Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #1711
Barike
Spindly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
I know this is a long shot, but hoping it's worth the attempt.

Any of the locals have a K1200S/K1300S that I could take a closer look at and maybe trade bikes for a few miles/couple hours? I'm considering looking at the K bikes as my next bike, and want to try one out.
Barike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #1712
Mental3dge
Based

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytigwire View Post
Cmon over to my house and borrow a TW for a bit if it gets too bad.
I may have to take you up on that offer! I wrenched on my scooter a bit today but it's a ways off from rideable.
Mental3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #1713
rustytigwire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Is Suzi gonna be ok?

Mental3dge what's the scoop. Is it gonna be ok?
rustytigwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:19 AM   #1714
Mental3dge
Based

Quote:
Mental3dge what's the scoop. Is it gonna be ok?
I picked it up yesterday, I filled up with shit gas apparently. If I hadn't jumped to the conclusion that it was worse I'd have fixed it myself and saved a bill. Does anyone local have experience adjusting valves? I've been second guessing my work and it would be nice to have another look at them and check to see if they're adjusted properly.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #1715
rustytigwire
Adventurer

Mystery machine ailments are a real drag

Good you got it figured out and up n runnin. I haven't done your valves but with all the tutorials and internet guidance you should be fine. No parts left, nothing falls off, makes good sounds not bad. You are just as capable as anyone else, probly even more careful as its YOUR ride.
Call it good and go!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #1716
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,848
http://dr650.zenseeker.net/ValveAdjustment.htm

Dr650 valve adjustment,,,seems pretty easy.
Screw and locknut to adjust, just make sure its at TDC!!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #1717
Firestone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Is surely an adventure just not fun. I rode a couple years in the 90s to work. All those miles make you sharp and experienced. Jedi Master stuff lol.
What tires are you doing all those miles with?
so far ate up a trailwing and a gp-110. About to run kenda 761's
Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 AM   #1718
Mental3dge
Based

I have already adjusted them and now it runs poorly, that's why the second guessing.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #1719
KingKroupa
WX Dude

Oddometer: 14
howdy

So this is my first post here but I have been lurking around for a while. I spent almost 10 riding dirt bikes but that was over 10 years ago. I just picked up a new WeeStrom and plan on pushing it's off road limits as much as I can.

I mostly looking for day trip stuff and possibly attending some meet and greats.

Would I be completely nuts to try and take my weestrom out to the grass track by Draper? I've been riding the dirt road that goes around the lake but I want something a little more involved but don't want to end up to over my head either.

Thanks y'all.
KingKroupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #1720
OKStriple
Street Adventurer

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barike View Post
I know this is a long shot, but hoping it's worth the attempt.

Any of the locals have a K1200S/K1300S that I could take a closer look at and maybe trade bikes for a few miles/couple hours? I'm considering looking at the K bikes as my next bike, and want to try one out.
A friend of mine had a K1300s that you could rent out of his store in Bricktown 2 years ago but the business went under. I think he sold that bike about 6 months ago. That was a fun bike to ride.
OKStriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #1721
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKroupa View Post
So this is my first post here but I have been lurking around for a while. I spent almost 10 riding dirt bikes but that was over 10 years ago. I just picked up a new WeeStrom and plan on pushing it's off road limits as much as I can.

I mostly looking for day trip stuff and possibly attending some meet and greats.

Would I be completely nuts to try and take my weestrom out to the grass track by Draper? I've been riding the dirt road that goes around the lake but I want something a little more involved but don't want to end up to over my head either.

Thanks y'all.
I put 50,000+ miles on a wee storm, rode it on the TAT, parts of the CDR and I've ridden dirt bikes at Draper for years. There's no reason not to take your storm on Draper's grass track, but on the other hand there's no reason to take it out there. You could ride it around the grass track and elsewhere but I'm not sure how much fun it would be.
I would say check out the OAT, v-strom is a great bike for that except for a little of the rougher stuff in eastern Okla.

Oklahoma Adventure Trail Link

On the wee storm you can ride highway to a section of the OAT, ride as much of it as you have time, even just a day ride, jump on a highway for an easy run home.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #1722
KingKroupa
WX Dude

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
I put 50,000+ miles on a wee storm, rode it on the TAT, parts of the CDR and I've ridden dirt bikes at Draper for years. There's no reason not to take your storm on Draper's grass track, but on the other hand there's no reason to take it out there. You could ride it around the grass track and elsewhere but I'm not sure how much fun it would be.
I would say check out the OAT, v-strom is a great bike for that except for a little of the rougher stuff in eastern Okla.

Oklahoma Adventure Trail Link

On the wee storm you can ride highway to a section of the OAT, ride as much of it as you have time, even just a day ride, jump on a highway for an easy run home.

I have been thinking about trying parts of the OAT but was going to wait until I got a real GPS (just using myphone for now) but I might se about trying it anyway. I was just thinking about Draper because it's close to my house.Thanks for the advice.
KingKroupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #1723
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKroupa View Post
I have been thinking about trying parts of the OAT but was going to wait until I got a real GPS (just using myphone for now) but I might se about trying it anyway. I was just thinking about Draper because it's close to my house.Thanks for the advice.
Yeah, a GPS is a great help riding the OAT. But I think you should be able to take an Oklahoma Gazetteer and highlight almost all of the OAT and be able to follow it. That and your phone you shouldn't have any trouble following the OAT.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #1724
rustytigwire
Adventurer

mental3dge

I had BMW R100s in olden days and could hear those valves ticking and ticking. sometimes they seemed a bit too loud so out come the feeler gauges... damn near wore that bike out keeping it on the straight and narrow.
My mistakes to overcome were this.

1)check the clearance after you snug the keeper nut down, if it isnt just right do it again.

2) you can force the gauge in and do your clearances too tight. it just needs to touch or rub just a little, an acquired taste if you will.

3) I had a bad habit of tightening the keeper nut too much. the adjustment moves when you tighten the nut. set them "out" so that when you are snug they end up "correct"

4) do them firm but gently and check, not there? back up and do it again.

5) they will not be EXACTLY xxx distance when you are done.

6) if you are truly desparate I would come over and go thru it with you. send me a pm if you want to

Good luck
Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #1725
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Arkansas 500

Hey All,

The last couple of years i have attended the Arkansas 500, and it is my favorite organized ride ever.

Arkansas 500 Thread Link

The official page link

I have had a great time every time i have been. There are folks from all over, with little bikes and big bikes. I've talked this up to lots of folks on the list, and now i'm letting you know it is time to sign up. I have vacation days off from work, and will sign up my self in the next day or two.

let me know if you have any questions...

Pedro over and out
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote