Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #451
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
[IMG]
photo by Okiemotorrad, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looks like I will have to shower and dig out the good boots to eat with you OKC guys
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #452
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2007 View Post
Looks like I will have to shower and dig out the good boots to eat with you OKC guys
Nahh, we're slumming it next time

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #453
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Oddometer: 265
Meet n Greet

It was good to see everyone again and to meet Shawnee Bill!
The Republic was a little fancy but still a good time.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #454
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

I was thinking about finding a good excuse to go buy another dirtbike for riding trails
but after ordering all the upgrades for the Ktm 950sm, that idea is shot. Still deciding
on what tires to get for the bike. Cont TK 80s or maybe the Pirelii MT 60rs.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #455
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Nahh, we're slumming it next time
We have to find a way to bring all those 20-something ladies that were at the Pub with us. Hmm..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #456
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
found a 2012 DRZ on craigslist in Whicita. Bike was north of Enid. The owner bought it and had a few low speed get offs. It looked brand new to me. Picked it up yesterday.

I think he would still be riding it if he had put a new front tire on it. I wouldn't give the stock tire to my enemies. First task is to put MT 21s the bike.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #457
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
found a 2012 drz on craigslist in whicita. Bike was north of enid. The owner bought it and had a few low speed get offs. It looked brand new to me. Picked it up yesterday.

i think he would still be riding it if he had put a new front tire on it. I wouldn't give the stock tire to my enemies. First task is to put mt 21s the bike.
rock on!!!!!!
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #458
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Refried Mexico Trip Report from 2006 part 1

It is 2006 and started with a conversation with Shawn at TJ’s KTM in Austin, I was ordering a part.
“It’s been real hard to go through all of Macks stuff. His mother asked me to get all of it together and sell what I can. Hey John, I have pair of riding pants that are in good shape but used. No one has been interested in them and he would have wanted you to have them. I am sure of that. I am going to send them to you.”, said Shawn. I thought to myself why would I want my deceased friends pants? This is really morbid; I am trying to put this behind me.
A couple of weeks later they arrived and I thought what am I going to do with these?

I put them in the closet.
Justin called a few days later and said they were doing an advanced trip that circumnavigated the Copper Canyon area that included some new trails he had discovered out of Chinipas.

Riding is great in Idaho but Mexico was calling. As the time grew closer I grabbed Macks riding pants, leaving my usual duds on the hangar before headed to Douglas Az.
I don’t know why I took them, it just felt like the right thing to do.

When I arrived at the border I met some of the others that had signed up for the tour, I knew this was going to be an aggressive ride. About 8 years ago I had ridden most of the trip except the Uruachi roads.

(my trip with Dan and the rest of the Austin crowd in 99)
We got our paper work together including a “get to know each other” during dinner. The next morning we made a run for Creel from Douglas with the bikes on Justin’s trailer. All the bikes but one had knobby tires. If we rode this leg the three hundred miles of pavement would definitely eat up a good chunk of them and it was cold.

We settled in Creel for the evening. The ride started the next morning without a hitch. Dennis was definitely waiting for us to get our act together.

That windshield lasted almost 4 days, I would have bet money it was going to bust off the 1st day, a tribute to Dennis smooth and steady riding ability. He rode every thing this trip dished out, he never complained. Dennis is definitely one to take the “road less traveled.” This bike was lowered at least 6 inches in the back with what I would call a touring type seat, complete with a small computer so he can do computations on the fly while navigating the many very un improved roads on this trip.

We finally launched our ride to Batopilas for the shake down run, an easy 45 miles of pavement, then an easy 45 of dirt to the wonderful little town of Batopillas.

(David Gale without a doubt the fastest rider in the group)
David was riding his specially prepared Honda 650 converted to 770. Bret the guy with the 525 KTM put this bike together for him.
Bret is a suspension guru for many of the top KTM factory riders; it was a real treat to get to know him. Bret is the real deal race mechanic with credits including many of the top riders as a mechanic for the KTM factory team including their Dakar effort, Kawasaki research and development, Yamaha factory efforts and many others.

We arrived without incident.

Every one was twisting the throttle a bit much, getting some angst out of the way before the real tour started the next day.
Most of the riders were testing the bikes and the terrain. We were all having a little fun, the exuberance of finally getting the wheels on the dirt.
After arriving in Batopila we took a walk around town. I got to know my roomie Mark… Dave and Bret joined us. Mark was about to find out how restless I sleep, I didn’t have the nerve to warn him. He never complained during the trip.

We saw the usual sights you would see in any Mexican village. We loved every minute of it.

That night after a good meal and after settling into Martins we walked around town. Batopillas is full of cantinas and is a pretty happening place. We downed a few beers before bed. The electricity is only on for a few hours each day and relaxing in front of the TV is not an option, hence the nightlife.

(Finishing off the last of my good bottle of rum)
I had made a promise to myself to at least get plenty of sleep. That included an alcohol reduction. I wanted to bear down on the riding more. That went out the window on the first day. I was on the biggest bike by far of the bunch. Justin was trying to keep the trip lean as the tour was billed as a DRZ 400 or equivalent trip, I was on this big 640 cc adventure. The group instantly nick named my bike the Valdez, it had a 6.2 gallon gas tank.
I didn’t get many comments after gassing up a few of the riders a couple of days later.
I also had some Ortlieb bags on the Valdez with tubes and things needed to fix a flat, something else that came in very handy for several of them.
Did I say we had flats? With all the talent on this ride and the amount of dirt stirred up by spinning rear wheels we had a record number flats, I lost count. There were 10 bikes and we had at least 1 flat per day and sometimes more. I did get my flat fixing time down to 20 minutes.

The next morning we started with a group shot in front of the old mission on the outskirts of Batopilas.

Then headed up the road taken in the advanced canyon ride, the first rough part of the trip.
Heading up a road that was on the way to El Fuerte we encountered the first rough part.

With a full tank of gas I made my way up the road wrestling a bit with the weight.

I loved how the bike took the rocks and ruts. The KTM suspension is light years ahead of anything I had used before. On my second set of rims with a nearly new bike but today I added my first dents navigating the ruts and rocks. I had turned the original Behr rims into stop signs in a month of riding the trails in Idaho. The new Exels were taking a beating too.

I was doing what I wanted and hoping that others were enjoying this too.

Our first of many water crossings…
Off we went through a number of dry creek beds. I would get my chance to ride terrain like that later in the trip. We arrived at what looked like a dirt super highway. I took the lead and pushed the bike a little harder than I should.
There were many hairpin turns and lots of traffic. Near the end of this section I came around a corner and surprise a new Ford truck barreling down on me with the Nascar number 24 on the window. I gassed the bike and just barely missed this knucklehead then realized this is not a race. I slowed back down and enjoyed the rest of the day riding a good steady clip and keeping it safe.

We forged on to the lodge on Huetes for night where we had a good fish dinner. bench racing followed on the patio that night. Nick never passed a chance to screw with a picture?

My Michelen Desert after two days. Ouch…
The accommodations were 3 to a room, so I spent the night with the two Canadians, Dan and Rob. They were great guys… who snore too. It was quite a trio that night. Rob woke me up finding his earplugs, I did warn them about my snoring.
From what I am told my snoring is world class. Complete with ramblings.

I even rated pictures a few days later in Chinipas

But here is the real master, Raul. I am but a small grasshopper in the presence of his serenade.
The trip was just getting started, things just got better.

That night at Huetes we changed Dennis’s tire with a spare knobby from the truck. He had reluctantly decided we might be right about the knobby tires being better than his trail wings or death wings as Mark called them. I probably offended Dennis the first day by trying to tell him those were not going to work very well. With most riders it’s kind of like kids, they tend to not listen when you start to criticize bike setup.
We got a “good nights sleep”, I got to know the two Canadians better.
It’s probably time to meet some of the guilty ones on this trip, starting with the two Canucks.

This is Rob and Dan. Rob is a millwright for the GM plant in Ontario. Dan is an investment banker from Ontario. Every Canadian rider I ever ridden with is just plain fast. I don’t know if that’s just by chance but these guys didn’t ruin my batting average. They were blisteringly fast. In fact they were so good that Justin didn’t have a problem renting them his old KLR’s for the trip. I don’t know if I am up to wielding one of those big bikes through those roads at the speeds we were traveling. Dan ended up breaking his foot later in the trip riding the KLR. They are great bikes but just a little to much for the terrain and pace.

This is Mark my roomie, it was like talking to Wilford Brimely. He is a former Marine and Viet Nam veteran. Having gone, served and sacrificed like he did, makes him a hero in my book.

If that wasn’t enough he was a damn good rider too. Full of opinions and good wit made him a necessary part of the team. It’s always a little awkward riding with strangers because of the unknowns. That’s what I like about these tours. Meeting some great people I normally wouldn’t traveling by myself.

We started the morning with a good meal then I left early to try to get some shots of the team. This is a few miles down the road towards El Fuerte.

We had a 30 mile pavement ride and stopped for gas and to fix our first flat for the day. I am seeing a new coffee table book, "The girls of PEMEX"

Bret showed us how to change a tire and do it in style.

Dennis was always chatting up the locals. This included the cute ones too.

With everyone gathered up in El Fuerte we headed to Alamos. We made an early morning stop along the road to get rid of our morning coffee and take a few pictures.

I accidentally put regular gas in my bike at the Pemex then it started pinging real bad. 640’s make a nasty sound when they ping. My 05 had an alternate ignition mapping for low octane fuel, I had put a switch on it for quick access and it worked.

It didn’t work as well as advertised but it did help. It’s supposed to drop the required octane from 94 to 85. I noticed some difference but not a lot.

The roads were alternating hard pack with lots of dust and occasional sand. We stopped in a small village to regroup.

David and Bret always had bubble gum and stickers to give out to the kids.

This character showed up.

We think there was some resemblance to Danny, Nicks friend and a cop from California.

More dust, and I got some time to wait at an intersection. We rode on what Justin called the buddy system. At each intersection you wait for the one behind you.

The day was still young. For me I took this leg and a pretty fast pace.

Bret told me over dinner that evening you could replace the cactus with the trees in Africa, “Its just like a lot of the Dakar route.” He was Larry Rosesler's Dakar wrench in 04. He said its no picnic.
I haden’t looked at the track log yet but I would have guessed we did it in about 3 hours. Speaking of the GPS, I purchased the Bici maps and they were wonderful. I was still using an old Garmin V. Over all the Bici collection was a huge success. Well worth the 39 bucks for this region. I also bought the Baja portion too.

I had time to look over the bike waiting for the rider behind me. The rear tire was looking pretty tired. With the pinging problem I was forced to take it easy on the throttle today. Interesting how I seemed to keep the speed up just fine by riding smoother.

On the last one intersection I waited with Ron from Houston. For a while we rode together. Ron’s a metallurgist and works for an oil company.

As we approached Alamos we stopped at the outlook for a break and a bite to eat.

They were serving coconuts with hot sauce on them. It was pretty disgusting sounding and tasted about how it looked.

Our ambassador Dennis struck up a conversation with some locals. We asked middle mom if she had ever been on a bike and would you like a ride she jumped at the chance.

We put our best rider up to the task. Her daughter and mother were waiting. I asked her mom if she wanted to ride and got this enthusiastic nod, yes! She was using a cane and when it came her turn the cane was tossed on the ground and we lifted her onto the bike. She was grinning ear to ear.

4 generations of this family. Nice people.
We waited for Raul and the truck. With the day still young we headed off for the Hacienda Justin had secured for the stay in Alamos.

We had time to do some maintenance on the bikes and laundry while relaxing. Cleaned the air filter for the second time. It was very caked and proved how totally inadequate the 640 air box system is.

Justin moving at light speed trying to keep it all together.

This looks like trouble

We went in for a great dinner in town. After we walked around enjoying the nightlife.

There was a festival happening and we ran into Maria and her daughter again.

Then Raul wanted to take us to some Mexican bar.

What a dive. Danny found a new hat and was busy impressing one of the locals.

We went back to the hacienda and retired for the next day. Chinipas awaits us.

Breakfast was a little tough the next morning but we got underway?

To my delight the road to Chinipas was on the bicimap and it was a real delight to ride.

There were fast sections and some reasonably technical areas for a 640 and rider.

A few hours later we gathered at the lookout over the Chinipas river time for some good shots.

Dave and Bret never passing up a chance to hand out treats to the kids.

This road was a full days ride 6 years earlier. This time it seemed to be ending too soon.

This is a bike we discovered on that ride in 2000
This was just an afternoon ride now.

The bikes are so much better and we are better riders now.

As we approached the river Justin wanted us to go to the bridge crossing. I remembered the area that is up stream where we crossed the first time in 2000.

(2000 trip with the Austin crowd)
I just couldn’t resist, taking off across this old memory. It got deeper and deeper finally the exhaust sounded like an outboard motor. The bike was struggling for traction then it finally died. I put my feet down in the water and filled my boots of course and I hit the starter. To my surprise it started and off we went for the other side. I guess that submerged air box I had been complaining about did its job and kept enough air to start the bike and get it running. With the waterproof Ortliebs the bike was almost floating right before it quit.
The Valdez didn’t let me down! I rode around town a few minutes, then down to the crossing with every one else.
The stragglers made the crossing with ease and there were no spills.

The hotel Centenario.

This was our least comfy hotel for the trip. The water was out. They let us even drive the bikes into the hotel for the night.

mars screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 03:02 PM
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #459
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 882
Snotcicle 2013

This Saturday...............good ride for a good cause. Any OKC guys/gals and those west want to join in on the fun?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=snotcicle

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #460
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsnowball View Post
This Saturday...............good ride for a good cause. Any OKC guys/gals and those west want to join in on the fun?

I'm going to try, but won't know my schedule until Friday.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #461
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Mexico

Good pics Mars! That looks like a great trip.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #462
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Mars, congratulations on the Drz! Have you taken it out for a spin yet?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #463
mars
Starbucks anyone?

haven't even had a chance to ride it yet. Very busy this week with a client from Chicago. I hope to get it out soon.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #464
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsnowball View Post

I was thinking about it real hard... but the boss says i'm working this weekend...

I think the weather should be good enough...
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #465
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 882
Snotcicle Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
I was thinking about it real hard... but the boss says i'm working this weekend...

I think the weather should be good enough...

Weather is going to be great. 65 and sunny. It just doesn't get any better than that for mid January.

The horses will love the gifts and the food is fantastic...

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote