Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #751
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Oddometer: 252
Welcome to the group Shov3BR. I look forward to riding with you!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #752
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I met Shov3BR today. Easygoing guy. He has done some real traveling on his KTM and has a few stories to tell. I'm looking forward to riding with him.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #753
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 263
Thanks for the welcome

Thanks to all for the welcome and thanks to RW for riding out to Pop's to meet me.
Had a bit of a scare on the way home. I looked down at my GPS & it was gone.
I had taken it out of the cradle to show RW and must not have gotten it seated correctly. I got lazy and broke my own rule of always attaching it with a lanyard.
Retraced my route and luckily there it was along side the road and better yet, it had no damage whatsoever. Talk about good fortune!
Two lessons learned.
1) If you have a rule follow it
2) The Garmin Montana is a tough GPS
Cheers,
Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #754
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,890
Kind of tough to come back to civilization to find out about the bombing. Setting in a restaurant with my friend Richard Black in Austin today when i found out, I was sitting in another restaurant with Richard back in 2011 when we heard about the Twin Towers. Coincidence, maybe?
Relaxing at my sons house right outside Austin in Lockhart today.

made it back from track day without a scratch. I felt obligated to ride in the beginners or group 1 because i hadn't ridden with them since 2004 and was quickly stifled on the R-1. Second day found me in Group 2 and wow, what a time. I got to stretch the legs on the R-1, I think I broke the 150 mph mark on the straight away at TWS. I learned and actually successfully trail braked some corners, a skill I highly recommend. I turned a not so respectful but consistent 2 minute and 22 second laps. Well I guess it was not too bad but the fast guys were doing 1 minute 50's. In my defense, I did pas a lot of people. I did get to ride with some amazingly fast guys. They did remind me that Texas has been the birthplace of many high profile road racers and the competition was stiff. I was probably the oldest guy in the level two but did see some oldsters in the level 3 class mostly comprised of CMRA experts. I am sending this from a mobile hotspot so will keep the pictures to a minimum until later.
All I can say is. I got a treat to rider improvement that many do not get. It took my riding level to a new high and I think I am probably riding the best I ever have.
The bike did great, the race plastics did their job but the enhanced ram air intake took the fuel mapping into uncharted territory. I felt a real definite surge at 110 mph on the straight that was prefaced with a small lag. I will contact Bazzaz about what to do next time.
Trashed a set of $400 tires in 220 miles.
I found the most rich affordable learning environment for riding that exist. I also saw some really amusing things from a few riders who showed up ready to teach everyone how to ride. Actually, it was hysterical. Then I was not on the business end of trying to teach them anything and in my opinion they were a waste of time.
Any how, 50% off for new attendees and the next track day is in two weeks at TWS. I had visions of riding a Ridesmart school at COTA in June and was reminded they sold out the session in 3 days of announcing it, rats!
More later.
cheers
mars
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #755
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Mars, the important thing is "Did you eat any Lockhart- area BBQ?"
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #756
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
Mars, the important thing is "Did you eat any Lockhart- area BBQ?"
I have before, the locals look at is as a tourist thing and a little pricey. My son is a chef and cooked a great dinner tonight: sauteed Brussel Sprouts and Salmon. Sounds weird but was great. We spent the rest of the evening on the porch BSing. I always liked Arts Rib House and they are closed. I will definitely eat there before we leave, I do like the sausage at Smitty's.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #757
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Just got back from the Arkansas 500

WHAT AN AWSOME RIDE!!!!!!!!!

This was my second year and unbelievably this one was better than last year... there was nice mix of some really technical stuff and beautiful scenery...

Not exaggerating, must have been at least 10 or more water crossings each day... some of them challenging.

There were a few noobies and even a guy with street tires who made all the routes.... small bikes, big bikes, people from every walk of life... great people, great routes, great everything...

Next year i'm taking some of you all with me... the Metro must REPRESENT!...

You should keep checking the the Arkansas 500 thread, folks are starting to post pics and reports...

We'll go riding soon... need to get a new back tire it is done wore out...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...858410&page=16

Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #758
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
Hey...

So there is a rumor going around that someone has a dirt road route going to the SLAP rally. Should i take a couple of days off of work to get there?

Who all is going for sure?

I know OKDQ is going and i'll ride alone with him if he'll let me....

SLAP LINK
Hey All...

Who all is going to SLAP? I saw Reddirtjoe and OKDQ on the list... I think it should be fun... i know some people from other states that are going... i think we should get more than three to represent the metro area...

PS>.. MRDIRTBIKERIDER when are we having our next meet and greet?... can i request a Wednesday?
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #759
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
The dirt road route to the SLAP area doesn't take all of one day. It is mostly pretty good roads so you can make good time.

I may be able to go to SLAP, not sure if I'll be in town then or not.

GL1800
FZ-1
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #760
Free Radical
High speed drifter

Oddometer: 1,401
Slap

Put me down as an absolute, definite, lead-pipe cinch MAYBE. I'll firm up plans a week in advance.

If I go, wouldn't mind tagging along with another. Will be riding the 06 f650gs on its maiden Ozark trip.

Jim

"A cheeseburger, a tank of gas, and the hell out of here!" -- Graffiti, Men's Room, Fontanelli's Tavern, Norman, OK c 1974
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #761
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 873
Laugh Comittment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
Put me down as an absolute, definite, lead-pipe cinch MAYBE. I'll firm up plans a week in advance.

If I go, wouldn't mind tagging along with another. Will be riding the 06 f650gs on its maiden Ozark trip.

Jim
I like your firm commitment to not commit.... you are starting to sound like Wild Bill..

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #762
Farscape
Oh, look! Orange koolaid!

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Hey All...

Who all is going to SLAP? I saw Reddirtjoe and OKDQ on the list... I think it should be fun... i know some people from other states that are going... i think we should get more than three to represent the metro area...

PS>.. MRDIRTBIKERIDER when are we having our next meet and greet?... can i request a Wednesday?
I'm heading over Friday morning from Edmond. I'll be taking the KTM 520 exc-r over on the back of my FJ Cruiser. The 520 is a WHOLE lot more fun than my 950 Adv. at SLAP.

Plus, I need all my creature comforts since we won't have the lodge this year...
Farscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #763
woodzrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Hey All...

Just did the hillbilly and had a great time! Would love to do SLAP but I know there is no lodging at Byrds. I have a 43 ft 5th wheel toyhauler but currently am between trucks to pull it and being as how I have NO camping gear (just a sleeping bag) may consider sleeping in the back of my Blazer. Have done this before but was a bit younger then.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #764
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

I've been checking out the pics from the Arkansas 500. Wow....some great pics. I'm mad at myself for missing that ride. No way I'm missing it next year!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #765
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Oklahoma Advriders Meet n Greet

We have a request for Wednesday so the next one will be Wed.
Where would everyone like the next meet be at?
I remember some people saying they liked the last place- Turek's Tavern
In Choctaw. We can meet there or a new place.