User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #1021
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Isle of Man TT

Anyone happen to catch this race last night? It was on Velocity channel.
It's on again tonight as well, me thinks around 9.

That is one sick race...........
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #1022
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzrider View Post
Anyone happen to catch this race last night? It was on Velocity channel.
It's on again tonight as well, me thinks around 9.

That is one sick race...........
takes a much braver man than me to ride that course at speed.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #1023
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
They had cameras attached to a few bikes. the camera views
were spectacular to say the least. I have no idea how fast those guys were going-possibly 190-200mph in some places. the ride-a-long cameras gave a pretty cool perspective on the speeds.

On a side note, why would anyone want to watch a riders ass slide from side to side? Yes they had a camera there too!!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #1024
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzrider View Post
They had cameras attached to a few bikes. the camera views
were spectacular to say the least. I have no idea how fast those guys were going-possibly 190-200mph in some places. the ride-a-long cameras gave a pretty cool perspective on the speeds.

On a side note, why would anyone want to watch a riders ass slide from side to side? Yes they had a camera there too!!!
very good point now that you mention it.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #1025
Fixator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
OAT weekend

Hey guys,

Still planning on making the OAT trip, but have to work Friday. Any guesstimates of about where I could meet up with you Friday evening? Got new Hidenau rear tire and anxious to try it out. It's only a 50/50, but after getting only 3500 miles out of the twinduro, this one looks like a better deal. According to guys on the Adv Designs website reviews, they are getting good performance and up to 7500 miles out of the tire on the GS.

Any chance of a meet n greet before the OAT? Any evening Tuesday through Thursday next week works for me. Turek's Tavern should allow for a quiet pre-ride beerstop if anyone's interested.
Fixator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #1026
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Any night works for me, it shouldn't be a problem to make contact on Friday. I will defer to Peter to make a high level decision. He put this thing together.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #1027
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixator View Post
Hey guys,

Still planning on making the OAT trip, but have to work Friday. Any guesstimates of about where I could meet up with you Friday evening? Got new Hidenau rear tire and anxious to try it out. It's only a 50/50, but after getting only 3500 miles out of the twinduro, this one looks like a better deal. According to guys on the Adv Designs website reviews, they are getting good performance and up to 7500 miles out of the tire on the GS.

Any chance of a meet n greet before the OAT? Any evening Tuesday through Thursday next week works for me. Turek's Tavern should allow for a quiet pre-ride beerstop if anyone's interested.
I can probably make a meet and greet next week, going to ride Arkansas pavement this weekend with my son.
But should be around all next week, probably looking for someplace to go, my sister-in-law is planning on showing up next week.

Got a new Hidenau on the way for the OAT. Good 50/50 tire, took me 9,000 miles to wear out the last one I had on the 800, it still had lots of miles of tread but it got so flat across the bottom I decided it was enough.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #1028
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 267
Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdirtbikerider View Post
I'm glad you guys have experience with GPS. I have never owned one. It's like a foreign language to me. I need to research a good GPS unit to buy. Any recommendations?
Sorry to be so late with this, been up at the home office in Wisconsin since last week.

For my money you can't beat the Garmin Montana. We are GPS poor since we need them for testing. We have an old ZUMO 450, 60CSx, Oregon, Montana and now a Zumo 350.

The Zumo 350 isn't bad with a screen size about the same as the Montana. It is now 5VDC (like USB) and only has two of those power contact dots in the cradle versus a bunch in the Zumo and Montana. I'm not sure how long they will last in an abusive environment like ADV riding.

You can't beat the flexibility of the Montana. There is no end of things that you can customize on it. There is a lot of info, hints and tips on the Montana thread.

And the screen is big enough even for old farts like me to read.

Last but not least, if you buy any Garmin GPS be sure to download BaseCamp. It is free and makes route and track planning super easy. I've been using it a lot planning our summer ride and plan to take it with me on a MS Surface Pro tablet so I can change stuff as we go along.
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #1029
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixator View Post
Hey guys,

Still planning on making the OAT trip, but have to work Friday. Any guesstimates of about where I could meet up with you Friday evening? .....

Question 1) My guess is somewhere in northeast Oklahoma, maybe on the other side of Pryor or farther down south. We won't be racing, and part of doing this we are going to try and document the trip, taking pictures and recording what was great and what needs to be changed. I'm saying all that because i could probably do the whole eastern section in a day and half, but were going to try and enjoy it. I'll text you and let you know were we are. But think Northeast Oklahoma, that way we'll be fresh and ready to go for the eastern north to south section. (one thought was Snowdale State Park or Spavinaw State Park, just depends what kind of time we make)

Question 2) I'd remind everyone that Tuesday is dollar taco night at Hugo's Tacos... but then it is only a couple of miles from my house and that makes me feel bad... I'm game for anywhere Tuesday or Wednesday
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #1030
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
Question 1) My guess is somewhere in northeast Oklahoma, maybe on the other side of Pryor or farther down south. We won't be racing, and part of doing this we are going to try and document the trip, taking pictures and recording what was great and what needs to be changed. I'm saying all that because i could probably do the whole eastern section in a day and half, but were going to try and enjoy it. I'll text you and let you know were we are. But think Northeast Oklahoma, that way we'll be fresh and ready to go for the eastern north to south section. (one thought was Snowdale State Park or Spavinaw State Park, just depends what kind of time we make)

Question 2) I'd remind everyone that Tuesday is dollar taco night at Hugo's Tacos... but then it is only a couple of miles from my house and that makes me feel bad... I'm game for anywhere Tuesday or Wednesday
I'll vote for dollar taco night. After all I missed it last time.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #1031
Fixator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Tuesday works for me, around 6:30 or 7. I'm up for anywhere, taco's are always good.
Fixator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #1032
Barike
Spindly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Tuesday won't work for me anymore, but don't let that stop y'all, school started for the summer for me today :) taking Unix/Linux

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #1033
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
You poor thing, lol...another tender organism sucked across the event horizon toward the Sudo abyss
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #1034
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barike View Post
Tuesday won't work for me anymore, but don't let that stop y'all, school started for the summer for me today :) taking Unix/Linux

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barike, unfortunately you will never get a break from these guys!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #1035
mars
Starbucks anyone?

I started mounting two Hidenau tires last night and they are not as bad as I thought. They are a really heavy chunk of rubber. The unsprung weight addition will be over 5 lbs. for the tires and with the new mother of all tubes even more.

I am squeezing the tube pretty hard, I bet they weigh at least 3 lbs each. I couldn't believe what revzilla wanted for these. 69 per tube. I ended up with my old favorite rockymountain atv. The tires were here in two days with free shipping and no surcharge.

I should have some serious gyroscopic effect going. It is going to reduce the filckability a lot, my prediction.