Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #1201
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
Well, THAT was a warm ride, lol. Dadayama, that route of yours was known and nine bikes followed it down to Mt. Scott. Mt. Scott was actually a few degrees cooler at the top, and then The Old Plantation Restaurant was wayyyy cooler and more pleasant, lol...the salmon was outstanding, and I didn't want to leave, but am going to see a show tonight so had to get back out in the heat. We scorched...no pun intended...back up the turnpike in order to minimize the time in the heat, now back and sitting in a tub of ice water :). I have to admit, my resolve to be ATGATT was sorely tested about 2 PM, but a bottle of water down my shirt allowed me to persevere until Yukon, whew! Looking forward to some cooler weather.

I got my Zumo 550 back, going to research and see if it will handle the files you guys have created for OAT. I now go to prepare for The King and I...which is to say a cold shower while drinking Snapple :).

NOTE: Why don't they make mesh and armor in WHITE, lol
Old 07-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #1202
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
OKIE i Colorado

As some of you know, I just got back from a week (6days) in Colorado.
I'm not any good a writing so bear with me. I don't have as many pics as I wanted but I have enough. As we all have experienced at one time or another, even the best laid plans are known to change. This is no different. We left late on June 28th (Thurs). and arrived at our rent house in Silverton late Saturday afternoon. Our first ride Sunday was to Engineer Pass. We first had to stop to pick up Mike as he was staying in a Rv campground up the road from us.

Mike checking the air in his DRZ400

Ken and I waiting for Mike!!! Hurry up Mike! I'm taking the pic.....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #1203
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

2 pics on the way up Engineer Pass.

Mike at the Summit.

Yours Truly...

We went from here into Lake City to look around and eat lunch. We ate at a BBQ joint in town ( the name eludes me but the sign does say "biker
friendly") and then filled up and made our way back to Silverton by way of
Cinnamon Pass. Three miles out of lake City where the turnoff to Cinnamon Pass is we saw this lake. It is Lake San Cristobal. very nice I thought.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #1204
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Onwards to Cinnamon Pass

On the way up to Cinnamon Pass (I was leading), I noticed a car stopped on the side of the road with a couple in it. As I started to pass, I noticed the driver had a camera stuck out the window (I see this a lot BTW). I turned to see what she was shooting and nearly crashed trying to stop on the loose dirt and rock road. I wound up in the ditch but did not crash.
Here is what I saw:

It was a Cow? Moose with calf. The calf was playing in the water as momma stood guard. By the time I could get my camera out the calf was done. We stopped for a while to see if the calf was gonna play any more but didn't. I apologized to the driver for ruining her shot but she said she had plenty of pics. The sight was pretty awesome. Nature at its best!

We made it to Cinnamon pass and on back to Silverton just in time for dinner. Total miles I think were around 68 for the day.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #1205
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

More Colorado

The next day would be an ATV day with the wives. Although we didn't cover as many miles as we can on bikes, we still made a good day of riding. We would head towards California pass and see what happens from there.

This sign speaks for itself.

Another angle from the same spot. This is Lake Como.

A closer view of Lake Como. It is clear, deep and COLD. Did I mention beautiful?

We had to go over this pass to get to Corkscrew Gulch. On the way up to California Pass, we passed about 20 people on large adventure bikes. Don't know if any were inmates or not as we didn't stop to chat.

This is the entrance to Corkscrew Gulch from Hiway 550 between Red Mnt. Pass and Ouray. I will pass this sign several more times later on. We turned around and went back from here. We went back to the top of California Pass and went in to Silverton another way to make a big loop.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #1206
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Ride 3

Ride 3 was a bike ride and would turn out to be an epic fail. Our plan was to take Ophir Pass to 149? and slab to Telluride ride up Imogene Pass to Ouray. Grab lunch Head up and do Black Bear Pass into Telluride and back to Silverton. Remember at the start I mention the best laid plans......?
Well, here we are. Ken, Mike and I heard over Ophir Pass in to Ophir where
I see the smallest Post Office I've ever seen:

Ken wasn't feeling good that day so he headed back from here. Now it's just Mike and myself. He head into Telluride and ride to the east? end of town to find the way to Imogene Pass. After a little looking we stopped and asked a local for directions and he obliged. Note: Take the main road
east of town and turn left on OAK ave, go to end and turn right at the house. it is a narrow road and looks like you ride through someones front yard. We stopped a took a few photos on the way up Imogene.

Looking across valley at Bridal Veil Falls. the powerhouse is the white building at top of falls.

This is the switchbacks of Black Bear Pass!

On top of Imogene Pass. Things began to go downhill from here.....
Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #1207
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Ride 3 cont'd

Mike and I started down the backside of Imogene towards Ouray and all was going well for now. The first few miles are fairly rough with large boulders strewn about and some semi-technical downhills but nothing to
gnarly. We passed a rider going up this section on a KTM 990. We had made it through the rougher parts and it was getting easier now. There is a bridge approx. I/3 the way to Ouray and this is where things started to un ravel. Mike's DRZ hadn't idled well the whole trip and this time just up and died just as he was crossing this bridge. His battery wouldn't crank the starter so he tried the kick starter until he couldn't kick any more.
He finally just let it coast downhill and bump started the bike and off we went. There is a mine about 2 miles further down the mountain where I stopped to tell mike about the place when he pulled up next to me and said his motor was rattling BAD. I took a listen and sure enough it was nasty. I suspected the cam chain tensioner. I told mike it was all downhill and to just coast as far as he can into town. That Suzuki probably coasted faster than it ever ran!!!!! Just kiddin' Mike. Anyways, we make it to the edge of Ouray. Mike asked the first person he found if they knew of a bike shop in town that could help him out. They told him there was a garage ate the other end of town that might be able to help. Mike kicks the bike a few times and it finally fired and off he went with me close behind. Now if you haven't been to Ouray before it has more crosswalks
than New York City (it seems anyways) and everyone has a pedestrian in it which means a lot of stopping. We were about a half mile away from the garage when Mikes bike finally cashed it in. I wound up pulling him the rest of the way to the garage. Black Bear Pass would elude us this year.
Mike had the wild idea that I would pull him back to Silverton. I politely told him NFW! This would be double suicide. I told him to stay put and I'll ride back to Silverton to get the truck. This was about 2:30 pm. So I gassed up and ate a quick snack and told Mike I'll be back in about 1-1/2 to 2 hours and don't wonder off.
Now I thought to myself I finally get to burn up 550 on a bike even if it was just a dirt bike. I was looking forward to it. I was giggling to myself like a little school boy thinking about it. But hell no-it wasn't going to happen. Just as I was just starting to get a rush, a friggin' semi truck hauling LPG pulled out in front of me heading the same direction. Now I'll give the driver credit-he did the speed limit which is 25MPH. I'm not stupid.
I'm not very familiar with hiway 550 so I wasn't going to take any real
unnecessary chances with passing this semi truck with so many blind turns so I just laid back and cruised till he got to open (straight) road.
Needless to say I only got to burn 550 from Red Mtn Pass to Silverton.
I got Ken and his truck and headed back to get Mike. and found him right where I left him. We got back to Silverton about 6:00 pm. Ken took a long nap when he got back earlier and felt much better. The following day was July 4th so we didn't ride that day, however things continued to go downhill for Mike involving one of his dogs and he wound up leaving for OKC the next day instead of Saturday. We got one more half day on ATV's and a half day on bikes but no photos were taken on these rides.

All in all , it was a good trip despite the problems. My KTM ran flawless
the whole trip ( I love FI). Mike isn't sure what he will do regarding his DRZ.
Ken was riding a YZ250 2T. Although he rejetted, he still had a few issues.
Can't wait till next time But I'm thinking a Baja trip is in the near future.
See ya soon.

Robert
Old 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #1208
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
that looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #1209
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 652
Cool, Robert, wish that I'd been along. As I was reading this I kept hoping you guys had done that trail that we found the snow up high on year before last. What was it,,,,,,Poughkeepsie Gulch? Yeah.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #1210
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post
Cool, Robert, wish that I'd been along. As I was reading this I kept hoping you guys had done that trail that we found the snow up high on year before last. What was it,,,,,,Poughkeepsie Gulch? Yeah.
Dick-How are ya? We considered doing Poughkeepsie as we were right on top of it until we told Mike what it was. Then decided against it as Mike's bike wasn't running just right we were about to find out later on in the story!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #1211
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzrider View Post
Dick-How are ya? We considered doing Poughkeepsie as we were right on top of it until we told Mike what it was. Then decided against it as Mike's bike wasn't running just right we were about to find out later on in the story!
We tried poukeepsie about three years ago and not too far up the trail was a long rock garden, scratch that, boulder garden and I was on my WR250 and stalled and could never get going enough to make it to the top of the rock garden section - turned around and gave up. I heard the trail is much easier going in the opposite direction, but we never tried it that way.

Looks like you had a good time despite all the issues. Makes me want a 500 EXC even more!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #1212
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 652
Dam shame about Mike's bike. Maybe now he can talk himself into getting one of those 500 katooms. And Ken too. If I ever wear out my Yamaha again, I'm going to get one.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #1213
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Woodzrider, thanks for all the great pics and memories. Wife and I have gone up there for 20+ years in our various 4X4s, all those trails are intimately familiar. I often wondered about doing them on a bike, may have to do it now, lol. See a lot of crew cab ATVs doing them, too. Poughkeepsie...woh, that would be gnarly on a small bike, some of the rock piles are so big you could get stuck in the cracks, lol. I've made it over on a few of my more modded vehicles, but keeping two narrow wheels from cratering would be an adventure, and when the snow is still on the ground...religious experience, lol.

Oh, and we've never seen a moose in all those years, awesome!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #1214
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Thanks. Dickosaurus and I went up that same rock gargen on Poughkeepsie a few years ago, and yes it was gnarly. You MUST have momentum or you won't make it. What made things worse, there was a broken jeep halfway up the rock garden. The ironic thing was after getting
through the rock garden, I was was stopped by a small snow drift a little further up the trail and we had to come back down that same rock garden.
It wasn't much easier that direction either.
Glad you enjoyed the RR.

Robert

woodzrider screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 01:40 PM Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #1215
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

I was almost to that same spot in a lifted 71 Blazer once, making headway, when we hit the magic altitude and my Edelbrock carb just gave up the ghost and she died and wouldn't start...had to slide down backwards many yards, with no power brakes, lol...my wife got out and watched ;). Now you gave me the burn to get back up there, thanks.