Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #1291
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtrider View Post
I've ridden orange since...well, since they were white, and I've always traded at Ajax and still do. But I have to put in a couple of kudos for Nate and Steve at Mid America Cycle off of I-35 and Waterloo Road. Nate works on anything with two wheels, while Steve works on 4 wheelers and side by sides. Both excellent mechanics.

I have always done my own work, but lately I've been too busy, and I have rides coming up. Nate did some work for me on three different bikes, and could have ripped my head off... several times. I have found him to be not only GREAT at wrenching, but super honest and a really nice guy. If he finds something unusual, worn or broken in the process of repairs, he always calls first. A couple of times, he fixed something that was pretty minor that I had misdiagnosed and thought was going to be very costly.

Highly recommended if you need a wrench or don't have the time to do it yourself. Especially if you are on the north side, or the Edmond area.
Good to know since I'm in Edmond and still learning my way around the OKC area. The closer the better for me.

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #1292
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
Ricky, look up the "motorcycle batteries" thread, started by fellow Okie "Cy." That thread will boggle your mind. Cy can answer just about any question concerning LiFePO4 batteries.
Woh I got through that thread, lol, and I came out with a few good pieces of info that stayed in the ole noggin. My riding buddy of many years just put in a Lithium iron version in one of his bikes, so far he is liking it. I decided to watch how his operates before I go all in, although if they were small enough I would be tempted to make a little tray in the abs void so I could pull the battery out if need be instead of removing the tank, which is annoying, lol.

At this moment my PRO-LOGIX PL2320 charger (newly purchased today) has been working on the Odyssey battery, and it quickly came back up from 6.18v, so we shall see if it can hold a charge after this charger goes through its automated steps. I will let it desulfate for a few days if it wants to, and then I will test the Odyssey again. It bodes well that it went up to 13.5 pretty quickly and reached 95% before I reduced the amps to 2 and then started it over. Assume it will reach the recon step and do its thing until it is satisfied. Voltage is holding steady at 13.5-13.6 so I have no fear it will push the voltage too high.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #1293
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Woh I got through that thread, lol, and I came out with a few good pieces of info that stayed in the ole noggin. My riding buddy of many years just put in a Lithium iron version in one of his bikes, so far he is liking it. I decided to watch how his operates before I go all in, although if they were small enough I would be tempted to make a little tray in the abs void so I could pull the battery out if need be instead of removing the tank, which is annoying, lol.

At this moment my PRO-LOGIX PL2320 charger (newly purchased today) has been working on the Odyssey battery, and it quickly came back up from 6.18v, so we shall see if it can hold a charge after this charger goes through its automated steps. I will let it desulfate for a few days if it wants to, and then I will test the Odyssey again. It bodes well that it went up to 13.5 pretty quickly and reached 95% before I reduced the amps to 2 and then started it over. Assume it will reach the recon step and do its thing until it is satisfied. Voltage is holding steady at 13.5-13.6 so I have no fear it will push the voltage too high.
i was having some batery issues, but mine isnt' sealed. a little distilled water and a day on the trickle charger and it was back to good.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #1294
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,978
Quote:
Note: said lithium ion on title, meant lithium-iron, sorry.

Hey guys, I've had an Odyssey batt on my R1150R for several years, and it is starting to not keep a charge while sitting for a week or more...i know, why is it sitting for a week, lol...anyway, has anyone been using a Lithium-iron (Li-FE) battery with good results? I have a friend who has one on a Triumph Thruxton, wondered how it turns over an R, thanks. I also don't have major wattage needs, a couple of led driving lights, etc, thanks.

I am a rookie in this thread, but hope no one leaves just as I'm slowly getting to know people :).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
Ricky, look up the "motorcycle batteries" thread, started by fellow Okie "Cy." That thread will boggle your mind. Cy can answer just about any question concerning LiFePO4 batteries.
Newner just give me a heads up this battery discussion was going on .. be glad to help out anyway I can.

rogerwilco .. that battery thread boggles my mind too

here's the latest projects: Anti Gravity just send me a Micro-Start personal power pack with jump start to test.

Just received from Earth-X the latest generation of LiFePo4. with what promises to be the most advanced LiFePo4 motorcycle battery yet. it's the first Motorcycle battery with internal balance, overcharge and under discharge protection using MOFETS rated to 600amps.

_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #1295
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Not cheap (249 for the etx24c) but if it would slide in the empty spot in front of the current battery location (swap my horn into that spot), and I could remove it when needed, that would be worth it

http://earthxmotorsports.com/product...-stone/etx24c/
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #1296
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not cheap (249 for the etx24c) but if it would slide in the empty spot in front of the current battery location (swap my horn into that spot), and I could remove it when needed, that would be worth it

http://earthxmotorsports.com/product...-stone/etx24c/
ETX 24c is an outstanding LiFePO4 battery and would do starting duties without problems in most conditions. but it gets cold in OKC and some of us ride all year. some on extended trips to remote locations in cold weather.

BMW recommends a 19AH Gel for R1150R (GS), which I don't recommend due to special lower charging requirements of Gel.

my recommendations is to go with 19H AGM unless saving weight is more important than saving $$. if decide benefits of saving 10+lb is worth the $$$ ... go with ETX24 (5.5AH actual @ 1amp drain) for fair weather use. for adventure duties to parts unknown, including starting at below 30f .. go with ETX36 (13AH actual).

ETX36 is what I'm currently running in R80G/S as part of a long term test. starting duties on an airhead are much more severe than R1150GS in lower temps, say at 25f.

Shorai LFX36 (13AH actual) has also proved itself for cold weather starts 25f and colder on R80G/S in Oklahoma weather.

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 07:49 PM
Old 08-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #1297
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 267
Battery Saga

I've been around and around with batteries trying to find something I liked but didn't post on this thread before since there isn't anything that I can offer other than personal preference.

Here's my three battery saga:

1) I ran a Shorai on my Europe/Central Asia ride. I forgot to disconnect it when I shipped the bike to the UK (don't tell the airline). It was dead flat when it arrived and common wisdom said it shouldn't have been able to be recharged. I didn't have my Shorai charger so I just jump started it and rode off into the sunset counting on the KTM's charging system to charge it. It worked fine throughout the ride (8,000+ miles).

2) The bike sat again for a long time when we moved from CA to OK. Again, the Shorai was dead flat. This time I couldn't get the Shorai charger to bring it back to life. I thought what the heck, it's junk anyway, I'll try kicking the snot out of it with a 6A automotive charger. That got its attention. It came back to life and was then able to complete the charge with the Shorai charger.
3) Wasn't happy with having to drop the skid plate to access the battery for charging so here's where I went from there going from Shorai to Anti-Gravity to Earth-X:
Here's a link to my posts on the topic:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=7888

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=8040

Ran the Earth-X on my recent Arctic Circle ride. No problems whatsoever.

-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #1298
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
I've been around and around with batteries trying to find something I liked but didn't post on this thread before since there isn't anything that I can offer other than personal preference.

Here's my three battery saga:

1) I ran a Shorai on my Europe/Central Asia ride. I forgot to disconnect it when I shipped the bike to the UK (don't tell the airline). It was dead flat when it arrived and common wisdom said it shouldn't have been able to be recharged. I didn't have my Shorai charger so I just jump started it and rode off into the sunset counting on the KTM's charging system to charge it. It worked fine throughout the ride (8,000+ miles).

2) The bike sat again for a long time when we moved from CA to OK. Again, the Shorai was dead flat. This time I couldn't get the Shorai charger to bring it back to life. I thought what the heck, it's junk anyway, I'll try kicking the snot out of it with a 6A automotive charger. That got its attention. It came back to life and was then able to complete the charge with the Shorai charger.
3) Wasn't happy with having to drop the skid plate to access the battery for charging so here's where I went from there going from Shorai to Anti-Gravity to Earth-X:
Here's a link to my posts on the topic:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=7888

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=8040

Ran the Earth-X on my recent Arctic Circle ride. No problems whatsoever.

-Shov
excellent feedback .. Earth-X makes one fine LiFePO4 battery! with internal cell balancing, most any PB battery charger will work. your picture shows an EarthX ETX24c (6.5AH actual @ 1amp drain)

now with latest gen of Earth-X with MOSFET protection from overcharge and under discharge. your battery is protected from overcharge if/when your rectifier/regulator fails and sends 18v to 40v to battery, essentially killing it in short order.

one common problem with modern bikes is the relatively large parasitic drain. if left without riding and/or battery charge upkeep. LiFePO4 or any other battery goes dead from sitting. just that with smaller actual AH LiFePO4 reserve capacities... draining to dead is more of a problem with LiFePO4.

Earth-X is the first LiFePO4 motorcycle battery that I'm aware of to offer under discharge protection. when voltage drops below a set volt. internal MOSFETS will disconnect main current buss from cells.

this is a HUGE engineering feat! most LiFePO4 batteries will peak at 375+ amps. Earth-X has over rated their MOSFETS to survive 600amps.

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 07:55 PM
Old 08-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #1299
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

I am very happy the Odyssey came back like it did after being down to 6v, if it shows 13v tonight when I get home I will assume it will hold the charge, but it is a smokin-hot pain if I have to get to it, lol. Going to measure the open area tonight and see if it would hold one of these smaller ones. 15 pds for the Odyssey is nothing, just the aggravation, lol.

I don't ride during severely cold weather, I think the ease of access is more of a selling point than the drop in performance for me.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #1300
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am very happy the Odyssey came back like it did after being down to 6v, if it shows 13v tonight when I get home I will assume it will hold the charge, but it is a smokin-hot pain if I have to get to it, lol. Going to measure the open area tonight and see if it would hold one of these smaller ones. 15 pds for the Odyssey is nothing, just the aggravation, lol.

I don't ride during severely cold weather, I think the ease of access is more of a selling point than the drop in performance for me.
Odyssey makes one of the best AGM available. they have a reputation for recovering from dead better than most.

charge with a car sized PB charger until battery is fully charged. then rest overnight... measure with a know to be correct meter. a fully charged AGM will read 12.6v to 12.8v range resting.

if say your Odyssey reads resting 12.8v .. then do a load test by starting your motorcycle.

if Odyssey passes both tests .. odds are your AGM is fine ..
Old 08-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #1301
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Thanks, Cy...this morning at 6:30 it was at 14 v after going through the Pro-Logix 7 step process, no errors shown. Just now it was 13.95v, I may put it back on just to see if it detects anything, then will hook it to the headlights and see how it goes. My sitting voltage at the moment is higher than your mentioned one, but these things can have a range of "normal" that i have seen, and as long as I don't charge over 15v I am good. Looking at the user manual it talks about anything over 12.85 being at 100%. Now I'm off to see if this thing will go into the abs area sideways, lol, or else.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/file...M-006_0208.pdf

I wanted to mention this charger has an Exercise step where it puts a load on the batt and then recharges. If it sees a problem it gives an error code. Battery seems to be in good health.

Update: Well now I am getting a couple of different numbers, lol. My new charger tells me the voltage is 12.95 when I just hook it up, and that is a full volt less than my dvm tells me...but it has let a hard life so I am going to find a newer one and test and see if it is more in line with the charger...after I watch a few old Castle episodes :)

Ricky Chuck screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 05:27 PM
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #1302
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Hamburger Cookout Sept. 21st Sulphur OK

OK... so i'm always mentioning these BMW events and such, it is only because I own one and i'm on the mailing list.

The Lone Star BMW Riders (Dallas Texas) has an annual ride to eat event in Sulphur every year. I have never been able to make it, but i know that there are always a bunch of okies that show up. Don't think you have to ride a BMW to attend, i saw that there is a vstrom and a goldwing attending already. BMW folks are more laid back then some think.

Any ways here is the link to the web page

What the Texans do is ride up either paved or dirt roads, their dirt road route actually travels about ten miles of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail.

Here is their spiel:

Overview Come join us in Sulphur, OK, at the Chickasaw National Recreation Area for our Annual Hamburger Cookout. We'll do the cooking, just pick out a great route and bring your friends. The cost will be a $5 donation.
The Route We will be offering a ride from Frisco, TX, to Sulphur. The route will zig zag up to the cookout. It will involve only a few one lane roads at slower speeds and some farm-to-market roads that will be quicker. However, we encourage you to be creative and plan your own route if you choose. This is a great opportunity to get out with a couple of your friends and enjoy the day.
We will have several ride leaders who will take groups as needed. If you have any special requirements for the group ride, then please express those to one of the ride committee members so we can help make the ride more enjoyable.

We will meet and depart from the Market Street Convenience Store located on the NW corner of Dallas North Tollway & El Dorado in Frisco. The group ride will DEPART Frisco at 8 am. We will meet previous to 8 am (it is suggested that you be there by 7:30 am) and coordinate riders into groups.

If there is enough interest, we'll also have a Dual-Sport ride.

We plan on stopping for Fried Pies on the way to Sulphur and eat our desert before the main meal!

Activities The hamburger cookout will be in the Bromide Pavilion area near the 12th street entrance to the park. Just look for the friendly faces.
PLEASE NOTE: We do NOT recommend riding your bike through the water crossing at the park. It is not necessary to cross the water and we suspect moss at the bottom of the water. Please be safe. Also, the park is alcohol free, so please don't bring alcoholic beverages.

Registration Help us organize a better event by indicating that you are coming and how you plan to ride to Sulphur.

Click Here to Register See who has already registered
GPS Routes Here are routes to Chicasaw National Recreation area.
Click here for the GPS route (paved) for the ride from Frisco to Sulphur
Click here for the GPS route (non-paved) for the Dual-Sport trail from Frisco to Sulphur
Questions/Information For more information contact:
Herman van Beek: webmaster@lonestarbmwriders.org
Phone: 972.596.9524
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #1303
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Thanks, Yama, it's always good to meet up with people from far away,
third-world places like Dallas :). Reminds me, I should rejoin so I can get the mag again.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #1304
Mental3dge
Based

Oddometer: 65
Norman noob

Hi all, I'm a fairly novice rider from the Norman area. Anyone down for a meet and greet or a ride sometime soon?
Mental3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #1305
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Welcome to the forum! Someone gets a M&G, or a nice little ride, going every so often.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote