Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #61
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
It's suprising to see how many people are already writing Ben off. He won a race last year,nearly two if the Yamaha would have had the acceleration of the Honda. How longs it been since a non-alien won (or nearly won at least) two races in a season.Lets not forget he put a sattelite bike on pole in 2010.He's no slouch,he'll be on the top step this year. He's made his bicycling passion very public, but i've read more than one interview where he said roadracing is still #1 in his heart.
sprocketjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #62
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
I watched the Moto2 qualifying; seeing those guys sliding was great. Lots of different lines through the corners.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #63
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
It looks like it could be one hell of a race if the conditions are a bit iffy...
Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #64
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
It is kind of crazy to see people write others off with only 1 race into the season haha. ROSSI'S ALL WASHED UP NOW. BEN SPIES CARES MORE ABOUT THE BICYCLES. It's nuts. Anyhow, I think all the Spies stuff is that we expected him to come out of the gate just roaring strong and win his first year on the tech 3 bike. Then when that didn't happen OK Sat bike time he'll win now! Which he did win a race, which no one but a few have done in the 800 series. So really just goes to show you how good he has done that we expect so much of him now.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #65
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
It is kind of crazy to see people write others off with only 1 race into the season haha. ROSSI'S ALL WASHED UP NOW. BEN SPIES CARES MORE ABOUT THE BICYCLES. It's nuts. Anyhow, I think all the Spies stuff is that we expected him to come out of the gate just roaring strong and win his first year on the tech 3 bike. Then when that didn't happen OK Sat bike time he'll win now! Which he did win a race, which no one but a few have done in the 800 series. So really just goes to show you how good he has done that we expect so much of him now.
I haven't seen much from Ben about how he's adapting to the 1000. Some riders seem to like it more than others.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #66
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
I haven't seen much from Ben about how he's adapting to the 1000. Some riders seem to like it more than others.
He isn't the most verbose guy. In winter testing he was always right up there with Lorenzo, Pedrosa, and Stoner.

At Qatar, he was right up there too until the crashes bent up his #1 bike and #2 would not run. Thus, he was stuck riding the bent up #1 which chattered the rear wheel off the ground through the corners. Yep, he is mentally broken. Time to pack it in.

He was clearly not impressed that his second bike would not run and that Yamaha could not get it to run at Qatar.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #67
mdubya
Right Brigade

Julian Ryder does his typically excellent job of putting it all in perspective:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Apr/120428mnze.htm
Old 04-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #68
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,037
I like Nicky Hayden.
He's a racer, no crap about him, he just wants to race. You can see when he's pissed off, happy, ecstatic (the little dance on the podium years ago I still remember!), trying to be diplomatic or not.
Hope he wins the thing, good on him.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #69
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
Ian Wheeler@ianwheeler Nicky Hayden's never say die attitude never fails to impress me. He deserves every success just for his great attitude.

That pretty much says it all. It's only one race in, hopes and dreams of Nicky going balls to the wall and taking it all still prevail. Love that guy(no homo).
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #70
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,479
Spies may like racing bicycles more than motorcycles, but I don't think he will be making quite the same salary by pedaling, and he surely won't be making the same salary if he doesn't start getting some results.
saying that, good for Nicky on the strong qualifying, hope he can make it good for the race.
rossi? maybe he should go to church instead.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #71
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
No, top 6 isn't a failure. FFS, he has made it to the most rarified realm of motorcycle roadracing, even that by itself isn't a failure. I think the reason people see him not being up front consistently as a "failure" is his history in racing. MotoGP is the first racing arena he can't seem to do that in.
Everything you say is true, but Ben is proving to be a journeyman. He's never been a journeyman before. What do prodigies do when they learn they are just journeymen?

Quit?

Then what...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #72
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Everything you say is true, but Ben is proving to be a journeyman. He's never been a journeyman before. What do prodigies do when they learn they are just journeymen?

Quit?

Then what...
They work harder, instead of giving up, as far too many here are implying.

Apprentice, journeyman, then master...all are levels that even the gifted riders progress through, so what is the problem?...

NOBODY in these forums is qualified enough to carry his lunch to him, yet y'all are suggesting that he quit?.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #73
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post
They work harder, instead of giving up, as far too many here are implying.

Apprentice, journeyman, then master...all are levels that even the gifted riders progress through, so what is the problem?...

NOBODY in these forums is qualified enough to carry his lunch to him, yet y'all are suggesting that he quit?.
Good perspective. Thanks. The only problem I have is the same as Yamaha. They expect more. There is a lot of talent coming up. Ben probably isn't the guy they hoped.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #74
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
he is a bit of an enigma to me,Young Mr Spies.He is obviously pretty fast,faster then dovi i think if everything else is even.Not 100 percent sure if he up there with the Aliens,but even they are fallible as VR shows.Its a knife edge they walk obviously.Something(s) are holding him back i feel but i dont know what.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #75
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Good perspective. Thanks. The only problem I have is the same as Yamaha. They expect more. There is a lot of talent coming up. Ben probably isn't the guy they hoped.
With all due respect, P, his last two Moto GP results are 2nd and 12th. The 12th was on a broken bike and due to a team unable to make his back up bike run. Ben isn't the problem.