truckwash
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #32
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
What do you use to polish the stainless exhaust? Mine has some staining that metal polishes won't touch.
Barkeeper's Friend. Google it.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #33
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
Barkeeper's Friend. Google it.
Google it? I've been using it for years and it was the third thing I tried on the stainless exhaust. Took the gold color off but did nothing for the darker stains. I went to the local Harley shop and found a package of Blue-Job, but at $1/gm , I thought I would look elsewhere.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #34
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Is the exhaust stainless, or chrome? If it is chrome, use steel wool, and soft scrub cleanser. Neither of these will scratch at all, in fact they will polish, but are good at removing stains, and burned on bugs, etc.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #35
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Quote:
Google it? I've been using it for years and it was the third thing I tried on the stainless exhaust. Took the gold color off but did nothing for the darker stains. I went to the local Harley shop and found a package of Blue-Job, but at $1/gm , I thought I would look elsewhere.
I've got an Epco SS exhaust on my /6. For tough stains I use 3M fine 800 to 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper with Barkeepers....applied wet in a paste. The great thing about SS is you can be surprisingly aggressive, and restore the finish. Nice as brand new? No. Really great looking? Yes.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #36
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
I've got an Epco SS exhaust on my /6. For tough stains I use 3M fine 800 to 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper with Barkeepers....applied wet in a paste. The great thing about SS is you can be surprisingly aggressive, and restore the finish. Nice as brand new? No. Really great looking? Yes.
Thanks HH. It's a full stainless Staintune, so I might try this method
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #37
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Quote:
Thanks HH. It's a full stainless Staintune, so I might try this method
I cut the wet/dry sandpaper in two inch strips, the long way, and then use a shoe-shine rag approach on the headers (pulling the ends back and forth), using water and the Barkeepers. Like any metal cleaning, shoot for even application of aggressiveness across the surfaces....don't hone in on one small stain and rub like a madman or you'll end up with a "shiny spot." All in all, the process is pretty forgiving....not like ruining a small section of a chromed finish that you can never make look right.

Once you get your SS where you want it, appearance wise, what I do is apply some liquid car wax to the finish and let the polish sit on the pipes for a few days. Ride the bike and let that wax or polish go through a couple heat cycles. Then polish the system up with a rag. I find that this method really helps make the SS more resistant to tarnishing and staining from rain or other sources.