User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
bucho1999 OP
newbie- f650

Oddometer: 21
Anyone going to Baja 500 June 5-8

Ok, so I'm a total noob when it comes to rally races.

I'm looking into going to the Baja 500 as a spectator.
-I would like to take my KLR- trailer it to the border and ride down?
-Would like to find others that are going.
-Would like to be involved in some way.
-I'm in Austin TX
-I can offer up a truck and a 2 motorcycle trailer to help get there.

Is anyone going that I could hook up with? I'm pretty handy/self sufficient, but new to this world.
Any suggestions on going would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank
bucho1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,819
Too Hot.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,178
1. Not a rally. It's a ribbon to ribbon race.

2. I'll be home in TJ until the 2nd or 3rd unless I can change my work sched. If I can make that weekend I'll let you know, I live in TJ and plan on going down with the fam. A few of the places to watch:

Outside of Ojos: 31.891357, -116.274585
Exit from Mike's Sky Ranch between San Matias and Valle de T: 31.337427, -115.573842

The meadows, a great place to watch, but at the end, everyone will be spaced out: 31.880221, -116.310070

There's a road called the Crossover, that takes you from the 1 to the 3: 31.276977, -115.907338.

The closer to the front of the race you get, the better spectator view there is because everyone is closer together. You may want to go into check4 to get a good view, That should be one of the first spots for pitting.

If it were me, I'd watch the bike start, haul ass down to Uruapan and try to catch the bikes again, wait for the last bike or what appears to be the last bike and head back to check 4. Go back to Ens and either watch the trucks start, which is cool, or go up and around to Check4.

Driving on the course is highly dangerous, highly discouraged and VERY dangerous. DO NOT trail ride it and DO NOT every stop checking your six. The bad news is once you're at ✓4, you're there unless you take the race course out to the meadows. Could be cool, even cooler on a KLR. Take pics if you do.

Everywhere you go this weekend, there will be people drinking. They will be drinking in the streets,they will be drinking and driving, and they will be on the same mountain roads you will be on.

Be careful, and have fun. It's a great weekend. Bring a hat and a chair and whatever you want to eat. There are stores and restaurants all along the route. You don't need pesos, but you will get a better deal if you do. Make sure you have your passport, turn on international roaming in case of emergency or get a local SIM card. 300 pesos and you get 150-300 pesos free credit and that's usually enough to use google maps, read and post to ADV via tapatalk and make emergency calls if needed. if you have leftover credit before you cross back, you can transfer it to another person.

Any other questions, any problems while downthere you can call me. Pm if you want it.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
bucho1999 OP
newbie- f650

Good info Beechum. I'll see if I can find someone between Austin and San Diego who wants to jump on my trailer so I can split the driving. In the mean time, I'll try to line up everything else. (time off, a gps, gear and border crossing with a bike)
Thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
bucho1999 OP
newbie- f650

So I tentatively have a group I can do the Baja 500 with. I'll be trailering my motorcycle from Austin to San Diego on I-10/I-8.

I can take up to 2 extra bikes (2 in the trailer, 1 in the truck) if anyone else wants to come along. Once in San Diego, I'll hook up with my contacts there, but can meet back up with you after the race. Probably Monday.

Let me know if you're interested.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Make sure you and whoever is going with you has current paperwork for the bikes and trailer. They will check this when going into Mexico,( at least I have been checked each time I have crossed at the San Ysidro crossing.) If you don't have the paperwork they may turn you around and send you back to the US.

It will be warmer on the Sea of Cortez side than the Pacific side. Ensanada will be cool at night and in the am, 70's during the day. Laguna Salada and Borrego Junction might be close to 100 in the afternoon.

Have fun, smile at everyone you meet, and take pic's. It's a great time.
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,028
Crossing at Tecate about 10 days ago, and the guy actually climbed on board the truck to verify the VIN numbers of the bikes to the registrations. I've had them ask for papers a lot of times, but this was the first time they actually verified VIN numbers.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

I recommended to him that he part N side of tecate, but I don't have any experience as to where exactly. Does anyone have recomendations?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,028
When I go down to play ride, I generally park my truck at one of the secure lots right across from the gas station in Tecate; and then just ride across. Never had a problem...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
bucho1999 OP
newbie- f650

I'm heading out tonight. Bike is in the back of my truck and it's 18 hours to San Diego. I've been in touch with Baja Pits and they said I can tag along and help. Mind you neither of us know anything about each other, so we'll see. A few different people pointed me in his direction, so I'm sure it's all good.

I may spend a couple extra days on the Pacific coast, enjoying the water. May come back asap Sunday. It's kinda open at this point. I'll try to post pics and anything I learn. Should be fun!

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Have fun. You have my #'s in case. I have family and friends I can call if anything happens.