User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 788
Laugh 1st Ride on the New GSA

New GSA showed up a few weeks ago and after a few farkles, I needed to take her out for a spin just to see how the suspension upgrade worked. that was the excuse I told my wife when she asked why I was leaving work early on a Thursday. So me and a couple of buddies head off to the Sierras to do a bit of on/off road excursions. The plan was to head up to Kernville, CA via some back roads and then head off through a mountain pass over to Death Valley. Leaving home from No LA County, it was a balmy 92 degrees. Death Valley was going to be 106 this coming weekend as well, so the Sierra route was already looking mighty fine for us. I brand new scoot and cool mountain breezes.

The ride to Kernville was stellar. Up to the Rock Inn for a quick afternoon snack and off on our trip. If anyone reading has not made the trip from Tehachapi through Caliente, Bodfish, and over to Kernville, you're missing one of the best rides in California.

The Rock Inn, Lake Elizabeth, CA.

Well, the ride did not turn out quite like we had envisioned. After a great afternoon to Kernville, a nice bottle of Booker and some Cuban cigars at the Kernville Inn. We had planned to get an early start and ride through Sequoia and Kings Canyon over to Truckee and down through 395 out through Death Valley. Right out of Kernville, the Pass north was closed and the gate locked. WTF? now where do we go?

Only shot at Kernville was an old one I took a few years back doing a dual sport ride, but here's the place to stay, Whiskey and cigars then too. Bad Habits only get better.

So here is the modified ride route and some pics along the way.

Quite a different route than planned but very fun

Road from Bodfish looking down to Lake Isabella.

The Obligatory Beauty shot.

Practicing falling off.....just in case. Notice non approves helmet wear application.

Mr. King..keeping to his namesake next to his '08 GS with GSA farkles.

Damon getting a "woody" over the town "Woody". As if his bike wasn't enough.

After making tracks over to the Pacific ocean via Hwy 56 through Santa Margarita, and a night in Morro Bay, we decided to head up Hwy 1 to keep in the cool stuff. It was 100 degrees on 56, another great road in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Up the coast we enjoyed great view, a little fog but no dirt roads for me to try out the new Race-Tech suspension upgrade and the Karoos. I seriously thought I would burn off the knobs before I had a chance to get this pig in some real dirt.

My helmet fall off a rock and almost rolled down the cliff. So, whats the rule on dropping your helmet before you have to replace it? is it 2 or 3 times? I hate scratched helmets. It's so ..dirt.

The fog rolled in and out the whole day. Perfect riding.

Just past Big Sur, we find a 15 mile dirt road I can finally try out the knobbies.

Spectacular views and now above the rapidly approaching fog.

The road gets dark as we pass through giant redwood forests.

The dirt quickly ended and we made our way up to Salinas for the night. Monterey was too crowded due to the largest bicycle race in the US this weekend. No need for pics here. Nothing great about that town except for the brewery downtown http://montereycoastbrewing.com/ It's the bomb.

Next day we decide to find ride over to an old mining town in central California, New Idria, that the AAA maps all print. "Not Advisable for Travel". Apparently Asbestos was mined there along with Mercury as far back as the Spaniards for use in extracting gold. We had to stop at the tavern in Panoche for a beer, even thought it was only 10:00 AM. Never pass up a bar that looks like this.

...and off the the mines!

Apparently somebody does not like the "Right". Must be a liberal

Now is the time to confess that a buddy was riding his ST1300 even on the dirt portions of our trip. I gotta get farther off road. Yea, I'm embarrassed too. Adventure friends don't let friends ride ST's.

They must have eaten a lot of salad in New Idria. The town was abandoned in 1997 after some of the building burned down. It had become a hideout for thieves who traveled down the dirt roads to truck stops to rob tractor trailers of their cargo. This old store was the hiding spot. So, how much is a load of salad dressing worth on the black market?

The dirt trail ride back to the highway was too much for the ST, so we had to backtrack all the way to Panoche and over to I-5 and south for 240 miles home. 100 degrees all the way.
All in all, the GSA with Karoos was OK on the hwy and the Race-Tech suspension performed superb on the roads and what little dirt roads we traveled. Soon I will try the Arizona Strip in a few weeks to put the bib pig through its paces. I'm beginning to really like this Adventure riding stuff. I just wonder if there is anybody else that does too...

Motomochila screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 11:08 AM
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,813
Motomochila

Thanks for that - enjoyed it. Why do they pin money on the ceilings of bars - whats' the point?

Nice bike BTW

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
kevlar930
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Bought a GSA earlier this year and have yet to be able to take it on trip. Seeing this makes me want to ditch work soon and just go!
kevlar930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
motofan936
FNG

Oddometer: 38
Nice bike nice pics, great trip. Thanks for sharing and including the photos.

'08 XB12XT Uly,'06Roadglide,06CRF250
Less judgment than wit is more sail than ballast.
motofan936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
That looks like a whole lot of fun. I spend a fair amount of time riding in this area. Would you mind sharing more specifically how to find the road pictured in these photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post

Just past Big Sur, we find a 15 mile dirt road I can finally try out the knobbies.

The road gets dark as we pass through giant redwood forests.

The dirt quickly ended and we made our way up to Salinas for the night.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Jafix
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Awesome looking trip for sure. Tagged this so I can duplicate it
Jafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Congrats on the new GSA! What year is it?

We have to get that pig down to Baja soon.

And how are those BS stickers coming?
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post
Motomochila

Thanks for that - enjoyed it. Why do they pin money on the ceilings of bars - whats' the point?

Nice bike BTW
The guy who owned the bar said it was for his "retirement". or his "mistress"..or both. Anyway since Panoche is about 90 miles from anywhere, literally, and the only place there, life seemed lonely for the guy, except for the wayward traveler, so I figured I'd help out with his plan. I've been to some out of the way bars with panties on the ceiling. What's that point? Why Not! I just gotta be there when there are some donors.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
Congrats on the new GSA! What year is it?

We have to get that pig down to Baja soon.

And how are those BS stickers coming?
Sitting on My friends wait list to be printed along with a big ventricular print job. He is adding your decal to the tail of a job that prints in the same green or it wont come out the same if done in four color. it turns too green. Bike is a 2011-new off the floor, a left-over from a dealer buyout. Just got Race-tech suspension added and now looking for the 21 inch front. As for Baja; I just got back-on my 690. I might do the trip in October on the GSA but not the trails I took in March.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
That looks like a whole lot of fun. I spend a fair amount of time riding in this area. Would you mind sharing more specifically how to find the road pictured in these photos?
http://g.co/maps/vup9x
This is the route down through Panoche to the abandon mining town of New Idria.

http://g.co/maps/yrspg
This is the dirt road in Big Sur.

http://g.co/maps/jmpm6
....and this is a must do road.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Very Cool

I like your style. I've wanted a GS for years, but spent all my money on other toys. I'm hoping to do some [dirt] riding around Kernville Friday in route to Yosemite on my XR. Normally I tour the street roads on my Aprilia and I don't advertise that my buddy rides a GoldWing. It looks too pedestrian for the true "adventurer."

RZ Rob

I think you took a pic in this same spot

Sherman Pass over to Death Valley. We squeaked through slipping around a bit on the snow.

Out the other side

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Thanks, I will definitely follow in these footsteps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
http://g.co/maps/vup9x
This is the route down through Panoche to the abandon mining town of New Idria.

http://g.co/maps/yrspg
This is the dirt road in Big Sur.

http://g.co/maps/jmpm6
....and this is a must do road.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote