User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer: 164
Question Lighting up a KTM 690

I am at the point of trying to get a better light on the front of my 690R. I am not intending to do night riding but to be able to ride when still out and needing to get somewhere. Of interest is how much light, will the lighting circuit cope, ease of fitting, protection from rocks , reliability and cost. Options I have thought of:

I have tried the option of new higher watt bulbs and that works a bit but the bulbs seem to fail often and the light is still minimal.

The E 690 light appears top be an option but my take on this is that is only a larger reflector and the bulb is similar.

990 lights as part of the rally raid fairing.3 $1100

Led driving lights mounted under the bars. Cost about $300. Against for me is more complexity wiring, gear, clutter but attractive is backup of multiple lights and probably better coverage of the track.

High out put replacement bulb. Halogen bulbs are available from $50 but don't have low beam and may not be legal. A Xenon kit has dual bulb as an option but is around $500 and has a bit of clutter to it.

Cyclops 7" driving light or similar. Cyclops is $350 plus bulb plus adapter. A similar unit from Ktm twins, trail tech is 8" and about $300. I worry a little about these being hit with a rock and taken out.

Some other dual light unit. Trailtec X2 $100 to $300 but I couldn't find a unit listed for the 690.

Any contributions, experiences or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 960
good light nice price

[QUOTE=excTC;18566614
Some other dual light unit. Trailtec X2 $100 to $300 but I couldn't find a unit listed for the 690.

Any contributions, experiences or ideas would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
I have the trail tech light X2($100 or so) it is a bit better then the stock light but I have an 08E vs the R's that suck. I have a friend who has 09R and the same light plug and play for both of us.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Thanks steponit. Trailtech light might be a good option and I think they have a more expensive and probably more powerful version.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by excTC View Post
Thanks steponit. Trailtech light might be a good option and I think they have a more expensive and probably more powerful version.
If you mean the X2 HID, I wouldn't recommend it. It's known to be unreliable, and while TT customer service is great, repeated failures can get annoying, if not dangerous if it's your light failing you during a night ride....

The TT 7" unit is nice in terms of light output, but not good for the street. For dual sporting I'd get the Cyclops which is a TT frame with a Hella high/low reflector in it.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,392
The 690E headlight is actually not too bad. If it's only for occasional use I'd go with that.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,095
Renazco has a hid kit for the stock headlight
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Light Bar

The cylops light looks good and sounds like it does a good job but I worry that it is vulnerable to rocks.

This light bar is something new and also about $350. Any one tried it??

Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
jared1843
Drifter

Oddometer: 144
I love my cyclops and have had no issues with rocks. Looks awesome too.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?us5ejq
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R - SOLD :(
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R!
jared1843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
The Cyclops works fine. The H4 adapter plug is only like five bucks. I put a clear plastic guard over mine that is purpose built for headlight applications. No stone chips. And if you can find someone else that needs one it will cut your cost in half. http://www.xpel.com/products/universalhl.asp And don't use the provided instructions, they recommend using a water alcohol solution on the light then apply the guard then squeegee out the water. Didn't work for me. I just cleaned the bulb thoroughly then applied the guard. Be careful it is extremely sticky. You'll have one chance.

Here's the light with the plastic guard installed.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
The Cyclops works fine. The H4 adapter plug is only like five bucks. I put a clear plastic guard over mine that is purpose built for headlight applications. No stone chips. And if you can find someone else that needs one it will cut your cost in half. http://www.xpel.com/products/universalhl.asp And don't use the provided instructions, they recommend using a water alcohol solution on the light then apply the guard then squeegee out the water. Didn't work for me. I just cleaned the bulb thoroughly then applied the guard. Be careful it is extremely sticky. You'll have one chance.

Here's the light with the plastic guard installed.

Thats what you use the water so if you do not get it right you can a bit of play. The alcohol is to clean it, then spray some water on it and squeegee all the bubbles out. Recommend starting in the middle and going left to right or up and down then do the other half.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
StepOnIt
Assitoner

light

I did not use the HID X2 light but this one
Torch Dual-Sport Model-Specific X2 Kit: Orange - KTM - 70W

Trail Tech Torch Dual-Sport X2 with model-specific KTM connectors.
For use with stock or Trail Tech High Output Electrical System.

KTM EXC/MXC/XC-W/XCF-W/EXC-R 2000-2012 CARBURETED ENGINES ONLY

Color: ORANGE
Lamps: Halogen Dual-Sport

Model-specific KTM X2 Halogen lights fit all KTM off-road models with factory lighting capabilities. This light will run on either AC or DC power.

Model-specific power wire harness 3600-SWHA included.
Graphic sticker decal sold separate.
Not compatible with rock guard.
It is not for road use but.... no problems so far

Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
Thats what you use the water so if you do not get it right you can a bit of play. The alcohol is to clean it, then spray some water on it and squeegee all the bubbles out. Recommend starting in the middle and going left to right or up and down then do the other half.
Good luck, it's a convex lens..... YMMV.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,222
Squadron LED w/ dimmer!

Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

E light

Clintnz I would have to go out and buy an E light and I have had regular problems with bulbs blowing. I think that I would rather put the money towards something that has the bling factor aswell. Cyclops is looking good.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Question Hid

Mudguts I had a look at the HID and it has what looks like a box (ballast?) which would have to be squeezed in behind the current set. I find at times that the front guard causes a shadow with the current set up too. Anyone running one?