User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
aussi bob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Need info on WP Shock

Ok i have done the unthinkable i know its Blasphemy i grafted an WP shock of an 640 on to my KLR650 ( please dont hate me ) shock is great and feels so much better than stock i would just like to know what the knobs on the reservoir are for and the knob on the bottom of the shock and how i need to adjust thanks for all the help cheap klr rider
aussi bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Not knowing which WP shock you have--small screw on bottom of shock is rebound. IN increases dampening and slows the return of the shock to extended from compressed. Very important adjustment for both bumps and braking!

The adjustment at the top is compression. Assuming you have high and low speed compression adjusters--The screw in the center is low speed (shock travel speed, not MPH). Low speed compression comes into play in more normal riding conditions (not sharp/fast hits which force the shock to deal with a quick hit). This adjustment affects how the back wheel tracks in normal/not quick hit situations. Impacts traction by keeping "pressure" on the rear tire. IN increases dampening/resistance to compression.

The 17mm nut on the outside of the LOW speed screw, adjusts HIGH speed compression. High speed in terms of high speed/quick hits--not high speed in MPH. IN increases dampening.

Adjust all in small increments--1 or 2 clicks on the screws and 1/8 to 1/4 turns on the nut. I understand that internal shock valving is different for a linkage bike which uses progressive changes in leverage on the shock. when compared to a non linkage bike which has little or no progressive action applied by the swing arm, without linkage.

If this an Adventure (950/990) shock, I would be looking at spring rates very carefully. Big differences in bike weight and linkage on the KLR vs no linkage on the KTM. And ride height/front to rear balance is very important to maintain handling.

Go to KTMTalk.com, ONLINE SHOPPING and download a free owners manual for the KTM donor bike. All years and 950/990 should be pretty close to the same.

Good luck

renogeorge screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 07:26 AM
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 545
Here's the manual for the 2006 640 Adv, with info on shock adjustments:
http://ktmdirtquestions.com/wp-conte...ers-manual.pdf
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote