User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
deanofoto OP
AKA, Ricky Bobby

Oddometer: 89
Deano to Alaska via D2D June 2012

Headed to Alaska from Durango, Colorado via the Dust to Dawson gathering.

Starting north on June 10th for 10 days to go the 3000 miles to Dawson,YT.

Got the summer free and want to really explore Alaska. I'm open to suggestions

Going up the Cassiar Hwy to connect with Hwy 1. Meeting with Steve and Dana at 100 Mile House.

I'm a photographer and will be building a heathly ride report full of high quity images and video.

Riding a 2011 F800GS sponsored by Black Dog Cycle Works (Thanks Kurt for your support!!!!).

Pic= Camped in the Kootenays. Last seasons training missions from Colorado to BC.

Black Dog Cycle Works

deanofoto screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 10:35 PM
deanofoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
wee_V_in_Calgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I'm on board. Looking forward to the pics
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,869
In. Always love your photos!
Drop me a line when you come through WA.
Will you hit the PNW Rally this year?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
deanofoto OP
AKA, Ricky Bobby

Last season I put 20K on the 800GS in 5 months from Colorado to places North and West. Did two, 5000 mile trips camped with the bike around the western US and Canada. Found out my expensive BMW jacket and pants aren't waterproof or warm...... How to change flats..... How to lift the fallen bike with a sheep dog knawing through the fence after me.......

Found time goes twice as fast when riding. Missed lots of meals due to the busyness of keeping the bike fed with gas, chain fed with lube, me fed with water, maps read, passes ridden and campgrounds found.

Never slept better, even in grizzly country. Dropped the bike 15 times on tough terrain fully loaded and became an expert on finding a flat tent spot in the dark, in the rain and out of the bear's territory.

It's a full time job keeping batteries charged, bike lubed, cameras ready and Facebook updated. Once my system was simplified and I was making good time I spent more of it talking to the interested fans in grocery store parking lots around the west. I started calling the chats "interviews". How can I turn down those enthusiastic eyes that always dreamed of owning such a tool to roam the Earth. They're our fan base and the folks who drive this ADV industry. The people like you and I who spend hours on this forum reading about impassioned traveler's tales of misbehavior. This ride report is for you! Hope you enjoy my gift of photos and ramblings as I journey into the Arctic summer of 2012.

I'll be posting some gear reviews next and trip prep videos.

Black Dog Cycle Works

deanofoto screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 10:36 PM
Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,868
Looking forward to meeting you at D2D
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
GoinPostal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Looking forward to your post and to meeting you in Dawson City. (among the other 200+ riders )
Group of Fools Central America Adventure 2013
2012 Triple Black GSA
GoinPostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
HighRiver
taking the checkered

Oddometer: 71
In! Let's have it already!!!
Motomarathon, CO. 2010 ASMA #309
IBA#34978~ SS1000~ 10.11.08
B2B Insanity~ BB1500~ 10.17.10
Alaska Blog-http://3umphak.wordpress.com/
HighRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
deanofoto OP
AKA, Ricky Bobby

4 weeks till blast off / an introduction / atomic photographer

Four years ago I caught my Swedish wife sleeping with our neighbor so I decided to move out to give them more privacy. (Can't believe that timeframe was just reduced to one sentence)

I've shot lots in the bicycling industry. Mostly fluffy magazines pics of skinny, shaved people riding bicycles in beautiful places. Shot female models for awhile because I could. Raced mountain bikes for many years. Ride motocross for fitness.

I'm currently slaving away in California working my real job. Doing long hours on nights in engineering at the friendly neighborhood nuke plant. Since I seem to be getting younger and have the energy of an irradiated squirrel, I'm pursuing my passion of travel and photography with this upcoming trip. Couldn't have kids cause they'd have 5 arms and 2 heads and when you meet me you'll say, "Good thing this bonehead didn't reproduce."

So now I tend to roam. I'm really into the experience of moto travels and documenting life on the bike. Going to carry the Canon 5d SLR and Olympus XZ-1 P+S (most of the pics posted here are from the Oly XZ-1) and a GoPro. Prolly carry a Mac Book Air with Lightroom. More on the photo gear later.

Black Dog Cycle Works

deanofoto screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 01:55 AM
Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
Your choosing a nice route, their are lots of places to camp along the way.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
deanofoto OP
AKA, Ricky Bobby

Girls, Guns and Grizzles, Jill the Kootenay, Revisiting August 2011

Looped back into the US via The North Cascades Highway (Hwy 20) and landed in Sandpoint, Idaho at my fav Irish Pub. The GS parked at the front door with it's proud coat of British Columbian dirt. Me, a little haggard, drinking brews at the bar.

The couple next to me become increasingly interested in what this moto dude is all about. He says, "OK so what's you're story? You roll in on a bike looking like you came from Africa. Where've you been?"

I tell stories of my Canadian slumber party with the grizzlies from Banff to Jasper to Whistler. I get my map, spread it on the bar and we exchange ride options. He leaves.

The high energy, articulate, jet black haired, well dressed beauty turns to me and slaps my arm saying, "Hey, you seem interesting, wanna hang out, have some beers and tell me stories?"

She offers up her yard for a tent spot. Tells of her straw bale "off the grid" cabin on the mountain. Jill is of the Kootenay Tribe. She grew up in Alaska. She drives a modified 80's Four Runner. She works with the forest service and enjoys her gun.

I follow her "Alaskan cruiser" with lift kit, blown shocks, no exhaust and big meats up the dirt to her place. She helps set my tent. We crack beers, send smoke signals and she gets her gun. We make the red bucket down at the stream our "Bitch". Die bucket, die!

It's dark now. We take a walk around the property to check out the water generator. I just met this person an hour ago, we're drunk and now we're hiking around the woods in the dark. We trust each other.

We talk for hours, I tell her my ambition of riding to Alaska and she says, "Ya, you can go to Alaska, you'll fit in, you're one of us." As if giving me official aboriginal approval to proceed to the sacred land.

I'm cooked and head for the tent. But first she wants to shoot some fireworks in celebration of our visit. She launches a boomer into the clear dark northern sky, we ooooh, we aaaahhh. "Thank you Jill for being the coolest host ever." We hug and exchange numbers cause she leaves early for work.

I lay in my screen tent under the stars in the tall grass. I can see her bedroom lights flickering and she's busy with something before her room goes dark.

The Toyota fires up early and I hear it bouncing down the hill into town. I make coffee in the yard, use the outhouse and see she left me a few rolled cigs in my boots. I head south.

These experiences only happen when traveling on two wheels. People are naturally adventurous and interested in others who live out their dreams. It's sooo not about the bike and material gear but about the people we meet and experiences we share. The bike just facilitates greater potential for these occurrences. I'll never forget Jill the Kootenay.

Ok so there's no real grizzlies in the story but it's sounded good in the title and you're smiling now so just deal with it.

Black Dog Cycle Works

deanofoto screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 07:00 PM
Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
deanofoto OP
AKA, Ricky Bobby

The Equipment List

2011 BMW F800GS with heated grips, hand guards, computer, center stand, adventure panniers.
-Ohlins rear shock
-Hyperpro progressive front fork springs and 10 wt oil.
-Heidendau K60 tires with Dyna beads
-DID chain using LPS-2 as lube
-Scotts steering dampener
-AltRider SS crash bars
-Tourtech windscreen and extension
-ADV mirrors
-Kiko throttle lock
-Wunderlich brake reservoir bobble fix and bar quick release handles
-Garmin 665 with XM radio
-Corbin seat
-Tourtech radiator guard, shifter lever, rear brake extender
-Homemade tool tube with Adventure Designs F800GS tool kit, bead breaker and tubes
-Airman compressor with gauge

Black Dog Cycle Works Products
-Skid plate
-Footpegs
-Rear rack
-Chainguard
-brake res guard
-Endurastan tank bag and 52 Liter dry bag
-1 gallon Rotopack

Clothes
-Klim Traverse jacket and pants with protection pads
-Powerlet jacket
-Klim thermal jacket
-Ice Breaker shirts
-Gearne Balanced Oiled boots
-Klim gloves
-Shoei helmet with Sena 10 bluetooth headset

Camp gear
-Redverz Series II Expedition tent
-Big Agnes +15 degree bag
-Thermarest NeoAir pad
-Jet boil stove
-Canon 8X25 image stabilized binoculars to see approaching bears…..
-Fireworks, bottle rockets, for approaching bears…..

Camera Gear
-Canon 5D Mark II
-Canon 24-104 f4 IS
-Canon 70-200 f4 IS
-Olympus XZ-1 point and shoot
-Manafrotto carbon fiber tripod with grip ball head

My Canon 5D Mark II lives in the Endurastan Sandstorm tank bag. This bag is waterproof with firm side walls. Lenses are Canon 24-105 F4 IS and 80-200 F4 IS. Both F4 and Images stabilized.
The F4 lenses are lighter, smaller, cheaper and only one stop difference.

My point and shoot is an Olympus XZ-1. It's comparable to the Canon G-10/11 series but more compact and has a bright F1.8 lens. Great for dusk and low light situations.

The GoPro is a work in progress. Still haven't mastered it. It's meant to shoot close up and turned back on yourself. It's got a wide view that it really pushes the landscape out. Workin on it…..

Manafrotto tripod with grip ball head. Radio shutter release and cable for both cameras.

Running Adobe Lightroom on a Mac Book Air. Most images are post processed. I use the graduated filter to knock back bright skylines. Use the fill light and recovery sliders frequently.

Black Dog Cycle Works

deanofoto screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 04:03 AM
Old 05-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #12
deanofoto OP
AKA, Ricky Bobby

Here's the route from Durango, Colorado to the first muti day stop in Dawson City, YT. It's 3200 miles over 10 days. I've done the US portion before and know what to expect there. I even know of several good camp/towns to revisit. Taking "new to me" roads into BC. I got stopped due to weather going north from Banff last year but now I have a Powerlet jacket....

Black Dog Cycle Works
Old 05-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #13
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
I like your style

And like so many, I can relate. Thanks for doing this report, I would join you if I could, next best thing is going to be checking this report every sunday with my java in hand.
Be safe and continue the good vibe.
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #14
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,673
I'll see you at D2D. Couple of suggestions;

A side trip to Hyder AK is worth the time. It's about 40 miles in from your route; great scenery, neat little town and many bears.

Add a mosquito head net to your kit.

Add a side trip to Skagway. The town is a bit touristy, but worth a day. The ride over the pass makes the trip worth it.

I can't tell from your map, but ride the Fraser River Valley route from the southern BC to Prince George; it starts at Hope BC.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #15
K75STER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Great place to spend the summer exploring!

Wish I was headed back up-Looking forward to following your travels.

Enjoy!
K75STER is offline   Reply With Quote