User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
goldwingtim OP
Goldwingtim

Oddometer: 1
Ride to waterbury VT

Looking for anyone that may have ridden across Mich. to Canada across canada to new york. My plan right now is to take the ferry from milwaukee to muskegon,across mich. to Canada across canada to new york. I drive all state highways and secondary roads. Interstates are avoided at all costs.Any sites I should see,any particular routes more scenic than others? I am leaving milwaukee july 21 or 22, any one want to ride along. thanks Tim
goldwingtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,920
Tim -- That's my preferred route when traveling west. The Ontario side of the lakes is much prettier, though the segment from Sault Ste Marie to Sudbury is nothing to rave about. 17 is your only choice there, but I'd stop shy of Sudbury and head SSE to catch the Tobermory Ferry across Georgian Bay. Highly recommended! From the southern landing I'd angle NE to Huntsville and travel east thru Algonquin Provincial Parc, then SE on secondary roads to Perth. Cross into the US at Ogdensburg NY, then south to the Adirondacks.

If you prefer not to take the ferry, continue E to Sudbury then take 69 SE toward Huntsville. Be careful if you go that way at the end of the work week as rich bastards working in Toronto drive like Cruella DeVille on their way to their vacation homes. The racetrack seems to be limited to 69, though.

Whatever you do, avoid Toronto traffic where every immigrant has imported his or her driving skills from the Old Country.

Pete

PS: In Waterbury, check out Prohibition Pig on Main Street for some great grub and brew!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com

Boondox screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 10:35 AM Reason: Forgot to mention the destination beer of choice.
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote