Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #61
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
8 May 2012
--------------
Ural has shipped me a new final drive. Covered by warranty I just need to pay shipping. Hurrah! Hope to be rolling again soon. Tired of this damn scooter!
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #62
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I'm in, just to see PNG, will read it all later, I found the same with Scala, mine broke, now I am using SENA's, so far so good, really good battery life too.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #63
bokad OP
Difficult Child

11 May 2012
--------------
The last weeks have been a mix of excitement, boredom, and despair. The Ural is still down. Hopefully the parts will arrive Monday but then we'll still need to fly out of the country and back in as our 2 month visas will soon expire. Just tons of different experiences over the last weeks. Being threatened by guides/touts, seeing decomposing bodies in a casketless above ground graveyard, shopping for souvenirs we don't need and don't have any place to put, drunkenly stepping on the tale of a 6ft snake, seeing a huge monitor lizard in the wild, tubing a river through the wilderness. I've even begun to like the scooter. Automatic transmission and sure drives easy, no problem with hills. Today we took a ferry from Bali to Nusa Lembongan (small little island where the main industry beside tourism is seaweed farming) to decrompress while we wait for the final drive. I feel the best and most hopefull that I have in the past two weeks. It's good to be near to the ocean again. To have a bottle of cheap wine on the beach at sunset while pigeons make funny tracks in the sand and a whisper of music floats in from some place beyond the trees. Still, I'll feel even better when I'm on my own wheels again.

Life sure does suck. ;)
Old 05-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #64
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Glad to see you are still making the best of it!

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #65
peter13
FJ cruiser

Oddometer: 338
Good report mate. I was in Papua New Guinea a while back doing some trekking. Be very careful there. The cops are just as bad as the criminals in the city eg Port Moresby. I got robbed at gunpoint at the front gate of Parliament House and no one cared. Be very careful, They cut women's arms off to get their bags off their shoulders.
I never saw a bike there as no one was game to ride one due to thieves on the roads and at traffic lights..
Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #66
Balia
Slow

Oddometer: 89
PNG is in some ways as bad as that, and in some ways not. Moresby is pretty well buggered, as described. Madang is heading that way, but nowhere near as bad. I'm at Ramu, halfway between Madang and Lae-but it doesn't look like you are coming this far. If you are, call in. Ask for Philip, white man. Its a seriously primitive place, particularly in the rural areas. Be careful with your stuff-people will steal anything that isn't bolted down. Outside of Moresby the violence isn't that bad. Most times if someone gets in trouble there's a reason for it. Treat the locals with respect. But don't trust them. You should be OK. A lot of the people are wonderful. Open, friendly, generous. here's a shot of my bike. There's maybe a dozen or so guys in Lae with dirt bikes.
Balia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #67
peter13
FJ cruiser

Oddometer: 338
Once we got into the bush the people were great, really friendly and eager to chat with you. But Moresby was frightening.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #68
bokad OP
Difficult Child

15 May 2012
--------------
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When it gives you a Ural, make boat anchors! Or maybe some industrial art.

We got our new final drive last night but found today that it was damaged during shipping. After the high spirits of yesterday and expectation of movement soon it is a bit of downer. We'll sort it out somehow though and get moving someday. We've been casually house browsing in the area. Mostly out of curiosity. Maybe fate is trying to give me a nudge towards a new home.

This has been a costly delay. Even with the part covered under warranty we've spent USD $1700 on this breakdown so far and we're still not fixed yet!

$150 - hiring truck to retrieve the bike from where it broke down
$450 - shipping for replacement FD
$300 - import taxes/duty on replacement FD
$50 - car to take us to UPS to pick up the part since they were incapable of delivering it to us (long story, but basically the local UPS office was just boobs and we had to go down their personally to sort it out)
$350 - extra week of hotels and food (actually more but we don't stay at the cheapest place so I figure $50/day is the minimum it could be)
$400 - flights out of the country and back in to renew visas since we won't be able to reach East Timor before ours expire.

It's a good lesson about reliability and choosing the right bike. The cost of the actual repair is usually pretty minor, it's all the connected expenses that really add up!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #69
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,610
well that sucks. will ups pay for it? at least the gears are good (I hope!)

Good luck
Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #70
GHT
Weeee Rider!!!

Oddometer: 162
Yikes, that sucks! Good luck with the repair, I guess it could be worse, you could be broke down in Kansas!
Just kidding any of you guys from Kansas!
'03 Yamaha FJR 1300 (sold)
'06 Suzuki DRZ400SM/S (sold) '06 Suzuki M50 (sold) '05 Kawasaki KLR (sold)
GHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #71
bokad OP
Difficult Child

15 May 2012
--------------
The half conscious idea of quitting has circled my mind once or twice. I've started to consider the numbers. What is this bike worth and how much will it cost to get it home? If I don't take it home, what do I need to do to make sure I get back that $10,000 deposit I made for the Carnet?

I hate the idea of quitting though. I'll press on through these current troubles and reconsider if there is another major problem.
There must be some other failed trip reports out there? Anyone got some good links or stories to share?

It's not just this event, it's everything with the bike so far.
I love the looks and hate everything else about it.
A Ural is definitely not the bike for me. I'm a rider not a mechanic. I ignored the advice of my friends and bought it anyway. I really wanted to believe the marketting and the optimists on the forums. Wanted to believe that Ural had completely changed from the complete POS that it was in the Soviet Union. Wanted to believe that it was a bit dated but a more or less well built and reliable machine. Some people on these forums will argue about it but inside they know the truth and joke about it with other Ural owners. I wish I could just say that I got a lemon, that it is an isolated case. But the more you read the forums and talk to owners, the more you know it's true. There are alot of lemons out there! I was stubborn and unwise and now I'm paying for it. So it goes :)

I'm not saying don't buy a Ural. Buy one if you want, but KNOW exactly what you are getting and don't buy in to the marketting and people that gloss over the many well known problems.

Some people say that the USSR won the second world war in spite of Stalin, not because of him. If I ever reach Kathmandu it will be in spite of my Ural, not because of it!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #72
bokad OP
Difficult Child

p.s. It ain't all that bad. The sun is shining and there is a good steak and a few drinks in my near future. It will all work out somehow. Just feeling a bit frustrated today.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #73
bokad OP
Difficult Child

And it's people reading and commenting here that keep me going. I'm may be a quitter, but never in public!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #74
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post

I understand your angsts, but I think a bit of JB Weld and you should be good to go.

As a Ural owner I understand your attitude. I do love my RPOC and cannot bring myself to part with it. But I would not consider such a journey with it as my steed.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #75
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,610
Kris,
I've broken bikes in some of the most fucked up places you can imagine. fried an alternator on the dirtster in turkmenistan. lunched the tranny on my 48 indian in siberia.
valve tappet went out on my shovelhead in armenia, in a shady border town at the iranian border at dark.

But, I got out of em, some with my own knowledge, but mostly with help from others.

Did I think of giving up at times? sure. but I just bit the bullet & got em going again. Yeah, breakdowns suck. Urals arent the best made bikes. But, there really isnt a 'best' bike out there. new BMW final drives fail. shit happens. I had to replace the final drives on all of my rtw trips.
(the chains wore out, so it wasnt such a big deal....)

later on, you'll look back on it & remember the breakdowns, & even laugh about it. trust me, I'm a habitual bike breaker!
Some of my best stories are of ways I have broken my bikes!
(wait until you fry your throttle cable because of an electrical short that welds it together, another siberian adventure!)

Anyhow, it'll work out. I know of a couple people that have put a gazillion miles on urals. And the bikes are still going today (sure, there were repairs involved)

on the carnet, you are screwed. the only way is if the bike is 'stolen' or 'destroyed' and you have the police reports to back it up.

hang in there
Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote