User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
JukkaGS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
GS battery died...again

WTF...Again a dead battery on my -11 GSA...
Bought my GSA last september, couple of weeks driving and one evening she didn't start. Ok no problem, called BMW online service and they send a towtruck to pick my bike to the workshop. Next day a call from workshop and they told they recharged the battery and everything is ok... Winter came and after a couple of months in a warm garage and charging battery every now and then and everything seemed to be ok. Decided anyway to buy a new battery. installed a new one and now been driving with my new battery for 2 weeks...Today after a short trip to petrol station it didn't start without jumpstart???!!!!
Got back home and cheked the charging voltage which is 14,5 v on idle so that seems to be ok. But still the power is going somewhere...
Any ideas for this or is the new battery just f...d up?

Any ideas?
JukkaGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
What brand of battery. And exactly how did it fail, totally dead, to slow crank, click but no crank? Are battery cables clean and tight?

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,888
+1

If your charging system checks out okay check your connections for tightness and cleanliness.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
JukkaGS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
What brand of battery. And exactly how did it fail, totally dead, to slow crank, click but no crank? Are battery cables clean and tight?

Rod

Battery is a replacement called Euroglobe, don't know about the quality but it's a bit stronger than the original Yuasa.
It failed to slow crank, and all cables are tight and clean. Later today I've measured battery voltage and it shows 13,4 volts so this thin becomes even more strange... and the crank is still slow
Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
JukkaGS OP
Adventurer

Day off today so I had time to measure the battery once again. There is a current leak of 0,56mA all the time when everything is cut off.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukkaGS View Post
Day off today so I had time to measure the battery once again. There is a current leak of 0,56mA all the time when everything is cut off.
You might have a 12v hot connector or wire that is leaking to ground and draining your battery.
Check for damaged insulation on the wires or any recent electrical add ons you (or the dealer) has added.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,667
Still on warranty? Take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Zoef zoef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Sir, a drain of 0,56 mA leads theoretically to a completely flat battery in about 3,8 years time? Or do you mean 0,56 A? That is a different story. Do you have an alarm or anything else which is not switched?
Zoef zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
JukkaGS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoef zoef View Post
Sir, a drain of 0,56 mA leads theoretically to a completely flat battery in about 3,8 years time? Or do you mean 0,56 A? That is a different story. Do you have an alarm or anything else which is not switched?
Yes sorry it was 0,56A but here is a story how thi episode hopefully ended this time :)

I guess I found the problem. called to a friend of mine who is an expert on the CAN BUS system. First thing he asked was, what navigator do you have on the bike? I told that I have a garmin, he asked that is it a type of garmin which has a separate transformer on it. I told him yes there is a box between battery cable and plug for the navi. He told that here in Finland they had lot's of problems with taxi's where a certain type of garmin navi was installed, and all of those navigators where a type with transformer to decrease voltage from 12 volts to something lower. In my zumo 220 is a similar system. This system is poison for vehicles with CAN BUS system because even when you switch off eletricity completely from the circuit so this transformer still goes on, and even when the current is low so it leaves the CAN system activated and drains the battery,,,
So now I took off the navi fuse and tomorrow we'll se again that was this problem solved...
Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,070
Very interesting thread.

Keep us informed.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
jthomas82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I had the same exact problem. Bought the canbus adapter from touratech and used the Garmin 220. Immediately started having battery drain issues and after 30 days in the shop it came back with the wire disconnected and the problem was gone. I called and talked to touratech and they new exactly what gps I was using. They recommended hooking the gps to a fuseblock. I have had no problems since doing so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
MaineRunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Same here. 2011 GSA. I hooked up a Nuvi 550 through the front GPS plug. After sitting a few days my battery was dead; measued 5.4V ...this was even with the GPS unit unplugged from the power cord.

I've since run the GPS cable direct to the battery with no problems.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Starting procedure

What is your starting procedure?
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
JukkaGS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas82 View Post
I had the same exact problem. Bought the canbus adapter from touratech and used the Garmin 220. Immediately started having battery drain issues and after 30 days in the shop it came back with the wire disconnected and the problem was gone. I called and talked to touratech and they new exactly what gps I was using. They recommended hooking the gps to a fuseblock. I have had no problems since doing so.

Touratech plug is the same plug as BMW OEM plug to CAN BUS. Problem is that the garmin regulator leaves or stores some power in it. Due to this the CAN thinks that there is a need of power somewhere and leaves the circuit open,and then the battery issue is on.
This has happened also with BMW original navigators as well, they are also Garmin navis.
I had my zumo 220 wired also first directly to the system and this happened to me. Now I had the navi power via fuseblock and same thing occured. Next step is to change the fuseblock relay to one with a diode which will cut the current complitely. I mesured the voltage in the fuseblock with the navi on it, so there was a 0,4V standing voltage all the time at the block. So I took the navi fuse out and the voltage dropped to 0V. During this test the navi was not installed only the cord with regulator on it and all other electricity was disconnected.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
jthomas82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Bought a Fuzeblock and problem solved!