User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
Klaw OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question 950 front rim

I bent my front rim in four seperate places on one ride. Dealer says KTM has made no changes to the rim. At the KTM rally last year in McCall, ID there was allot of talk about the rim issue. Anyone know if KTM has changed the rim or what after market rim would work. I ceretainly don't want to buy another stock rim if its going to fail.

Thanks!

Klaw
Klaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Wicked Where to get Wheel info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaw
I bent my front rim in four seperate places on one ride. Dealer says KTM has made no changes to the rim. At the KTM rally last year in McCall, ID there was allot of talk about the rim issue. Anyone know if KTM has changed the rim or what after market rim would work. I ceretainly don't want to buy another stock rim if its going to fail. Thanks! Klaw
I would talk to Woody's Wheel Works in Denver. Very helpful and knowledgeable. I would go with Woody's recommendation. He is a Vendor on this list.

04 950A Scoot (Gone but not forgotten)
03 GL1800 Toad

I guess it often comes down to "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". - FastEddieB
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Thumb

Ktm replaced mine under warranty , the new one seems to be better , have tried to bend it but no even over worst terrain , very happy so far .
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
LuisLourenco
Blue orange

Oddometer: 288
Thumb two good news...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toohp
Ktm replaced mine under warranty , the new one seems to be better , have tried to bend it but no even over worst terrain , very happy so far .
Hello Toohp, both very good news, a new effective rim and replaced under warranty! I've unsucessfully tried to activate the warranty for a new rim, nice to have a precedent

Can you please tell when it hapenned?

Thanks.

Luis
LuisLourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,739
Quote:
What rim did they replace it with??
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:04 AM   #6
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Replaced with another Baer stock rim - possibly an 05 .
Old 05-09-2005, 05:45 AM   #7
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Replaced with another Baer stock rim - possibly an 05 .
Unless Behr changed the grading of aluminum you pretty much have the same rim as before, soft and prone. I did hear over over a year ago that Behr was planning to change the aluminum over to the same grading as Excel, it would make the wheel that much better.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:25 AM   #8
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Yeh I didn't think the new one would hold up if it was the same and my service manager at the dealer agreed , but Ive now been over the same territory where Ive bent my original rim twice many several times and also a lot lot worst terrain , so maybe Beh have changed the aluminium grade , so far so good .
Old 05-10-2005, 12:43 AM   #9
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisLourenco
Hello Toohp, both very good news, a new effective rim and replaced under warranty! I've unsucessfully tried to activate the warranty for a new rim, nice to have a precedent

Can you please tell when it hapenned?

Thanks.

Luis
They replaced mine about 6 weeks ago , and also replaced my friends front wheel as well and he didn't even buy it there .
Old 05-10-2005, 05:50 AM   #10
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,318
bent KTM front rims and better solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaw
I bent my front rim in four seperate places on one ride. Dealer says KTM has made no changes to the rim. At the KTM rally last year in McCall, ID there was allot of talk about the rim issue. Anyone know if KTM has changed the rim or what after market rim would work. I ceretainly don't want to buy another stock rim if its going to fail.

Thanks!

Klaw
Most of the 2.15 x 21''front rims manufactured by Behr for KTM,,,whether silver or black anodsized are prone to massive bending over rough terrain....i am speaking of the rims used on the 04-05 950 adventure and the 05 640 which now shares the 950 front end,,,,

i am currently researching the exact manufacturing dates of these defective rims....so that anyone can look at the side of the rim and see if their rim falls into that time frame....you will be able to then put your mind at ease if you have one of the 'newer/upgraded' ones...or if you were given another defective version....you riders out there that had your rims replaced by ktm and claim they are holding up...please share those numbers with us...and we can sort this out once and for all

PLEASE...do not think Behr rims in general are of poor quality,,,,someone either speced them wrong or there was a snafu in picking the right alloy for that run

now....if you have to replace your rims a few suggestions

both Sun and Excel have proven higher strength alloys in their rims...great!!
they would certainly be an upgrade over the soft Behrs...

f you are going to upgrade consider if you are going to spend more time on the street or in the dirt....for you 950 riders ,,,stay with the 2.15 width for mostly street riding....and drop down to a 1.85 for mostly dirt....for the 640 thumper folk ,,,drop down to the 1.85 as a great all-around rim....and a 1.60 x 21 would be even better for just dirt

for you riders that entertain the thought of going tubeless,,,,Sun's 2.15 x21 is the only one of the rims that sports a safety bead and is the ONLY one we will seal

check my other numerous posts out regarding more in depth info on these subjects

woody
303-936-0232
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #11
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
@Woody: As far as I know there is (still) no replacement rear rim available from Sun or Excel in 18 x 4.00 or 4.25 is there? Or a 21 x 2.15 Excel for the front...

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:47 AM   #12
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Sun rolls out there rims at Buchanon and is making them in a 18 X 4.25..
Old 05-10-2005, 09:24 PM   #13
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
Most of the 2.15 x 21''front rims manufactured by Behr for KTM,,,whether silver or black anodsized are prone to massive bending over rough terrain....i am speaking of the rims used on the 04-05 950 adventure and the 05 640 which now shares the 950 front end,,,,

i am currently researching the exact manufacturing dates of these defective rims....so that anyone can look at the side of the rim and see if their rim falls into that time frame....you will be able to then put your mind at ease if you have one of the 'newer/upgraded' ones...or if you were given another defective version....you riders out there that had your rims replaced by ktm and claim they are holding up...please share those numbers with us...and we can sort this out once and for all

PLEASE...do not think Behr rims in general are of poor quality,,,,someone either speced them wrong or there was a snafu in picking the right alloy for that run

now....if you have to replace your rims a few suggestions

both Sun and Excel have proven higher strength alloys in their rims...great!!
they would certainly be an upgrade over the soft Behrs...

f you are going to upgrade consider if you are going to spend more time on the street or in the dirt....for you 950 riders ,,,stay with the 2.15 width for mostly street riding....and drop down to a 1.85 for mostly dirt....for the 640 thumper folk ,,,drop down to the 1.85 as a great all-around rim....and a 1.60 x 21 would be even better for just dirt

for you riders that entertain the thought of going tubeless,,,,Sun's 2.15 x21 is the only one of the rims that sports a safety bead and is the ONLY one we will seal

check my other numerous posts out regarding more in depth info on these subjects

woody
303-936-0232
Woody

My wheel no is 10253- 04
Cheers.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:03 AM   #14
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

KTM RIM replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax
@Woody: As far as I know there is (still) no replacement rear rim available from Sun or Excel in 18 x 4.00 or 4.25 is there? Or a 21 x 2.15 Excel for the front...
here's my take and recommendations,,rationale is in other posts/threads on this subject....by the way BMW's new ultra trick HP-2 1200 dirt bike sports the rim sizes we have routinely recommended and installed for big dual sport off-road racers over the years....1.85 x21 front and 2.50 x18 or 2.50 x17 rear!!!!!

FYI..KTM 950...OEM front 2.15 x21= too wide and soft for off-road
rear 4.00 x 18 early models... 4.25 x 18 2005 and later = too wide for off road

rim availability: EXCEL double signature series
FRONT 1.60 x21....optimal off road works fine on street the A60 is even stronger
1.85 x21.....optimal 50/50 dual-sport rim

REAR 2.50 x18....optimal off road
3.50 x18...optimal all around
4.25 x18...too wide for dirt/great for 150-60/70street rubber

SUN
FRONT 1.60 x21...mainly off road ,,,street ok
1.85 x 21...optimal dual -sport 50/50
2.15 x21...better on street/too wide for dirt

REAR 2.75 x18...optimal dirt/offroad..ok on street
3.50 x18...optimal all around
4.25 x18...too wide for dirt..great for street tire

all the rear rims listed can be sealed for tubeless,,all have the .040"normal safety beads,,,much easier to r&r tires than OEM 4.00 Behr rim

all recommendations apply to the 640 adventure,,'cept i'd recommend 1.85 x21 for all around best rim size...1.60 x21 would be ok for dirt mainly and the new '05 2.15 x21 is just too wide

for you super slabers and canyon carvers,,,,i'd give serious thought to converting both wheels to 2.50 x19 front and 4.25 x17 rear,,,same size as all the GS beemers,,,incredible tire selection can make tubeless to boot,,,handling improves as well as the braking,,,,you can rock in the canyons,,,better tire life,,,sits 3/4'' lower and you can still fireroad it,,,trail picking gets compromised,,,but no worse than any beemer out there

and a point of clarification...Buchanans bought all the Sun motorcycle manufacturing rights years ago...they build these rims in house

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 03-08-2010 at 09:03 AM Reason: update data
Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 AM   #15
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works

woody
303-936-0232
ok...the most mangled rims i've seen are stamped 10245-04.03..you definetly do not want them to replace yours with that vintage/run....pics will be coming and more data