User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
rglee OP
Ride 'em, don't wash 'em!

Oddometer: 71
Slate Creek 300, April 2012

Jim and I rode our DR650s from Fayetteville, NC to Newport, TN on Friday and linked up with Mike (Yamaha XT225) from Clyde, NC and Dick (KLR650) from Fredericksburg, VA at the hotel. On Saturday we joined Lisa (Kawasaki Serow) and her husband Jack (Beta RS520) to ride the longer of the two routes in the Slate Creek 300. Sunday we did the about half of the shorter route and then split up with Mike heading back to the hotel, Jack and Lisa continuing the route back to Bybee, and Jim and I hitting some twisties in the mountains enroute back to Fayetteville. The Slate Creek Adventure Ride is perfect for big ADV bikes or those just wanting to ride some nice dirt roads and twisty tarmac. There's not enough challenging or technical sections to make the hard core dual sporter happy - but we had fun...

Friday morning was pretty cold - stopped to warm up and eat breakfast after riding about an hour.

Of course we had to hit Shady Valley and its tasty twisties.

At the start point near Bybee, TN Saturday morning.

Nothing but the finest facilities for the ADV riders!

Dick on his KLR Saturday morning.

A bit of the dirt roads on Saturday. Saturdays route was close to 150 miles with about 80 of that on dirt roads.

Lisa, Jack and Rick trying to figure out which way to go next.

Lunch break.

Here's some of the paved section - a beautiful road with very little traffic.

Photo op.

One of the stream crossings.

Getting wet.

Lisa and Rick at the start Sunday morning. Jack and Lisa cheated - they traded bikes for the Sunday, mostly paved route! Jack rode his BMW 800GS and Lisa rode her F650GS.

Rick, Lisa and Brother Mike.

Jim and I went through Shady Valley again while heading home Sunday afternoon.

There were more Harleys, cruisers and Valkries than sport bikes.

V8 powered lawn mower.

And my DR safely back home. Jim and I did close to 1,000 miles on the DR650s in 3 days with a fair amount of dirt and twisties thrown in for good measure. The DRs ran like tops - often cruising at 80 for extended periods on the straight, boring sections.

It was great to ride with Mike and Dick again. We all enjoyed meeting and riding with Jack and Lisa - they make a heck of a team!

The Slate Creek 300 is part of the AMA Adventure Riding Series. A special thanks to Scott Miller and the others that did all the hard work to lay on this fun ride. And thanks to Ron Miller for passing the word about the ride.

Ride far, ride fast, have fun, be safe!
'75 Z1,
'69 CB160, '66 CB450
rglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
rglee OP

Videos!

PS: the 3rd, 9th, 12th and 15th pics are actually videos - I thought a little arrow would show up indicating they're videos but apparently not... I'm obviously an amatuer at this. Sorry 'bout that!
'75 Z1,
'69 CB160, '66 CB450
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
b61713
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Fantastic Videos and pictures

Fantastic Videos and pictures - Thanks so much. Is there a GPX or map of the route available?
b61713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
rglee OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by b61713 View Post
Fantastic Videos and pictures - Thanks so much. Is there a GPX or map of the route available?
The organizers passed out roll charts at the start point - no maps. And my GPS was just filling an empty hole - it was broke - so I couldn't save the trip log as a route. Sorry.
'75 Z1,
'69 CB160, '66 CB450
Old 05-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
motoinfo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Good times

Rick, looks like you guys had a blast. Surprised you didn't ride the big GS's. The "Shady" hangout looks like a great place to...well...hangout!

Any of you guys interested in riding an AMA Dual Sport with George and I? 2-day events, a couple in OH, NJ and NY. The ones in NJ and NY are only 2-3 hours away for us but too far for you and the ones in Jersey 5-7 hours for us, probably another 1-2 for you.

Those DRs just keep on chugging away.....but I know you want that Beta!
'03 ATK 605 Enduro '80 Can-Am MX6 400
'69 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
motoinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
rglee OP

Ride!

Dale,

Those rides are probably too far for us. We need to get serious and put a date on the calendar for Hatfield McCoy. Also, there's some great riding near here at Brown Mtn and Brushy Mtn.

I'm still waffling about the Beta - I've got the DR set up just about perfect for real multi-purpose riding. But the more I read about the Betas the more I want one.

Let's RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoinfo View Post
Rick, looks like you guys had a blast. Surprised you didn't ride the big GS's. The "Shady" hangout looks like a great place to...well...hangout!

Any of you guys interested in riding an AMA Dual Sport with George and I? 2-day events, a couple in OH, NJ and NY. The ones in NJ and NY are only 2-3 hours away for us but too far for you and the ones in Jersey 5-7 hours for us, probably another 1-2 for you.

Those DRs just keep on chugging away.....but I know you want that Beta!
'75 Z1,
'69 CB160, '66 CB450