Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Germany, K1600GT, two up, two weeks....

READYSETGO!

Hi all, I'm flying my wife out from Colorado to Frankfurt, and I'm flying in from Afghanistan for some decompression.

We'll be arriving on 05 May, and will be motoring around Bundesrepublik Deutschland just enjoying the scenery, history, people, food and beer.

We've rented a K1600GT from AD-MO rentals, on recommendation from many of the inmates here in various different threads. Hoping the rental goes well. Have comprehensive insurance on the rental and liability on other vehicles, so that should be taken care of for now.

Julie has had several years of German, so that saves me from the panic of trying to learn the 100 most important words in German in five days!

Looking for motorcycle friendly suggestions on places to visit, historically significant and otherwise, and especially, hotels, motels, B&Bs, etc., where motorcyclists are welcome across the entire country (and across neighboring countries). We have a small list of some places that have been suggested by non-motorcycling types, but would like to hear from the collective ADVR inmate group.

There is no fixed plan. Haven't even rented a hotel for the first couple of days in Frankfurt yet. Seat of the pants flying on this trip.

I have an International DL, so crossing borders shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think time is our biggest problem. We don't have any expectations of doing everything all at once this trip. This is more of a relaxation trip after 2 years in Afghanistan for me, and the same 2 years of Julie having to do all the stuff I traditionally do, in addition to her demanding job.

Places to go, places to avoid, festivals, pitfalls to avoid, etc, are all welcome suggestions.

Thanks, and looking forward to your suggestions!

Mike
Vitruvian Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

...Some other great information, if anyone has any current beta, would be which bike shops are the most inmate friendly!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So far, we've got the following on our list of cool places that we should visit:

Neuschwanstein Castle
Kehlsteinhaus (The Eagle's Nest)
Berchtesgaden
Königssee
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Cologne
It would be really cool to see the Eiger in Switzerland too ...

Was wondering what the Swiss Alps were like this time of the year. From searching on this forum, it seems like most of the snow or bad weather is probably already gone. Looking at weather sites, it also looks like a good time of the year to travel the alps. Any personal experience would be very much appreciated.

Cool restaurants or places to stay?

Cheers,
Mike

Vitruvian Mike screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 08:09 AM
Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
motobaer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
must see, must ride

Hello,

here are the must sees IMHO:

Rotheburg ob der Tauber
Bamberg
Strassbourg (France)
Chesky Krumlov (Cech)
Munich (BMW Museum)

must rides:
Schwarzwald (black wood forest)
Voges (France)
Alpes (of coures)

I would make a big loop with Frankfurt at the very northern point, the alps in the south, the Voges mountains in the west and the German/Cech border in the east.

Enjoy the ride!

Gunter
motobaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
I can contribute absolutely nothing to this thread in terms of helping you find stuff to do, but I have to make a comment about this. What an awesome experience you have lined up! Savor every single moment. You and your wife have made serious sacrafices over the last two years and I am so glad to see that you are making this kind of a trip together. You have my gratitude for your service and my envy about your vacation. Enjoy!
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
speiche
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hotels

Hello Mike,

here the link to special Motorbiker-Hotel

http://tourenfahrer-hotels.de/index.php?id=6

They are mostly prepared to welcome bikers after "hard daily trip" and know what you "need".
Good standard.
speiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobaer View Post
I would make a big loop with Frankfurt at the very northern point, the alps in the south, the Voges mountains in the west and the German/Cech border in the east.
+1

Coming from the north, I can't give very detailed information. There are a number of hotel specialized on bikers, but unfortunately most web sites are in German (google "motorrad hotel"). This side shows a number of biker hotels and bars on a map: http://www.biker-treff.de/suchen/bikertreffs.php

And here's a selection of hotels recommended by one of the larger motorbike magazines: http://tourenfahrer-hotels.de/index.php?id=6

You can check this website for Alpine passes which are still closed: http://alpenrouten.de/alpenpaesse-ve...ersperren.html

Oh, and last but not least: It might already be season for Maibock beer, so check out some of the breweries all over the place.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobaer View Post
Hello,

here are the must sees IMHO:

Rotheburg ob der Tauber
Bamberg
Strassbourg (France)
Chesky Krumlov (Cech)
Munich (BMW Museum)

must rides:
Schwarzwald (black wood forest)
Voges (France)
Alpes (of coures)

Enjoy the ride!

Gunter
Hi Gunter,

I like your recommendations a lot. The riding sounds great, and includes some really interesting sites. The Black Forest and the BMW museum sound like mandatory stops!

Hoping for great weather, but we're bringing some small amount of rain gear just in case.

Appreciate the feedback!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I can contribute absolutely nothing to this thread in terms of helping you find stuff to do, but I have to make a comment about this. What an awesome experience you have lined up! Savor every single moment. You and your wife have made serious sacrafices over the last two years and I am so glad to see that you are making this kind of a trip together. You have my gratitude for your service and my envy about your vacation. Enjoy!
Yeah, we're going to have a great time! This trip is sort of a prep trip for our planned RTW starting sometime in or after 2016. Thanks for the reply!

vMike
Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speiche View Post
Hello Mike,

here the link to special Motorbiker-Hotel

http://tourenfahrer-hotels.de/index.php?id=6

They are mostly prepared to welcome bikers after "hard daily trip" and know what you "need".
Good standard.
Hi there,

That's a fantastic resource to have! Really appreciate the link!

Cheers,
vMike
Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post
+1

Coming from the north, I can't give very detailed information. There are a number of hotel specialized on bikers, but unfortunately most web sites are in German (google "motorrad hotel"). This side shows a number of biker hotels and bars on a map: http://www.biker-treff.de/suchen/bikertreffs.php

And here's a selection of hotels recommended by one of the larger motorbike magazines: http://tourenfahrer-hotels.de/index.php?id=6

You can check this website for Alpine passes which are still closed: http://alpenrouten.de/alpenpaesse-ve...ersperren.html

Oh, and last but not least: It might already be season for Maibock beer, so check out some of the breweries all over the place.
No worries! Google translate does great things. One button push does a reasonable job of translating most sites. The one with the passes closed is going to be really interesting to me. I'm in the middle of some reports right now, but will have a look in a little bit!

The breweries I see in my dreams!

EDIT: The one with the passes bears some closer scrutiny when I have time with a map. Hoping to catch some nice routes open. Thanks again!

Vitruvian Mike screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 11:02 AM
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
speiche
Adventurer

alpes

How many days you would like to spend in the Alpes?

Thomas
Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,234
With only 2 weeks I would head straight for the Alps and Sudtirol (N. Itlay) Munich is a great place to jump off into Austria and into Italy. From there over Passo Stelvio into Swiitzerland. Over the Alps again to France. This is moto-nirvana. I would also consider going to Spain to see the Pyrenees and more high country. I'd stay south of Munich if it were me. Stay at the Bayerischer Hof in Munich and eat some schweinhachsen at Hachsenbauer in downtown Munich. Viel Spass Vato!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
speiche
Adventurer

enlargement of vocabulary

For your wife:

Most important type of beers in Bavaria/South Germany (than you are on the safe side ):

- Hefeweizen
- Hefeweizen dunkel (dark)
- Kristallweizen

available from diffferent breweries.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
With only 2 weeks I would head straight for the Alps and Sudtirol (N. Itlay) Munich is a great place to jump off into Austria and into Italy. From there over Passo Stelvio into Swiitzerland. Over the Alps again to France. This is moto-nirvana.
The Dolomites will be open for business - major tourist area, so the roads will be clear. Absolute jaw-dropping scenery.

Stelvio (and the other higher passes) will still be closed in observance of winter.

I hear that the Pyrenees are great, too, but they're a bit far out for a two week ride if you're looking to relax and decompress.

I'd take the Romantic Road south out of Frankfurt, visit Rothenburg and hit Bertchesgaden for the Kelstein Haus. From there. swing south into Italy and Cortina d'Ampezzo spending a couple of nights in the area. My suggestion would be the Hotel Evaldo in Arabba - a nice 4 star hotel with a great kitchen and fully biker friendly. And really not THAT expensive.

From there, up to Innsbruck in Austria and Garmisch and Neu Schwanstein (get there EARLY - the lines are like Disneyland!).

Head south into Leichtenstein and Switzerland. Look to base out of Meiringen. This will place you to hit Grindlewald (for the Eiger views) and the Lautenbrunnen Valley next door. It will also put you in the area for some of the higher Swiss passes (Grimsel, Furka & Susten with maybe a short side trip to the St. Gotthard between the Grimsel & Furka).

And then, back to Frankfurt with maybe a short visit to a little town west of Koblenz called Nurburg; where, if they're having Touristenfahrten, you can do a lap or two of the Nordschliefe.

I wouldn't go much further south than the Interlaken area of Switzerland - not for a two week ride where you want to relax and flower sniff.

Links to trip reports and pics below.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote