Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
bruno twip
On Island Time

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZman1 View Post
If I had gotten correct infomation or seen the photo, I may have ordered the Quick Click. But since I have the Odyssey II mounts in hand I will most likely keep them. I don't think they look too bad on the bike without the bags (much better than the stock rack) , I like the adjustability fore and aft and I find them quite easy to remove/install.
My Odessey mounts and Jesse bags have been tested many times off roads. Nothing like a car jack, a block of wood and a 4# hammer to set them straight. The Odysseys mounts have never budged, you can hang your motorcycle from them. Don't know about the quick clicks for taking a good side impact from maybe a rock or tree that was sticking out a little further than I thought.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
bruno twip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
No, he didn't let me in on that. I could only guess that the middleman cut into his already thin proffit margin, but that would be a guess.

Jim
That was my suspicion. The down economy can't be particularly good for entrepreneurs like Jesse. I've ordered stuff from Jesse directly and from Xplormoto over the years and it has all been pretty much fine.

Do wish he'd make me some of the thin Safaris for my quick click mounts, though.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
FireStrings85
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I'm getting ready to buy a pair of these as well, you seem to get the most for your dollar, 2 mm of powder-coated aluminum opposed to 1.5 from TraX or Touratech or H-B for about the same price. What is the difference between the high and low pipe configuration? We all have the same bikes GSs or GSAs, our pipes are all mounted left-side in the same place. I am confused...help me...I'm sick of researching cases...lol...I'M READY TO BUY!!!!
FireStrings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStrings85 View Post
I'm getting ready to buy a pair of these as well, you seem to get the most for your dollar, 2 mm of powder-coated aluminum opposed to 1.5 from TraX or Touratech or H-B for about the same price. What is the difference between the high and low pipe configuration? We all have the same bikes GSs or GSAs, our pipes are all mounted left-side in the same place. I am confused...help me...I'm sick of researching cases...lol...I'M READY TO BUY!!!!
The high pipe is about where the stock one is, slightly lower. The low pipe is about horizontal. This makes the bag shape different. The low pipe, IMHO, makes the bag more useable.

Let me see if I can pull a few photos from installs.

Found a few.

Low Pipe with both Safari and Odyssey

High pipe on an Odyssey:

You can see how the cut out is different.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 04:29 PM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
CZman1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStrings85 View Post
This is another thing I didn't really understand and their website doesn't explain it very well. I have since received the install instructions and it clears things up. Both versions lower the exhaust pipe. The high pipe version by 2" and the low by 4". As was stated by another, the low pipe version allows greater capacity in the left side bag. I ordered the high pipe version because looking at my bike the pipe looks pretty high...lol. If I was to do it again, knowing what I now know, I probably would've bought the low pipe version, given that I need to lower it a bit regardless. The lowering of the pipe is pretty straight forward and the extenders are included with the mounting kit.
CZman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #21
FireStrings85
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
@ JimVonBaden: Thanx, Jim - that was tremendously helpful!!!!
FireStrings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
bboshart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I absolutely love my Safaris with quick mounts and low pipe. When I was trying to make a decision I searched the internet for as many pics as I could find. So if its helpful to someone, here are some pics of mine. I now have the trunk too which my dear wife surprised me with Its great because on our trips now, I am the pack-horse and my wife can travel a little lighter on her bike.

jesse1 by bboshart, on Flickr

jesse2 by bboshart, on Flickr

jesse3 by bboshart, on Flickr

jesse5 by bboshart, on Flickr
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Mine are the low pipes as well. The bag is much more usable. The high pipes look goofy to me from the back. I don't get the little lip that wraps under the pipe. It surely isn't usable space and it just looks weird. The other thing was all those that have reported heat issues with the high pipes. Air just isn't able to flow in and around the exhaust like it does with the low pipe. I love mine.

Something else to mention is the difference in latches on the Odysseys and the Safaris. The Safaris look cleaner in my opinion and are easier to use.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Mine are the low pipes as well. The bag is much more usable. The high pipes look goofy to me from the back. I don't get the little lip that wraps under the pipe. It surely isn't usable space and it just looks weird. The other thing was all those that have reported heat issues with the high pipes. Air just isn't able to flow in and around the exhaust like it does with the low pipe. I love mine.

Something else to mention is the difference in latches on the Odysseys and the Safaris. The Safaris look cleaner in my opinion and are easier to use.
Definitely!

Safari Latches. They latch to a cleanly designed receiver, and avoid touching/marring the bag.

Odyssey latches basically latch to a rivet, and in the process contact the bag. Over time they tend to scratch and remove the powder coat. Not a huge deal, but it matters to many.

Oh, and a clearer photo of the low pipe installed:

Jim
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #25
bboshart
Gnarly Adventurer

Actually, latches are my one complaint about Jesse bags. My Safari side bags have one type of latch and my trunk latch is like the Odyssey's . I was told they cannot be keyed the same, so now I have to carry two different keys for the bags.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboshart View Post
Actually, latches are my one complaint about Jesse bags. My Safari side bags have one type of latch and my trunk latch is like the Odyssey's . I was told they cannot be keyed the same, so now I have to carry two different keys for the bags.
That is not true at all, the Safari top case hs the same latches.

Jim
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #27
bboshart
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
That is not true at all, the Safari top case hs the same latches.

Jim
Hmmm, so I was misinformed by my Canadian dealer.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #28
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboshart View Post
Hmmm, so I was misinformed by my Canadian dealer.
Maybe they were thinking Odyssey?

Jim
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #29
Maloppa OP
Hiking boots traded in

Oddometer: 49
Excellent information!! I have gone back and forth on the mounting system, but all this info and pictures helped. bboshort, the pictures of your bike were excellent reference. I think the only thing that concerned me was the fact that there doesn't appear to be a support towards the back of the bag on the quick click system. This may not matter, it just seems to be needed. The web site doesn't offer a low pipe configuration except on the 10" box. I have decided to go with the 11" safari, hopefully they can offer a low pipe configuration like bboshort's.
Maloppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #30
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloppa View Post
Excellent information!! I have gone back and forth on the mounting system, but all this info and pictures helped. bboshort, the pictures of your bike were excellent reference. I think the only thing that concerned me was the fact that there doesn't appear to be a support towards the back of the bag on the quick click system. This may not matter, it just seems to be needed. The web site doesn't offer a low pipe configuration except on the 10" box. I have decided to go with the 11" safari, hopefully they can offer a low pipe configuration like bboshort's.
It may not have shown up well in photos, but on mine there is a rear support. It is part of a rather sturdy thing that comes down at the license plate and offers a polymer disc on each side that contacts the bag and holds it out into position.

Regarding the latches, there may have been a transitional period where the top cases still used the old style and the side bags had the new. That's how mine came. If I recall correctly, I was given the option of changing the old to a new if I wanted to after trying it first. Since I also have an old "pizza case" with the old style latch; it and my now 2 year old Safari top box are keyed the same and my side bags have a different key. I don't really mind that. If it bothers anyone, you can change latches to the new type.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote