User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Sandspit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Hello, New Member from Spacecoast

Hey everyone, Been lurking for awhile, figured I jump in the mix. I am experienced rider from the Spacecoast area (Indialantic), been riding motocross for years and made the shift to dual sports a while back. Got a 91 DR 350 (kicker w/ pumper carb) and a 08 KLR 650 in the stable.. Always on the hunt for dirt, lately been riding Space Coast Credit Union here in Melbourne, the Compund in Plam Bay (stealthy without any problems yet) and a dirt route from Valkaria to Malabar road.
I am always willing to share routes so here is a quick but fun link from Valkaria airport to Malabar road Palm Bay, Malabar Moes is a good place to stop for a beer or three at the end, Harley Riders at the bar but they are redneck cool to dirt riders. A few horses use the route so be kind to our four legged friends and this route should remian open. Due to lack of rain, all trails have been real fun without really deep water crossings.
Well it appears I can not attach images yet, so here is the route the hard way.
Valkaria road near airport turn on Graddick rd.(dirt)->Left on Leghorn Rd (dirt)->right on Valley (dirt, unmarked legal road goes behind houses)->Right Ponderosa (dirt)->At the dead end follow single track and bear left on track at fork-> Exit single track proceed to Benjermin road (paved), Left and quick right off Benjermin into more single track->Really Fun single track all the way to Maria Street (dirt)->Maria St to Malabar to Malabar Moes and Beer.
If anyone in Melbourne want to meet up ride and share routes , let me know.

-Sandspit
Sandspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,645
Welcome to the Sandbox.

Even KLR owners are welcomed here.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,752
Cool cool, Sandspit. Welcome to the forum. That looks like a fun route.

I might be able to ride after work a few days this week. I usually get home around 1730hrs. If none of us can get out during the week, a few of us can usually meet up on a weekend for a group ride. Check out the Great Spacecoaster Dualsporting thread for a route map of our ride this past Saturday.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Sandspit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thanks for the replies, I'll be checking in on the SpaceCoast Dualsport Thread, good to hear a few locals are around looking for dirt. Almost all my riding is done in Brevard, I just can't seem to carve out enough time to explore further than home.
Sandspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Jwood
James

Oddometer: 7

What up! Im a new member also looking for some good dirt. That Valcaria route is nice and there's plenty more trails on the south side of the road (Ponderosa South). There's a couple more good track style routes West Melbourne too.
Anyways, I know nobody has posted here in a while, but if anyone still meets up for some dual sport adventures give me shout!
Jwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
Welcome aboard, guys!

I've been distracted lately with other tasks/projects and haven't gotten out for regular rides for most of the past year. Need to get back into it.

I've ridden some interesting areas down around Fellsmere with another inmate on here who has been sidelined for a while. Can't remember much detail, but some of it was around the head of the Sebastian River.

Most of my areas have been up around Merritt Island Refuge and the wealth of dirt roads through Mims and Scottsmoor. Shiloh Marsh Road may never reopen, but I hope it does eventually.

When all the hunting seasons close, Tosohatchee Wildlife Refuge west of the St Johns and on Taylor Creek Rd between SR 520 and SR 50 has some nice dirt roads. Powerline Road takes you to the river where you can see all the way down the powerline right of way to the power plant on the Indian River at Delespine/Frontenac (if that isn't the one that was torn down - I haven't been out there in a couple of years).

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote