User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Podzo's PD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Wolfman Tank Panniers

Thought about the Wolfman Tank Panniers for my R100GSPDc . Seems like a regular tank bag wouldn't work with that screw top gas cap and vent hose. Anyone try that type of luggage? Does it scuff up the paint?

06 LT 07 DR650 95 R100GSPDc
Podzo's PD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Oddometer: 127
They work great on my PD tanked GS

I only put soft stuff in them, no paint issues . If cosmetics are a concern, some padding could be added I guess . The rubberized backs are sorta clingy, a good thing . They have long straps, that provide a lot of lashing points . I like them .

CptImagine screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 05:20 PM
CptImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podzo's PD View Post
Thought about the Wolfman Tank Panniers for my R100GSPDc . Seems like a regular tank bag wouldn't work with that screw top gas cap and vent hose. Anyone try that type of luggage? Does it scuff up the paint?

06 LT 07 DR650 95 R100GSPDc
I have not used their tank panniers however as FYI - I use their Explorer Lite tank bag on my PD and it fits great just below the gas cap. Not as much storage however as the panniers I'm sure though.

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,010
Au Contraire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podzo's PD View Post
Seems like a regular tank bag wouldn't work with that screw top gas cap and vent hose.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Podzo's PD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I wouldn't have thought

Now I have dilemma. Go with the panniers or a tank bag. The storage in the gas tank is very useful but I can't have it all
Podzo's PD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Tank Storage

We have the same bike. I find the tank storage very adequate, accessible, dry and relatively secure.

I use it for spare bulbs, gps when not in use, cloths, small windex container, pad, pencil, spark plugs, pressure gague, CO2 cartidges, dried fruit snacks, small water bottle and there is still room for my camera if I decide to take it.

I have made a few trips on the bike, and each time I try and take less and less. You will probably go through the same learning exercise.

Bear in mind that our tank is quite heavy when full of gas. You will notice the way it feels between your legs, adding additional weight that high will also affect handling.

You won't know for sure until you try.

akabeton screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 11:41 PM
akabeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
gsd4me
90% bluff

I leave all the rarely used but essential stuff in the "glovebox" and it just takes a second to undo the front strap and fold the tank bag back onto the seat should I need to access it.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabeton View Post
Bear in mind that our tank is quite heavy when full of gas. You will notice the way it feels between your legs, adding additional weight that high will also affect handling.

That is true, but the bike I had before was an 1100GS and that was heavy, so even when full of fuel, the R100GS feels like a small bike. It`s just something to get used to.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
Left Testicle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
the camel

i have a PD. I just bought a tank bag that zipped to the base. I then had made a base made with a hole in the centre so I could access the tank box, worked fine since I did it 13 years ago. It is very similiar type system to the BMW GSPD tank bag base. The tank bag I used is a Baehr brand and has 2 compartments and can hold up to 26 litres

but wait theres more. I then got some Gearsack 15 litre a side panniers and cut the throwover in half and had this widened and they sit over the fuel cap with a strap on the base at bottom front and rear to hold in place. better than a fully faired bike.

I run zega panniers 41 litre and 35 litre and also have a 75 litre or 95 litre rolll bag to go on rear wudo rack.

I only usually have tank bag - throw over tank panniers and roll bag on rear when i go away by myself. more then enough storage

I am thinking of getting some Andy Strapz expedition panniers instead f using the zegas.

When the wife comes there enough room to bring a dressing gown. with all the luggage. 220 litres plus
Left Testicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Both times I fell off

with a tank bag on . The BMW tank bag jettisoned with remarkable velosity . That's what prompted me to get the panniers {4 mount points}, and keep only soft things in them . I have a 1 burner Coleman stove and some tools in the tank box . The panniers also keep a lot of rain off you . GS/PDs are top heavy enough with 9 gals fuel . The tank bag added weight above that, it did not work for me . I travel with 140lbs of gear, spread thru panniers, top box, rack, etc . They are a quality product for my application .
Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 675
1150 GSA bag

For whatever it's worth, I use my Touratech 1150 GSA tankbag and it works great. The bag sits just behind the cap and the front straps will fasten down on the frame bracket like the GSA.

I did it out of experimenting one day and now thats what I use.

I only mention it because;
#1) it's a great made bag, really well built and useful setup.
#2) there are more 1150 guys selling off there stuff than airhead guys so might be easy to find one here or on ebay.

patrkbukly screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 06:38 AM
patrkbukly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 467
Made these from a dog back pack.......comes in sm/med/lg, pick what ever size you want
A little stitching, padding, fastex buckles
I have now gone to a small tank bag.......
Only put light weight items in the panniers

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptImagine View Post
with a tank bag on . The BMW tank bag jettisoned with remarkable velosity . That's what prompted me to get the panniers {4 mount points}, and keep only soft things in them . I have a 1 burner Coleman stove and some tools in the tank box . The panniers also keep a lot of rain off you . GS/PDs are top heavy enough with 9 gals fuel . The tank bag added weight above that, it did not work for me . I travel with 140lbs of gear, spread thru panniers, top box, rack, etc . They are a quality product for my application .
140 punds of gear???? sweet jesus.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #14
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Yea buddy

4 man tent, gourmet cooking gear, clothes from Pennsylvanias 20 degrees to Guatamalas 115 degrees . I setup camp and explore, 4 to 6 months in the saddle, does require some stuff . 12 lbs of spares alone . On a side note, the right side cover will get lost if you do much offroad riding . Get a heavy piece of leather, fit it to the frame, with nylon straps facing outwards . Like a pack board on a mule, made mine in the mountains in Chiapas after seeing said mule . Get a Codura laptop,cd player, etc, zippered case . Strap the case to the board with your rain gear in it . Lost space and a cover that stays put .

CptImagine screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 07:50 AM
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 637

tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote