Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #31
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdt BMW View Post
How do you post pics? I am not real computer literate. but I do know my way around in the garage. I will be at a vintage meet thru sunday and very busy at work next week, then another vintage meet, Can take pics on the 20th or there abouts. The exhaust turned out pretty sweet. took a whole day to fit it all up then an evening to tig it.
Sign up with one of the photo hosting sites (smugmug, photobucket, etc.) down load pics, copy pic url and paste into thread.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #32
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,630
This?

or..
Or

Old 08-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #33
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
This?

Holy Crap!
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #34
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Translation

As promised, here is the translation of the letter in the link provided in post #22 of this thread.

http://2-ventiler.de/vbboard/showthr...Laverda-BMW-GS

I have no idea to the veracity of the story told but have translated it for your enjoyment. Refer to the above link for the photos.

The Laverda BMW 1976-77
Globalization ... Cross-border cooperation ... Today, business as usual, but in the mid-70s still unknown. All the more amazing is that such a conservative company as BMW was the pioneer.
You can find out how this came about from this story:
The Italian press has always claimed that the BMW factory machines were built by Laverda, but I personally never really believed that story, especially as this was never mentioned by the German press that I consulted with later ...
Stefano, instead took what was told in Italy at face value and searched for an original of the '79 factory bikes to base his replica on.. If all the factory bikes were built by Laverda, he thought, he ought to be able to find an example...
His search was unsuccessful, but while he was wandering the Web, he found Rugginose (http://www.rugginose.it), and signed up. In Rugginose Stefano began to ask questions about BMWs, which is how we met, virtually, in May of 2008.
Since his questions about the ’79 BMW works bikes went unanswered I suggested that he come visit me in Germany to attend the race in Unter-Schönmattenwag with me. There we would surely run into Herbert Schek, with whom I had spoken before, as well as Laszlo Peres about whose attendance I was told by Leo “Vinduro”, a GS old timer. Surely they would be able to tell us who actually built the BMW works bikes, and how this story of cooperation with Laverda fit in.
So we met in Unter-Schönmattenwag, and first asked Mr. Schek whether he could tell us who built the frames for the BMW factory machinery in 1979 and 1980, and Shek said: - "Laverda built that pile. How can you build a swingarm with just one shock ? My machines were so much better! Laverda’s design was crap and once, during a race, the shock spring came flying out but thank God I was able to cram it back in with my bare hands”.
Stefano and I were a bit confused because according to Scheck the works bikes were built by Laverda…. Maybe we ought to ask Laszlo Peres as well……….
So we went looking for Leo “Vinduro” so that he could introduce us to Laszlo Peres but found Laszlo Peres lined up at the start instead.
I asked him real quick if he could provide information on the BMW works bikes and he invited us to come visit him in his camper after the race.
Laszlo smiled when we told him about Schek’s comments, and he did confirm the shock spring story, but insisted that the rest was rubbish. If we were that interested in the works bike we ought to stop by his house where he had one in the basement. According to Perez Laverda only built two prototypes that were initially just used for testing, after that everything was built in Munich.
Even though we couldn’t find any additional info regarding the Laverda- BMW’s, a couple of weeks later we were able to spend time with Laszlo’s bike. In the meantime we were also able to gather pictures of the bikes from a variety of sources.
Ing. Peres had told us that the Laverda-BMW’s were tested and evaluated in Munich and we did actually find a photo of Helmut Pohl during testing. ( See Motorrad 1/79)
Refer to the original link for photos.
But we also found photos of the bikes in actual competition.

Here for example you can see a direct comparison of the three 1978 BMW GS concepts at the start of the Benesov EM round in May 1978: On the left Herbert Schek with his Scheck-BMW, in the middle Laszlo Peres with his own construction from 1977-78 and on the far right the Laverda, piloted by helmut Pohl.

This is the Benesov bike:

Along with the photo of Helmut Pohl testing the bike there were also a couple of photos in “Motorrad”, before and after being halfway disassembled.

During a visit with my friend Dieter I also found a photo of the bike ready for a TÜV inspection, complete with turnsignals and mudflaps.

In my opinion, the Laverdas were far more elegant and nicer looking than the later works bikes, as well as the 1980G/S, built by BMW
But Stefano wanted to learn more about the Laverda-BMWs and made phone call after phone call until he found a hot lead. He learned who the project lead was for the BMW GS project at Laverda: Alessandro Todeschini.
So Stefano found Todeschini’s phone number who invited him to chat about the bikes, and that’s how Stefano found out everything there was to learn about the Project Laverda-BMW. This is the first time after thirty years that this story has been published, in Rugginose.ita.
Massimo Laverda met Hans-Günther von der Marwitz, the Technical Director of BMW Motorrad, GMBH, at a symposium in Germany. The two became fast friends and stayed in constant contact and Massimo Laverda would always receive the newest models from BMW, as would Hans-Günther von der Marwitz from Laverda, for evaluation.
Massimo travelled to Munich on a new Laverda 1200 and was given a Boxer engine so that he and his team could build a G/S motorcycle around that engine. This all happened in the second half of 1976: The then U.S. Importer had repeatedly asked for an Enduro type motocycle because the Japanese competition was taking over the export market while the British “Scramblers” were just about out of the race.
Von der Marwitz was convinced that the creation of a prototype G/S for the Americans by Munich would take too long, not to mention that Munich didn’t have the necessary contacts with the Italian suppliers who specialized in components for Off-road motorcycles. Not to mention that Laverda had several G/S type motorcycles in their line up and had the necessary experience.
Hans-Günther von der Marwitz offered Massimo Laverda the prospect of a small production run of Enduro’s for the U.S. market, if BMW management approved the project.
Ing. Alessandro Todeschini of Laverda designed a frame for the Laverda-BMW G/S in record time, which was built by the firm Nino Verlicchi, a supplier of frames for a number of manufacturers.
Laverda built the three prototypes in just five weeks. The forks came from Marzocchi, the front hub by Grimeca, the rims by Akront, the controls by Magura, while the tank and seat came off the shelves of Bernardi Mozzi, and Giuliari, who already were Laverda suppliers. Fenders were sourced from Preston Petty and Sands which were already being used on the Laverda-Husqvarna 125 and 250s.
During Stefano’s visit , Ing. Todeschini brought out a box full of old photos and gifted a number of them showing the Laverda-BMW on the factory grounds in Breganze ( only about 15 km form Bassano del Grappa which is where I’m from)
Only one photo was already known ( the one that shows the bike without tank and seat), the rest were shown for the first time ever on Rugginose.ita.

Food for thought: Todeschini claims that Laverda built, and delivered, three bikes to BMW while Laslo Perez saysthat only two arrived in Munich…….so, who’s right ?

If Laszlo is correct, where is the third bike? Stefano suspects that Massimo Laverdas brother might own a Laverda-BMW…….

But where are the two that did end up in Germany ?
To be continued as facts are unearthed….
Best regards from Schwetzingen.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:17 AM   #35
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 279
Great work and thanks for making the time and effort kai ju.

An intriguing story. Wish I could say the third laverda bmw was in my shed. What a piece of history. How strong is Herbert Schek!?
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #36
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Better late than never

Tanami, I'd completely forgotten about this, thanks for the acknowledgement.

Kai Ju
Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #37
m143
wobbler

Oddometer: 30
Although a replica many parts are from an actual ISDT bike prepared for the Berkshire ISDT by BMW.

Great thread

m143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #38
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=m143;22252342]Although a replica many parts are from an actual ISDT bike prepared for the Berkshire ISDT by BMW.

Great thread

More pics please...great looking bike but I want to see more of it. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #39
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by m143 View Post

Wow, look at all the weights in one spot on that front wheel! I can't believe the mechanic thought that was "OK"...
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #40
m143
wobbler

[QUOTE=Kai Ju;22253424]
Quote:
Although a replica many parts are from an actual ISDT bike prepared for the Berkshire ISDT by BMW.

Great thread

More pics please...great looking bike but I want to see more of it. Thanks.
Unfortunately I didn't do a very good job taking pics. today, but I'm sure I'll see it again, get you a better look. I do have this crappy one of the left side.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #41
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
Wow, look at all the weights in one spot on that front wheel! I can't believe the mechanic thought that was "OK"...

Probably to offset the weight of a rimlock.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #42
m143
wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
probably to offset the weight of a rimlock.

m143 screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 06:37 PM
Old 09-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #43
m143
wobbler

I don't know anything about this pic.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #44
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
I don't know anything about this pic.
I know one thing: It's pretty damn cool.
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #45
Comodo0
scoobidoo

Oddometer: 24
Otherwise you can get -if you find one- the BMW tribute to ESDT: the 1996 r80 GS Basic with its blue frame.
Comodo0 is offline   Reply With Quote