User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
warrior1677
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
my front loader washer stinks and some times the towels come out smelling bad too. i would get a HE top loader

"Ladies, if your man puts straight gas in a chainsaw, you have a girlfriend." gtn
warrior1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1677 View Post
my front loader washer stinks and some times the towels come out smelling bad too. i would get a HE top loader
Will this solve the problem of HE washers storing water until it's rancid? I installed an HE toploader in one of my customer's new homes recently. I was shocked to see how much water was left in it at the factory. I literally soaked the carpet when I tilted the unit to remove a shipping clip from the base. As for the OP's question, my recent LG experience has not been all that great. I got a killer deal on 1/2 dozen LG range hood microwaves. I installed one in my house and quickly discovered that it was as useless as tits on mule. It didn't perform as well as the $39 unit I have bouncing around in the back of my van. When I rolled the big stack of returned microwaves back into the appliance department, the manager understood my problem and told me that if she was working the floor at the time, she would of talked me out of buying them, as they are shit.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #18
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
My lady friend has LG units. The washer always smells, and that's even with leaving the door open most of the time.

From what I can see, even in spite of all this hype about cleaning ability, front loaders suck.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #19
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,931
We have Electrolux. They do a great job, have tons of features and are quiet. But that 'wipe and leave the door open' thing pisses my wife off. So much so, if it crapped, she would want a top loader.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #20
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,748
Regarding the smells from the washer, and the musty smell that ends up in the clothes . .

I always thought it was crappy machine design. I'm on my second FL washer, and it's all about the soap. I don't know what's in the HE stuff, but it makes the difference. I've always left the door open just a bit to allow things to dry, but that didn't seem to make much difference. I still leave the door ajar, but use the HE detergent, and the smell is gone.

HE is low/no suds detergent. If you use regular sudsy soap, if will leave soap residue on your clothes, and the inside of the machine, which will lead to a mildew smell. The way the FL pumps are designed, they're supposed to pump liquid only. If you don't use the HE soap, and the pump sucks up a load of suds, introducing air into the flow, the pump has to work harder. This could lead to premature pump failure, or the pump could kick an error code, and constantly mess up, or stop, the wash cycle.

Your engine has a oil specification, and now your washer has a soap specification. Really.

Just follow what the engineers recommend. It works. Well, too.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Chad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Thumbs down Never again..

About 2 years ago we purchased an LG front loader and it sucks royally. It has a bad design which holds approximately 16 ounces of water in the bottom of the machine at all times. We use HE detergent sparingly and leave the door and the soap dispenser open when it is not in use (really convenient on our 2nd floor..) and it still gets nasty smelling. I do the recommended tub cleaning with bleach and clean the lint trap monthly but it makes no difference.

It is also near impossible to perfectly balance in my second floor laundry and just the bit of vibration that arises from this has cracked the plastic around the soap dispenser slide in thing.... We hate it. My next washer will probably be an HE top loader.

Google "lg washer" and "mold" together before purchasing.

Chad
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #22
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
About 2 years ago we purchased an LG front loader and it sucks royally. It has a bad design which holds approximately 16 ounces of water in the bottom of the machine at all times. We use HE detergent sparingly and leave the door and the soap dispenser open when it is not in use (really convenient on our 2nd floor..) and it still gets nasty smelling. I do the recommended tub cleaning with bleach and clean the lint trap monthly but it makes no difference.

It is also near impossible to perfectly balance in my second floor laundry and just the bit of vibration that arises from this has cracked the plastic around the soap dispenser slide in thing.... We hate it. My next washer will probably be an HE top loader.

Google "lg washer" and "mold" together before purchasing.

Chad
I not just limited to LG's, the previous house I was renting had a Bosch iirc front loader and that thing would get smelly as well, despite leaving the door open in a very dry climate. The fundamental design of the drainage systems on the FL's is flawed - they always leave a little water behind to sit around and collect mildew. That mildew then gets on the drum where it spreads, so on and so forth. They now have specific products to combat this but they are expensive and I'm unsure aobut their effectiveness. And it kinda defeats the purpose of an efficient washer if you have to run an empty load through it once a week.
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #23
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
I've had LG FL for 2 years. No smells (drain the trap per the manual) once a month or so and leave the door open a day or two between loads. No leaks, bad gasket or motor issues. The motor on this one is a direct drive though if it makes any difference. Oh, knock wood
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,181
samsung has a sterilize cycle to stop the smell
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
Chad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-c View Post
I've had LG FL for 2 years. No smells (drain the trap per the manual) once a month or so and leave the door open a day or two between loads. No leaks, bad gasket or motor issues. The motor on this one is a direct drive though if it makes any difference. Oh, knock wood
That's just what we've done but the result has been different. Interesting. Ours is direct drive also.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
That's just what we've done but the result has been different. Interesting. Ours is direct drive also.

edit>> I do bleach white clothes once a week
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady

dan-c screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 11:48 AM
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #27
tominboise OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Thanks for all the input. Went out this morning and bought a new set of Speed Queen top loader washer/dryer. Commercial quality and made in America.....

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #28
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
Thanks for all the input. Went out this morning and bought a new set of Speed Queen top loader washer/dryer. Commercial quality and made in America.....
As long as you keep a roll of quarters handy..............
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #29
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
I've never had problems with my old (1998-vintage) Whirlpool front loader.

Then again I use a very low-foaming soap and the water here is chloraminated to shit, so mildew and musty smell issues would be less prevalent.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post

Made in America, baby. Fuck yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderNewOwnership View Post
I've never had problems with my old (1998-vintage) Whirlpool front loader.

Then again I use a very low-foaming soap and the water here is chloraminated to shit, so mildew and musty smell issues would be less prevalent.
Interesting point. Our water has days where it smells like pool water. Hadn't thought much about it affecting the washer.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: