User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #136
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Yep, still Day 7:

Baker City is a quaint and historical little burg and today it sports a very attractive downtown corridor that is abuzz with activity.

Old Wikpedia Pic..

There is a downtown brew pub serving its own locally made concoction, unfortunately it was closed. However I had no problem relocating just down the street into a comfortable pub. No shortage of creature comforts here. I watch the city street action from the cool shade of my perch and relax thinking that I will soon ride this way again in late July. But today I am keeping my interlude short, and soon I am motoring north on OR 203 – Medical Springs Hwy watching the mountain range off to my west change colors in the lowering afternoon sun.
It is a beautiful May afternoon.

I have several hours of daylight left and less than an hour to ride to my planned campground. I am not in a hurry. This part of eastern Oregon is rural. The timber industry had its way with the hillsides and trees for decades, but that mostly ended in the 50’s or early 60’s. The regrowth is now gorgeous and the tiny towns that dot the landscape have interesting buildings and mature trees that came here as seeds in settlers pockets. Some of the towns have died, but others rekindled trade in other industries. Tourism mostly. Out of the corner of my eye I caught an “open” sign in a most unlikely place, a former milltown called Pondosa.
Then:

Now:

I couldn’t resist checking it out and I am glad I did. Here was living history. The old frame building, the only building I saw here, was and still is a general mercantile store. You can get a can of peaches or an ice cream bar or a pair of boots. The gentle older woman that runs the store is a local historian and has many interesting old photos, artifacts, and stories to go with them. The place is stuffed with a confusing inventory and is teetering on disarray, and when she is gone the place will probably be boarded up. With ice cream bar chocolate on my cheek I said goodbye and finished the days ride through the dense forest down to Catherine Creek State Park.

I have stopped at this park a time or two before, but only as a rest break along the way to some other destination. I have marveled at the setting of the trees, the canyon, and the rushing stream pushing hard on its way to the Grande Ronde. So I have made it a point to make this an overnight stopping place. It is a small park, but it has all the necessary amenities of water, picnic tables, fire rings and toilets.

Home sweet home! The fees are reasonable, and the friendly hosts have plenty of dry firewood available. With only a few other campers here it will be a peaceful evening. This will be my last nite out on this trip, the weather is warm and clear, so I have been saving the best for last, so-to-speak
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #137
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

I am feeling a bit sentimental tonight and after a couple jiggers I jot the following in my trip journal:

5-16-2014 Catherine Creek State Park, Oregon: “I feel a sense of urgency at 54 years old. How many more years will I be able to see, do, and experience the feelings that I get when traveling the landscape independently as I am now? I wish that my dearest companions in life could feel the way I feel now as I am in bliss at this campground at sunset. The self-enrichment that I believe I experience through these travels is amazing to me. It is my hope that others around me can understand the self-satisfaction that results from the wanderlust experience. I hope it is not too selfish of me to need so badly the inward reflection on my life through this means. I just sat through a glorious sunset while eating a simple campsite meal and listening to the rumble of the nearby creek rushing to its next confluence. The campfire is just ignited and dusk is settling on the canyon. The cows downstream bray their song. Another amazing day is spent. I hope I have made the most of it as it will not come round again. It is my understanding that this is not a practice lifetime.” – J.W.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #138
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

viffer vaffer vuff

Took a little trip on the Viffer over the past weekend and met up with some friends and saw some sights.........

Guess where,

Saw this in Heppner:

Got up high on the hill..

Lots of fun to get away from this...

Cheers!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #139
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #140
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Wicked

Tomorrow we are loading up the tents and the dual sports and heading up the North Fork of the Clearwater. ... Film at 11!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #141
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #142
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Thumb

Home turf. Thanks for the memories.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #143
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 882
Well said and a great report! I'm only a few years older, but this was about the time I started to feed my need to stop "next year" excuses and just go. I wasted several years waiting on others and those same people (that I like very much and ride locally with all the time) are still making excuses.

Bottom line, when the window opens and you have time and opportunity don't wait for others as that window can shut at any time.

Safe travels and Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
I am feeling a bit sentimental tonight and after a couple jiggers I jot the following in my trip journal:

5-16-2014 Catherine Creek State Park, Oregon: “I feel a sense of urgency at 54 years old. How many more years will I be able to see, do, and experience the feelings that I get when traveling the landscape independently as I am now? I wish that my dearest companions in life could feel the way I feel now as I am in bliss at this campground at sunset. The self-enrichment that I believe I experience through these travels is amazing to me. It is my hope that others around me can understand the self-satisfaction that results from the wanderlust experience. I hope it is not too selfish of me to need so badly the inward reflection on my life through this means. I just sat through a glorious sunset while eating a simple campsite meal and listening to the rumble of the nearby creek rushing to its next confluence. The campfire is just ignited and dusk is settling on the canyon. The cows downstream bray their song. Another amazing day is spent. I hope I have made the most of it as it will not come round again. It is my understanding that this is not a practice lifetime.” – J.W.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #144
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

BobW..Thanks for the kind words, dont let the window slam on your fingers it will hurt!

More updates soon, but right now my ride awaits me!

Old 08-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #145
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Soooo. Last Friday we drove up onto the N Fork of the Clearwater River so far in to where they have pump in daylight just to see!!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #146
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

we got loaded up in the truck and hauled in plenty of crap to last for a few days..

Old 08-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #147
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

We spent three days of bombing around the Clearwater NF, as well as over into Montana.

We had great weather and nice routes....

We got a lot of beautiful siights along the way

We checked out the State-Line trailhead at Hoodoo Summit.

Cruised on down to Superior MT for lunch.. important stuff.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #148
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

We did some really important stuff at camp like eat fancy horsd'overs

We enjoyed the awesome campfire too.

The next day we rolled out again along the river, cuz that is the only option here in the canyon...

Soon we found some really fun OHV trails which we followed til we found ourselves here..the final 1.5 miles to Clark Mt Lookout.

This was a bitchin and challenging trail.... got this off the web

Clark Mountain Lookout, ID
Clark Mountain Lookout is a Locale inClearwater County, Idaho. It has an elevation of 1,603 meters, or 5,259 feet.

Clarke Mountain Lookout
Another historic structure on the Clearwater is the Clarke Mountain Lookout. The location was first used as a lookout in the 1920s. Currently there's an L-4 style building there that was built in 1952. Though abandoned and in disrepair, it commands a stunning vantage point and may be restored at some time in the future.

"We have some of them like Clarke Mountain, time takes its toll on them and it takes money to maintain them. When it was part of the fire organization and we were out looking at those places they were maintained but they were manned all the time. Leave a building alone for a couple of years unmanned, see what happens. The snows in the winter, winds that come through, a tree that comes down and hits a guide wire. Is there anybody there to repair that...used to be all the time. Just anything you have it's a facility, takes a lot of work and care. And you have to have people there taking care of it. I think maybe one day Clark Mountain gets restored. Then I would say that's going to get rented because there are a lot of people who would want to stay there. It's a beautiful view. It just needs to get fixed up and people will absolutely rent it."
— Robbin Johnston, Clearwater Forest archeologist
The Clarke Mountain OHV Trail System is accessed from the Cottonwood Creek trailhead, which is approximately 23 miles from Pierce, Idaho, on the Pierce-Superior Road 250. There are 25 miles of OHV routes suitable for both ATVs and motorcycles, and Trail 603 offers one of the few, true jeep routes on the Clearwater National Forest. These trails offer beautiful views of the Orogrande Creek and North Fork Clearwater River drainages, and a chance to visit the old Clarke Mountain Lookout site, a spectacular vista. Parts of the system, particularly Trail 602, are quite steep and winding, and are not for inexperienced riders or the faint- of-heart.

We made it to the top after a couple near misses, here is some of the views...

That was the climax of the trip.. I didnt take enough pics, but you get the idea.. Cheers til next time.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #149
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

A little spin about the neighborhood.....

We took a fun little ride over the weekend.....

It looked like this:

I will get a few more pics up soon......
Old 09-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #150
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Took a little spin about eastern washington, then tooled home from Lewiston vai the old Cherry Lane bridge, Hubbard Gulch and Elk River..

More pics less talk, yes i know!

we made a quick stop in a little rest area we know on the west side of fowery trail road, that is one of my favorites.

Another great rest stop near Central Ferry

We blazed across some awesome September scablands..

Early in the day i got this sweet view of the Clearwater River.

cherry lane bridge

Hubbard Gulch, due caution is advised if you ride this.

Obligatory Kendrick Grade shot.

Elk River is very cool and worth the trip, the road is too much fun to slow for pics sorry, but i got this.

Thats all ya get for now, gonna ride to Salem next weekend, hoping for some good shots in the 'Hood.

Cheers.