Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #106
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Sunday i was out on the VFR. I made a 200 mile loop on the Palouse in Washington and Idaho. The hills are not in total bloom yet, but it was nice. I enjoy Hwy 27, the Palouse scenic byway, and some of the smaller backroads.

Latah Creek meanders into the hills......

The view from Farmington is nice..obvious why its FARMington

A ways south of there i came across this......

Note the basalt column marker..

Those were some gritty times.....

I motored on into Palouse, the town, which unfortunately was pretty much closed up on Sunday. Could have used a cuppa too. So i continued on across the state line to Potlatch Idaho where those heathens were open for business. Grabbed a snack and some fuel. I am now running along on the Whitepine Scenic Route...

into the ivy league towns...

I motored to point on the Palouse River.. quite a few miles upstream from where it jumps off the 200' cliff of Palouse Falls..
Hmmm missing that photo... ooops. EDIT Got the pic for ya...

Zoomed my way up and over the divide on Hwy 6 which is awesome, then Hwy 3 into St Maries... The St Maries River comes out of the hills and creates this amazing wetland..

then #97 along the east side of Lake Cda.

More soon! Cheers!

N-Id-Jim screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 09:25 AM
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #107
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
I've seen picture's of this place before. Never get old seeing them either. You done good on this one.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #108
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,796
Give it another week or two and all those fields will be lush green and it will be time to run that loop again. The Palouse is always changing and always beautiful.

Very nice photos, thanks for sharing.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #109
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=TheAdmiral;23940444]I've seen picture's of this place before. Never get old seeing them either. You done good on this one.

I find that if I take enough pictures I get a few keepers, Thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #110
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Give it another week or two and all those fields will be lush green and it will be time to run that loop again. The Palouse is always changing and always beautiful.

Very nice photos, thanks for sharing.
I am ready for that Warm and green Palouse any day now.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #111
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

I took a little trip

I hit the road Saturday morning May 10th, got home Saturday Nite the 17th. I will post up some of the highlights of those 8 days..

I just happened to work it out that i was able to pull some time off and a kitchen pass at the same time.. I will spare you all the boring details, but I was able to hatch a plan to meander about in WA, OR, and ID camping, mooching, and generally creating a nuisance.

Here is a quick shot of the first day..........

Saturday morning in CdA was not pretty. Heavy overcast skys and wet roads, tho not as wet as the days rains of the day before...when i had actually hoped to leave.. so with my T-stat showing a balmy 45 deg F. I rolled out. I was optimistic that by the time i got to the tri-cities, everything would be grand....I burned the interstate westward thru spokane, up on to the West Plains the temps dropped.. I was seeing 39 degrees now.. Brrrrrrrr. Not to be dissuaded I kept her revvin' and burned off 140 miles into Othello in under 2 hours.. I stopped for fuel and a cuppa at the C-store, but me not being fluent in Spanish, i couldnt really shoot the shit with anyone there.
So with a bit of warmth returning, i left.

I got out here and took a couple pics on the Hanford Res... things were looking up.. Hanford is kind of spooky.. This is the site of the uranium enrichment project that led to 2 atom bombs being dropped on Japan.. Now we are spending zillions of dollars to try top clean up our mess in the desert.

Funny thing is this a wild life refuge now, but I wouldnt eat anything that has been living out here. You can see some of the buildings out there..

The views started to improve:

Mount Adams.

In Mabton WA they have high hopes for the hops!

I rolled down to Cottonwood Canyon on the John Day, where i spent the first night...

The sky is blue, and life is groovey again!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #112
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Nice first day picture's.

Never seen Mt. Adams from this vantage point. Guess I should get out more.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #113
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

I think i found that view along the Bickleton to Goldnedale rd... Just north of the Columbia Gorge..
Old 05-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #114
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 2, Sunday 5-11-14

From Cottonwood canyon on the John Day River down to French Glen by Steens Mountain is todays itinerary.

I got camp rolled up under a big blue sky, while thinking about the great day of riding ahead of me.. I had plenty of coffee, and Henry had tea..yesterday afternoon late, Henry rolled into the campground on his '81 Honda CB400, with plenty of gear lashed on.. As it turned out he is on an exchange at Montana State U Architecture School, same place I went to school.. how funny! He has transferred from England to his current home in Australia, to here. Now he is on a walkabout, on a Honda. Cool!

Here's Henry....

After saying goodbye we got kitted up and went our own ways, him toward Portland... me the other way. My route today takes me through Condon, and Fossil, among other neat spots...

The Central Oregon roads are bitchin, miles and miles and miles:

Lots of cool views:

Took a break in a shady spot....

Keep on truckin:

I kept things moving along on down Hwy 395, which is really a blast to ride down through Oregon... all the way til I popped out near Burns.. I fueled up and grabbed a snack in Burns, then lit the Burners for the 60 mile spin down to French Glen.. There is no way these pics will do it justice, I was totally unprepared for how dramatic the scenes would be down in this neck of the woods.. well actually there isnt any woods here.... Just vastness...

The road to Steens:

Steens come into view about 4o miles away.

Views of the enormous wildlife refuge.

After a quick stop I motored out the 4 mile gravel road to the BLM campground called Page Springs.. Here is shot from up on the hill, you can see the spring fed creek, this is a great place to camp. No fancy stuff here..

You can just see my moto, if you squint.

Home sweet home:

It was great day to be out here, though here at 4400' elevation i am thinking it will get chilly tonight! Cheers!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #115
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Really nice views for sure. Good trip Back road off interstate are the best. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #116
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
Day 2, Sunday 5-11-14

From Cottonwood canyon on the John Day River down to French Glen by Steens Mountain is todays itinerary.

I got camp rolled up under a big blue sky, while thinking about the great day of riding ahead of me.. I had plenty of coffee, and Henry had tea..yesterday afternoon late, Henry rolled into the campground on his '81 Honda CB400, with plenty of gear lashed on.. As it turned out he is on an exchange at Montana State U Architecture School, same place I went to school.. how funny! He has transferred from England to his current home in Australia, to here. Now he is on a walkabout, on a Honda. Cool!

Here's Henry....

After saying goodbye we got kitted up and went our own ways, him toward Portland... me the other way. My route today takes me through Condon, and Fossil, among other neat spots...

The Central Oregon roads are bitchin, miles and miles and miles:

Lots of cool views:

Took a break in a shady spot....

Keep on truckin:

I kept things moving along on down Hwy 395, which is really a blast to ride down through Oregon... all the way til I popped out near Burns.. I fueled up and grabbed a snack in Burns, then lit the Burners for the 60 mile spin down to French Glen.. There is no way these pics will do it justice, I was totally unprepared for how dramatic the scenes would be down in this neck of the woods.. well actually there isnt any woods here.... Just vastness...

The road to Steens:

Steens come into view about 4o miles away.

Views of the enormous wildlife refuge.

After a quick stop I motored out the 4 mile gravel road to the BLM campground called Page Springs.. Here is shot from up on the hill, you can see the spring fed creek, this is a great place to camp. No fancy stuff here..

You can just see my moto, if you squint.

Home sweet home:

It was great day to be out here, though here at 4400' elevation i am thinking it will get chilly tonight! Cheers!
Enjoying your report, love those places. I've camped at Page Springs a few times. One night on top of a very busy mole subway exit. It took a while to figure out the dirt rats were under the tent and not in it! Wacked a few then moved the camp over a few yards.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #117
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 928
oh, phuc, sorry. quoting skills suck here.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #118
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
oh, phuc, sorry. quoting skills suck here.
Oh that is funny!! Not the quoting skills, but the mole story.. that is great!

I'm glad i didn't get the same visitors, i would have likely had a bad reaction!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #119
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 3; Monday May 12th Steens Mountain to Lake Owyhee. (had wrong map first time, fixed it)

It got pretty chilly last night under a clear starbright sky.... high thirties. So i took my time getting organized until the sun started to peek over the top of the high steep hillsides.. Once motivated and rolled up, I rode the 4 miles of crunchy gravel road back to the highway in French Glen. By about 10am the sun was smiling brightly for me.

The first stop for the day was Diamond Or. Not much there, but this cool old hotel might be good for a return visit some day.

Another place that might be fun,

With Diamond in the dust behind me i tooled out Lava Bed Rd htrough weird formations until i got to French's round barn. I found this to be cool:

A really cutting edge design for the times.......

The circular training track

I headed north... up to a curvy Oregon Highway 20 along the Malheur River...

N-Id-Jim screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 10:15 AM
Old 05-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #120
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,796
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote