Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #121
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
From the Buena Vista overlook of the wildlife refuge to the Lava Beds this region around Steens Mountain is fascinating, and I am likely to return sometime when the high country will be accessible. That will have to be in August...also I hear the bugs can be pretty bad out here. My visit has been great.

I romped up over some big climbs on the smooth 2-laner Hwy 20 over the Stinking Water Mountains, and smae name creek, bombed through the canyons of the Malheur River, arriving in Vale Or. with a huge grin on my face. Hwy 20 exceeded all expectations :). Here is where i found fuel and grocery supplies for my excursion down to Lake Owyhee state Park.

Just a bit south of Vale on the Hwy known as Lytle Blvd..i came to a historical Oregon Trail site.. This is Oregon, after all. Among the various exhibits was this. It make my campout trip seem pretty puny..

There are well preserved wagon ruts here too, but just take alook at most any sagebrush covered field, and there you have it..

With calm and clear blue skies above me, and time on my side, I motored up the Owyhee River canyon.. The road is fun, but not fast, and the scenery got more dramatic with every bend until I got to here :

Then you get to this....

My campground views....

Happy camper
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #122
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 886
Good thread and some really cool pix.

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #123
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
Good thread and some really cool pix.
Thanks Bluestar.. I enjoy throwing out what i can.

I have a few more days of this trip yet to post.. I will try to get on it!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #124
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Nice photo. Though I haven't been to this part of Lake Owyhee in a couple years (been upstream if you will), this park as always been empty when visiting. We walked out to the point, and if I remember, the water at that time was almost lapping at our feet. Hope it was nice and peaceful for you.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #125
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=TheAdmiral;24300814]Nice photo. Though I haven't been to this part of Lake Owyhee in a couple years (been upstream if you will), this park as always been empty when visiting. We walked out to the point, and if I remember, the water at that time was almost lapping at our feet. Hope it was nice and peaceful for you.

Thanks Admiral. May is a great time to go to Lake Owyhee.. no bugs, no people, a lot of fishermen in the river tho.. temperature was perfect..too
Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #126
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 4, Tuesday May 13, Lake Owyhee State Park to Gooding Idaho

This morning arrived much warmer than yesterday which was really nice to relax with the coffee in the mild sunny weather as the lake changed colors with the rising sun angle. Lk Owyhee State Park amenities are great and I help myself to a second shower this morning..(first one last nite) .. After putzing around camp and reorganizing my now dry and defrosted gear, I finally hit the road about 10am.. No great urgency today as I have until 6pm to finish off about 210 mile to my Sisters house.

I slowly navigated the crazy road around the lake back to the dam that is the lake maker.. Due caution is advised on this road…

On down the canyon I was entertained by the fishing activity, obviously this is a popular place for the linemen, cars are parked at every available wide spot. Waders are the style. The road was pretty entertaining too.

Out of the Owyhee valley . Looking back

took the turn and headed for Adrian OR.........

N-Id-Jim screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 09:09 PM
Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #127
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
...and the road through the tunnel and up to the dam use to be a railroad they used when they built the dam! The syphon tubes crossing the road are part of the irrigation canals and canal tunnels coming from the dam.

I'm glad you were able to visit Lake Owyhee. Lots of good riding both pavement and on the jeep roads around it.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #128
Ghostie
Cereal Killa

Oddometer: 67
Great thread, really makes me want to move out that way.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #129
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Great thread, really makes me want to move out that way.
Thanks for the kind words..
Old 06-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #130
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 4 continues...

I made a stop near Marsing Idaho at a nice little park on the shore of Lake Lowell...

This girl entertained me..

I motored on along Hwy 75 on the south side of the Snake River heading eastward..

The views...

Found this on Oreana... who woulda thunk it??

Out back of the church just a ways..

Onward Ho!

Next stop ... Gooding!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #131
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Gooding is a small town that milks its living out of dairy cows for the most part. There is other stuff too, like a State School for the deaf, liquor stores, bars, and Mexican restaurants. Well, ok… there’s more than just that, but this is just a nice little laid back town. Tourists are looking the other way as they pass, and the pretentious are in Sun Valley. And that is just fine as far as most of the folks around here are concerned. I am here to visit my Sister Janet and her Husband Hoot. They have a nice ranch just north of the city limits where they raise roping horses.

They have a good gig going with the horses, and Janet is a school-marm as well. It was an easy spin out to find their place where I figured some cold ones might be waiting, but I packed in some of my own just in case. It was a great finish to the day enjoying a home cooked dinner and catching up on some laughs.

Wednesday Day 5: Life on the ranch is busy. Morning comes early and there are lots of chores to be done. Janet is out the door to feed the horses, all 24 of them, by about 6am.. Donkey demands it. Then she is off to work her school day. In the evening they are all hungry again, including the 13 roping steers, Bobo, several dogs, the cats, and maybe some people too. While she is doing that, me and Hoot watch TV and drink beers! Life is good. Actually, I think one horse got new shoes today, several got exercised, the arena was groomed, and a roping instruction clinic happened. Somewhere in the middle of all that, me and Hoot took a motorcycle ride down to Hagerman, and saw the awesome Malad River Canyon:

After a tasty lunch in Hagerman at the spiffy Snake River Grille, we buzzed south to Bliss, then looped back up and down to the Snake River Canyon bottom, where we visited the Clear Springs Foods Fish Hatchery. CSFH is a commercial food fish factory that raises Steelhead Trout and Sturgeon for commercial trade.

At the Snake River Grille, for lunch, I had an amazing fillet of Sturgeon sandwich. Maybe a relative of this 6 footer.... Its good to know your food groups! The hatchery visit was very cool, and with that done, it was time to motor home and finish the days chores, and find out what Janet was fixin for dinner. . Truth be told we went out for Mexican chow. It was another great day of vacation, with a bit of riding too. Tomorrow will be even better………
Old 06-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #132
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Here is a little map of where that fishin hole is........but dont tell any body.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #133
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 6:

Cruised about on the canal roads around Gooding and Shoeshone, lookin for gophers that Janet could cook later, but we saw none.. I had to get over to Boise today for another meeting... so I headed North on Hwy 46. Which is a nice ride out to Fairfield...

Saw some local residents

Burned along Hwy 20 to mountain home, took in some nice views out there.

Made it to Boise... nothing to see there boys...
Old 06-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #134
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Friday Day 7: the penultimate day
Typical of any urban metro center, the weekday morning city traffic is a bit frenetic until you are well clear of town. That means you need to be on full red – alert. In Boise that rule applies until out past Emmett, which is about 25 miles. Beyond that, things were settling down nicely into a more rural pace where I can enjoy the ride. I finally reached escape velocity on Hwy 52 on a northwesterly heading down the broad Payette River Valley. I drifted through New Plymouth, then merged onto Hwy 95 N in Payette, the town. The next 50 mile jaunt up 95 isn’t a bad route for a busy major state highway. The long views of the distant hills and mountains frame up the springtime blessings of the Weiser River Valley, which the road traces. Some long grades and fun sweeper turns bring me right into Cambridge Idaho. This being the last real town for a while, I fuel up and take advantage of the convenience / liquor store / parts counter… only in Idaho. Supplies stashed away, I am Hells Canyon bottom bound on Hwy 71.

First though, the road climbs up the Pine Creek grade (there are a lot of Pine Creeks, aren’t there?) initially through open hills scented of sage and juniper, then it winds up into tall green pines and tamaracks as it tops Brownlee Pass at 4131. Awesome views of the snowcapped Oregon Wallowa Range briefly appear on the brilliant blue horizon, but then disappear as the grade bombs down a tightly twisting Brownlee Creek Canyon to the reservoir on the Snake at about 1900’. I have been up and down this canyon dozens of times and this is still one of my favorite stretches of pavement.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #135
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 7 Cont'd

Todays route..... a little odd maybe.

I don’t know what it is, but being in Hells Canyon just does something for me. Something good.

I tooled around in Woodhead Park, where I have worked and stayed many times. The place looks great as Idaho Power Co does an amazing job with the upkeep of all the parks in the canyon. I don’t plan to stay, but I linger for a bit before floating on downstream. Crossing into Oregon the 2-lane hugs the long and narrow Oxbow Reservoir at the toe of the mountainside until just below Oxbow Dam, then bridges back into Idaho to follow the shoreline of Hells Canyon Reservoir. I have often seen bighorn sheep along this stretch, but none today. The ride down into the raw rock canyon walls of Hells Canyon Dam is a fun 23 mile out and back route. Today I take just 7 of those to the grassy Hells Canyon Park oasis where I take time out of the warm sunny afternoon to relax in the shade of giant cottonwood trees.

It’s a good place for a snack and a cool drink while absorbing the views of the rocky and still untamed canyon and the placidly delayed river water of the lake. I powered back upstream under the blue sky to Copperfield Junction, in Oregon again, where Hwy 86 begins the sinuous climb up yet another Pine Creek. 
Hwy 86 is a smooth, fast, and well-engineered thoroughfare leading to Baker City. It is tempting to work up some warm tire temperatures on this 70 mile stretch, and maybe they got a little warm, but it is worth sitting up to take notice of the natural eye candy along the way. Pine Creek is scouring its rocky bed with rushing cascades of whitewater run-off. Once up the bendy groove of the creek, expansive grassy meadows carpet the terrace where Halfway and Pine sit. This a fertile bench in the otherwise steep terrain from the Snake up into the Wallowas. Out of Pine, the climbing soon begins anew over a small pass then drops again to meet the Powder River Valley in Richland. You will think that you are heading back up into the mountains as another small pass tricks you into that, but then a change of course puts you right back on the river to navigate the fifteen miles of endless river rapids and bends under an awesome Oregon afternoon sky. When finally topping out of the river gorge thinking that it can’t get much better than this, views of the white capped crests of the Elkhorns and Wallowas top it all off.

You get just over the next hilltop and more booming views of the Baker Valley spread out before you, just the same as it did for the wagon masters back in the day. I had to stop to take it in. Then I noted the sign for the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center.
I don’t normally go for the touristy roadside hoonyaak type of attractions, but the day’s schedule is slack so I spun a 180 headed up the driveway. If you visit, don’t be dissuaded by the small looking building that is visible from the road. The featured facility is unseen, and a mile or so further up a paved but narrow and steep driveway. There the attraction becomes apparent.

Now here is a hard all-day seat!

It is a remarkable installation of both indoor and outdoor depictions of life as it was on the trail, all on a bluff with a commanding view of the old wagon route through the valley.

The place is absolutely eye popping. I took a peek inside but had to flee as the museum was over-run with field tripping school children. Just my luck, but I did enjoy the outdoor displays. Thoroughly impressed I coasted back to the highway and trotted the last few miles into Baker City.