User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
GPrairie_Rider OP
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Tell me about a VFR please.

Hey guys, this past saturday i stopped in to the local Honda Suzuki shop to get some fork oil and an air filter for the GSXR. I was walking about the showroom, looking at the endless Shadows, M109s etc. Looked over on the used section and saw a Deep Cherry Red VFR800. This thing caught my eye, its an 2007 with 7800 miles, $6,995.

Now i love my GSXR, but i have been tooling around the net and there are more options for the VFR luggage wise than my "racebike with lights". Ive done some shopping online at used ones, Cycle Trader mostly. Any thing i really need to look for?? I love the look of the VTEC 6th Gen model. But the 5Th Gen would be a close second. I dont like the new VFR1200. So any feedback and help learning about these would be awesome. I am looking to keep my Zuk, maybe tack duty?

I youtubed some exhaust clips of that V4 and WOW love the sound. Makes me want one even more.

What say Ye?

Chris
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,836
The search function here can't accommodate three letter words, so VFR threads are hard to find. Here's the biggest one I know of.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430445
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
GPrairie_Rider OP
Dirt Junkie

Haha Thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I used to own a Harley Softail and loved it. I got interested in the VFR and bought a new 2008. I stopped riding the Harley, so I sold it. I still have the VFR with about 27k miles on it and love it. I commute to work almost every day on it and have done a few multi day trips and have no complaints whatsoever. The one thing to be aware of is the cost of a valve adjustment. Its a big job and so it is expensive. However, I've heard of lots of people that have gone way past the 16k mi (I think) interval without problems. I had mine done at about 20k. I've rigged mine with heated grip liners, the power commander, sargent seat, and I think that is all it really needs.

It is just a good, solid, dependable and fun bike. You'll enjoy it on the twisties and be just as happy slabbing all day in the rain as well (at least I do).
Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,038
Bottom line -- if you can live with the somewhat heavy weight and slightly ponderous low speed handling, they are awesome motorcycles. Beware of faulty charging systems Reg/Rects on all 90s-mid 00 models. The fix is not difficult but a little involved. Vtec models significantly complicate maintenance procedures such as checking and adjusting the valve clearance. This means more expense if you are having the work done at a shop. All regular maintenance is annoying because you can't do much to the bike without removing a LOT of plastic -- and most of it is annoying to remove. Nature of the beast...

I really don't know of any serious faults on any gen, other than the aforementioned charging hiccups.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
GPrairie_Rider OP
Dirt Junkie

Hey i totally get the removing of plastics and how much of a pain it is -_-. I think my GSXR is the worst, also with low speeds. But im finding myself doing more sport touring style riding with it. I am a huge fan of 4-cylinder bikes, and i love sportbikes. I just see the VFR doing so much more than my GSXR. It would def be a better 2-up bike than my GSXR, my g/f would thank me. I have no problem doing most of the work myself, i do that on the GSXR now.

Can i justify 2 sportbikes? Hell yea i can!

Can I run the track and then ride the world with both? Hell yea i can!

Everything just makes since to have both. Not for one particular reason, but just for my happyness.

Sorry for rambling, im trying to figure this out. OH! Where do you guys find these dirt road ya'll take your sportbikes down?? I def wanna do that!!

Chris
Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
zrxmoto
don't wanna be a n00b

Oddometer: 125
Heavy and ponderous handling are relative. My Nomad is heavy and ponderous.

I have a 2002 VFR and love it. I had an '08 GSXR600 last year. I determined I needed my sportbike to have a little more usability. The VFR fit the bill. I have the factory side cases and use an SWMotech mount for a Givi topcase.

The VTEC got a bad rap when introduced. VTEC engages around 6800 rpm on '02-'06 and a little lower on >'06 models (I think). You get a nice rush and growl when the valves open up. You do have to be paying attention though.

A friend of mine was a 5th gen nut owning at various times a 98, 99, and '01. Wonderful bikes.

The new VFR1200 is Honda's impersonation of a BMW K1300S, and about just as expensive.
2010 KLX250S
zrxmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxmoto View Post
The new VFR1200 is...
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
I like the old vfrs the new ones are obscenely overpriced and totally ugly.Im suprised Honda hasnt taken a loss on that bike sale wise?For tht price Im buying a bmw or Ducati /Aprilia something w clout and prestige.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,430
no pitchers anywon?

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,617
Rode one for about 8 years. Ran it year round and did everything I asked it to do. Even made it around the track now and then. . ..

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Wow does that make me happy I do my own service!!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

In truth, I was on a prepaid service plan, so could care less what the numbers were. But that being said, they did change the plan after I racked up 36K and associated services. . .. (they were anticipating less than 3K per year).
Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
dino1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175