Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #16
Land OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
NOW HANG ON HEER JUST A DOGGONE MINIT!!

I rezent the fact dat Land is using my name in dis thred. I dont no no won named Land. Never have. Wut you may be reeding heer is a bunch of cotton pikn lies and stuff. Downt beleeve a word of it. I think he be purty good at that fotoshopper thing to, so ya prolly can't trust his pichurs eether. ate at my table?,slep in my spare room? Sat in my seets at Climpsun? Whar ya rekkon he come up wid this stuff?

Downt beleeve anythang you reed on the innerwebs unless you have verufide it sumwhar else!

Dis Land gy mae be sum kinda terist too......I have heerd he tried to burn down a motel out west summers.

Fido

Pretty easy to believe that he has an imaginary friend after that, ain't it?

It'll be a while, phideaux, but I'll get to our WestFest and post-WestFest shenanigans eventually. In the meantime, I miss this little spot in Montana.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #17
Land OP
Wanderer

Almost Paradise

When last I left you, ABuck99 and I were riding across the Big Mac.

We stopped in whatever city this is in the UP.

I popped into a shop to look for a sticker, and when I came out, ABuckk99 was talking to a fellow who is an ADV inmate. Unless that guy chimes in or Andrew remembers his username, we'll never know who it was, 'cause I have no clue.

We took MI 123 up to Lake Superior. (Some of these pictures are likely out of sequence.

Andrew's ready to dive in.

That's me talking on my phone to LandWife. A phone is a nice thing to have to keep connected. Take good, good care of your phone. (More on that later.)

Stay tuned,
Chris

Land screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 06:13 AM
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #18
Land OP
Wanderer

Paradise

Andrew and I continued up MI123 on that Thursday and ended up in Paradise at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.

We wanderd around the grounds.

That rudder. ^^^^^^^

I tried a pastie.

Stay tuned,
Chris
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
Land OP
Wanderer

Dude! Where's my phone?!

After strolling around the grounds of the shipwreck museum, Andrew and I geared up and mounted up to head toward Marquette, where Andrew has a college buddy. We rode fo a while on MI 123 and took some dirt for a while after we came up to a road closure.

After riding around back there for a while -- and hitting some deep sand -- we stopped on a little bridge for a little break.

Andrew commented that it would be cool to post a pic of our bikes for our buddies back in the Southeast. I reached for my phone. I searched for my phone. I dug around in my bags for my phone even though i knew I hadn't put it in them. No phone. Crap.

I knew that I had had it back in the parking lot of the shipwreck museum -- where I had put it in airplane mode to attempt to save some battery life.

We headed back to Paradise to see if it was still in the parking lot or someone had turned it in. No joy. We snagged a motel room in Marquette and had dinner and barley pops at a really cool tavern made from logs -- and with log furniture.

To make a long story short, I bought a new phone in Marquette and ended up buying my old phone back from some guy who contacted me weeks later and said that he had bought it at a flea market -- near Oklahoma City, about 1200 miles from where I lost it. (I had reported it lost/stolen when I bought the new phone, so it was basically useless as a phone to anyone else.)

Anyway, we met up with Andrew's college buddy Andy for some lunch in Marquette and made preparations to head to Andy's family's "camp" on a lake near Big Bay. The "camp" is actually a "cabin." The "cabin" is actually a beautiful little house with a great view and great amenities. We got up there on Friday evening and stayed until Saturday late morning. It wasn't quite 24 hours that we were with Andy, but we packed a lot into that time. Have a look.

Andy makes this cool furniture from bicycle parts.

Andrew

Avast, there, matey!

Me

Andy

Chef Andrew

Chef Andy

Despite how nice the cabin was, I wanted to sleep in my hammock.

It's a beautiful piece of the world.

It got a little cool in the evening, so Andy and I scrounged around in the closets and found these stylin' sweaters.

This awesome early Bronco was in town the next morning at our breakfast stop.

The college buddies.

Andrew and I were sad to have to have to head out and toward home, but he needed to be back Monday.

Next up, we'll head west to get back down south and east.

Stay tuned,
Chris
Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #20
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Ahh the long anticipated Land RR!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
Ahh the long anticipated Land RR!
Ha! I don't think that anyone has been "anticipating" it but you and my mom -- and I'm not so sure about my mom!

I'll be getting the next installment done later today, I hope.

Stay tuned,
Chris
Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
Land OP
Wanderer

Homeward bound

After breakfast --

and saying our goodbyes to Andy, Andrew and I headed out to start making our way toward home.

We did some blue highways in the late morning and the afternoon before ending up on the interstate to make time. I don't really remember what/where or even if we had lunch that day, but we stopped for supper at the Brat Stop in Kenosha, WI. Gooooood stuff!

We only went a few more miles after we ate, ending up the night in a motel in Waukegan, IL. I remember passing the Great Lakes Naval Training Center where my younger brother did his basic training long ago. Didn't get a pic, though.

Stay tuned,
Chris
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #23
Land OP
Wanderer

Now that I think about it, that ride by the naval training center was Sunday morning rather than Saturday evening. Ach, most of you just look at pictures anyway.

We got up eaaaaarly Sunday morning and made our way through some fancy neighborhoods before heading for downtown Chicago.

Across from Wrigley Field, there's a bar that, apparently, caters to ADVriders.

I found a nice parking spot for the bike.

We had done all of that before 7 a.m.

Andrew led the way down Lakeshore Drive.

That day was Father's Day, so I called my dad during one of our morning fuel stops to wish him a happy Father's Day. I'm fortunate to have him and my mother inmy life. Hey, they tried.

We had left Chicago on the interstate, but after that fuel stop somewhere south of the city on I57, we headed the rest of th way on state and U.S. highways all the waay down through Illinois into Indiana, dodging in and out of rain pretty much all day.

A whole lotta this.

Our idea was to head to Nashville and spend the night. We got near Nashville and felt like it was too early to call it a day, so we decided to head to Andrew's place in Atlanta. Th eidea was that I'd spend the night there, then head home Monday. When we got near his house, there was still a lot of daylight left, so I motioned for Andrew to pull over, I said my goodbyes to him, and I headed on home to LandWife. That was about a 900-mile day for me, with about half of it on state and U.S. routes -- and Chicago streets and sidewalks -- and about half on interstates.It was a little less for Andrew since he didn't have the my-house-to-his-house/his-house-to-my-house legs. It was a great trip, and ABuck99 is a great riding partner. Thanks, Andrew.

It was good to get back home -- but I was ready to go again soon. And I did!

Stay tuned,
Chris
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
ABuck99

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land View Post
When last I left you, ABuck99 and I were riding across the Big Mac.

We stopped in whatever city this is in the UP.

I popped into a shop to look for a sticker, and when I came out, ABuckk99 was talking to a fellow who is an ADV inmate. Unless that guy chimes in or Andrew remembers his username, we'll never know who it was, 'cause I have no clue.

We took MI 123 up to Lake Superior. (Some of these pictures are likely out of sequence.

Chris
Chris

This was just before the bridge in Charlevoix- I dont recall that inmates name - but I do recall he did own a KTM 990 -

Im loving the thread- keep it flowing- sure wish I had the time to go back & do that ride again. Especially the UP-eh- all that sand and so little time to ride it.

keep a leash on the phone-

Abuck99
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #25
Land OP
Wanderer

People I love and roads I hate

I spent four or five days at home. Enjoyed some time with LandWife. Hung out with some friends. Washed some clothes. Mowed the lawn. Picked up my '06 R1200GS Adventure from the dealer, where it had been getting a new final drive.

Ain't it purty?

I needed to run it for a few miles so that the dealer could change the FD oil, so I went to Atlanta for lunch one day.

One day that week, I went with my dad and my then-nine-year-old nephew to a flea market. I don't remeber what I got Nephew Zachary (an AirSoft-ish gun, maybe? ), but I got "Uncle Chris" this.

Yeah, it was a pellet gun that shoots soft pellets. I found a pic.

After the Atlanta lunch trip, I came back, had the dealer change the FD oil in that shiny new FD, and then I loaded up the bike to ride to Florida to visit my cousin and his wife for a night and my in-laws for a couple of days.

My cousin Frank made some room in his garage for me.

Tina and me. (I don't seem to have a pic of cousin Frank. He's not any better lookin' that me, so you ain't a-missin' much!)

(Cousin Frank is on a GoldWing forum wth ol' phideaux, BTW, so I had Frank send phideaux a confusin' message that had phideaux going . )

Since I'm so highfalutin, Frank and Tina brought out the fancy stemware for me.

I had a good time with the Florida cousins.

My in-laws are now full-time Florida dwellers. They're in a condo community in Charlotte Harbor. There's a nice pool. I enjoyed it and seeing my mother-in-law and father-in-law. They're cool people, but I can't believe that they actually let me marry their daughter. (After mary Elizabeth and I were married for a couple of years, I did a multi-week road trip with a couple of old friends. My mother-in-law gave me some cash and insisted that it could only be spent on beer. She said to call if we had an emergency and needed money, but that that money was beer money.)

I didn't take many pics at the in-laws'. In fact, I may not have even had a camera with me other than the one on my camera.

I got a crack-of-dawn kinda start on the day that I went home.

Anybody else find the name of this daycare/pre-school funny?

A couple of hours or so up I-75, I was in this.

It molassesed along, and when we got to an exit, the Florida HP was diverting everyone off the interstate, so I knew that it was really, really bad. I found out later that a woman had wandered out on the road in the pre-dawn hours and had been run over by lots of vehicles before the sun came up. Horrible. The interstate was shut down so that he highway patrol could collect "evidence."

Anyway, that was a Wednesday (June 29), and it was the day of one of our Upstate SC ADV Dinner and Ride meetings in Greenville, SC. My goal was to get there in time for dinner. After about a 700-mile day on pretty much all interstate, I got there in time. See how much I love those people?

I was home for a night or two.

LandWife and I usually go to North Myrtle Beach, SC, with a group of friends around the 4th of July. She and I did that, and we all had a great time.

See, we really were there.

We drove her car for that trip, though, so the picture doesn't really count.

This one doesn't count, either, but I went boating with my buddy and neighbor Roger during that time. Sum-mer-tiiiiime, and the livin' is eee-easy!"

Stay tuned, and I'll eventually get you to the west coast, to Westfest and out here:

Chris
Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #26
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
keep a leash on the phone-

Abuck99

Thanks for the info on the town.

I need to get down to ACME Rider Supply and buy some gloves from you and let you buy me sammich.

Take care,
Chris
Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
Django
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481

Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #28
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

That was a very good day.

Chris
Old 05-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #29
Land OP
Wanderer

Art for art's sake

I forgot to show y'all this statue that I admired on the beach trip. They should put this in The Musée du Louvre.

Chris
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #30
Land OP
Wanderer

As Tom T. Hall said, "That's how I got to Memphis"

After the 4th of July beach trip with LandWife, I hung around home a few days, then I packed up the bike and left July 10 for what ended up being a three-week trip. It included a visit to California and a ride up the Pacific Coast Highway, a stop at WestFest 2011 in Darby, MT.

The first day I left my home in Abbeville, SC fairly late in the morning. It was a Sunday. (July 10)

I didn't really have a plan for where I would spend the night. My idea was to ride until I wanted to stop and find a place to camp.

On the road somewhere, I remembered that my buddy Red Bud from Georgia was running a construction job in Memphis, so I pulled out my phone and gave him a call. Voicemail, so I left him one. Next time I stopped, I had a message from Mark saying to come on!

I called him from a couple of miles out, lost despite the GPS, and he gave me good directions to head on in to the apartmenty complex where he is staying while he's on the Memphis job.

He was waiting outside for me when I got thetre a few minutes later, so I said hello from the saddle.

(I stole this pic from his SmugMug site. He'll prolly sue me.)

I know that I took a few pics while I was with Mark, but dang if I can find them. Here he is a few months later at the Rebel Yell campout in North Georgia, lost in thought. Knowing Red Bud, he's surely thinking about bewbies.

After we went by the job site of the complex that Mark is honcho-ing the building of, we grabbed some bar-b-que at a cool little place that he knew not too far away. That night, we sat up a while shootin' the breeze. It was good to catch up with a good dude who I don't get to see often enough.

Red Bud's building project was in its infancy then. As I recall, the schedule was for it to take about 18 months, so he's coming up on a year there. Maybe he can post a couple of pics of the project.

Mark put me up in the spare room of the apartment he's staying in. He also made room in his garage for my bike.

It was great seeing him and enjoying his hospitality.

Next up, I steal some likker and hit the road.

Stay tuned,
Chris