ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Randy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
M/C camping in N. GA??

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been covered many times already, but I'm not sure how best to find the discussions other than simply asking... So, please forgive me asking an almost noobish type of question...

Due to a series of events I had sorta migrated away from riding for the last few years. I still rode on occasion, but had just gotten out of it in the way I once was. Then due to a few more life events I was drawn back to my lifelong passion of motorcycling. Done a couple of semi longer rides over the last year and have been enjoying my riding more than ever even though with the exception of my 4 day BRP trip last summer, it's been all daytrips of various lengths so far. I had been thinking about taking some weekend M/C camping trips and was really looking forward to returning to some of my older experiences. But then at some point I learned of the demise of T.W.O. up in Suches, GA... I have a lot of great memories of that place and had been looking forward to returning for a weekend camping trip just before I learned they had closed. What a shame. Some of my fondest memories of T.W.O. was when Frank was still alive. Once he hand drew me a map of one of his favorite routes. I still have that map too, and yep, it is even signed by Frank himself. Then there was the day that Frank offered to take me on a guided tour of one of his favorite "secret" ride routes. Yep, he could get along pretty good on that VX800 too! Great memories of a great part of motorcycling history for me.

So, anyway to my point... As much as I regret T.W.O. closing, I'd still like to do a bit of M/C camping in the area this year. I know it won't be the same but can anyone recommend an alternative place to go. Preferably I'd like to find a place in that general area, since I live south of Atlanta and would like the option of just a quick trip type of thing for those times I don't want to go farther from home. I would prefer a place that has bathroom/bathhouse facilities and that has a source of food reasonably close by.

Geeeeeesh! I'm gonna miss Britt's breakfast in the lodge in the morning with my fellow riders, hanging out in the evening drinking beer with perfect strangers just because they're part of a "brotherhood" called motorcyclists....ice on site... loaner towels for the bathhouse, the wheelbarrow for hauling firewood to your campsite, the swimming pool, etc. It really was a special place for me...

Of course I'd still like to learn of other good alternatives that may be a farther away, but I'd like to sort of use Suches as the center of my circle and sort of radiate out from there when considering distance as I start to investigate other places. Then of course, I'm sure there will be times when I'll be ready to make longer trips and won't mind more distant facilities, but for the moment I'm looking more for just a short trip, overnight, ride around, and back home, with some nice riding in and around my camp site. Sorta like I used to enjoy at T.W.O.

Any advice or links to other similar discussions will be greatly appreciated.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 03:37 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,123
keep going past two on 60 look for the wildcat store on your left, they have a campground across the st. good folks and food

beware of that coates dude hanging around

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Standing Indian Campground

I know you said N. Georgia, but Standing Iindian campground is really accessible to everything in N. Georgia. If you don't find something you like, take a look at it. It's awesome...
You can google it...
Old 05-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
You can still camp in Suches at High Valley Campground. This is Frank's old airport and is now operated by his son. It used to be part of TWO. The Suches gas station is motorcycle friendly and does have some food. There is a restaurant just a few miles down 180. It used to be Lenny's. Not sure when it's open, might just be weekends.

http://highvalleyresort.com/camping.asp

klaviator screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 09:00 AM
klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Randy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I did notice the Wildcat place a few weeks ago as I motored past on my way up to do the Cherohala-Deal's Gap loop. It sounds promising so I'll make a point of stopping by for a closer look next time I'm in the area.

I remember staying at the Airport property years ago when we had a DS ride based there. I didn't realize that it was in operation as a full time campground now though, and haven't passed down 180 in years. I'll check it out too, as homage to Frank if nothing else. If the family still has property that close to the old T.W.O. I wonder why they didn't just "move" T.W.O. when they lost the lease on that property so they could keep it open with the original motorcycles only campground concept.

It was really sad to pass the old place a few weeks ago and see it just sitting there, completely devoid of motorcycles and riders when in the past it would have been packed on a beautiful spring Saturday.

And the Standing Indian campground is possible too. I've stayed in Franklin on a two-up M/C trip with the Mrs. a few years ago, but she doesn't camp so we stayed at a little lodge or something or another. Nice little town though, she liked it and hwy 28 is an awesome littlge road. Of course we also have several nice state park campgrounds in the Suches area that might work, so thanks for reminding me of that option. I've done that before on longer trips. But, I guess I was hoping to find something like T.W.O. where motorcycle campers were gravitating in the absence of the real deal.

But thanks guys. You have given me hope at least. Hell, now I have an excuse for a trip up to the mountains to check these places out this weekend.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Standing Indian

Just a heads up. Standing Indian is about 25 miles outside of Franklin. It's probably quicker to get to Hiawassee than Franklin. that's why I recommended it. There is nothing close to this beautiful campground, though.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Tripper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
To me, Wildcat is a far cry from the old T.W.O. and has a long way to go before it has that warm feeling I expect from a motorcycle destination. At the moment, it's just a country store and a heck of alot of exposed red clay. It's sad that Britt and GT couldn't find a suitable place to continue the T.W.O. tradition. I know that you said you were looking for a place that catered to motorcyclists, but there just aren't any in north Georgia. I like primitive camping at Coopers Creek off of hwy 180 and at Dick's Creek near the intersection of 129/9.
Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Randy OP
Beastly Adventurer

I know this has been discussed elsewhere by now, but I'm reviving this old thread to help spread the word in case others may have an interest in visiting the area...

After starting this thread back last year, I never did go camping in the N. GA area. I did ride past the old T.W.O. and was saddened to see it closed and empty... really a depressing sight...

Then, this past week, I decided to take a little weekend camping trip. I came back to this thread to refresh my memory of other possibilities for camping in the area and loaded my gear on my bike Friday night without a real firm plan. Saturday morning I just set out with the idea I'd ride up to Wildcat and check it out, figuring that I could at least stay one night even if it wasn't all that great. And if I really didn't like it I could probably just stay in one of the state parks in the area. So, I left and headed up to Dahlonega, stopped over for a while at Riders Hill, and then headed on up 60. As I started the descent down into Suches I braced myself for the inevitable depressed feeling I knew I'd have when the old T.W.O. came into sight.... And then, as my view opened up I saw bikes in the parking lot. My first thought was that people were just using it for a meeting place. Then as I drew closer and passed I realized that I saw a new sign, and fresh paint, and then tents set up! WOW!

So, I turned around at the store on the corner of 60/180 and went back! I parked and went inside to see people eating, and orders being placed at the kitchen counter. So, I walked up and talked to a nice lady named Bonnie at the counter, and asked about the place. I found out that they had reopened in June, under new ownership. That Britt and GT are no longer involved, etc... They're currently only open on Sat. and Sunday for breakfast and lunch, and the menu isn't very extensive, so it isn't quite the same bed and breakfast feel that the old place used to have. But, the kitchen has been completely revamped and cleaned up with lots of SS, so it looks more like a modern commercial kitchen, there is a brand new and fairly decent bath house out back, new picnic tables are being built, firewood, ice, and rental coolers ($3 per stay) are available. The staff was all very nice and the service was very good. The grass was nicely mown, and the grounds were clean and well kept. I saw nice new touches all over actually.

Some things are missing... They no longer offer dinner for guests. The pool is completely gone. There used to be a shed out front that's gone now. Had a friend that crashed his bike once, and another that had mechanical trouble. Frank let them store their bikes in the shed until they could make arrangements to pick them up. Much of the personality and "lodge" feel is gone from the inside too. There are large dinning tables, a sofa and chairs, and big screen TV over the fireplace, as well as a lot of M/C mags laying around though, and I'm sure the place will gain some character over time too.

Maybe it isn't quite like the old T.W.O. but it sure lifted my spirits to see it reopened again. Having a place like that in such a great riding location, and reasonably close to home, is just something that I hated to lose. It's closing was a loss to the entire motorcycling community actually, as I had met people from all over the world while staying there in the past. So, I'd sure like to get the word out, bring them some business and help them succeed.

For those that may be interested, they have a website up now:

http://www.twowheelsofsuches.com/

And a FB page at:

https://www.facebook.com/TwoWheelsofSuches

Oh, and as a side note for those that like such things, the store across the road now sells beer. I remember in years past, if you wanted beer you'd pretty much have to stop in Dahlonega on the way up, and since my bike was already loaded down it was a PITA. This past weekend I unloaded and set up camp, and then stopped across the road that evening for a six pack. Much more convenient.

And while I mentioned above that TWoS doesn't offer dinner, I was told that the restaurant about 4 miles down 180 is open for dinner and had really good food.

I had a great time this past weekend and met some really nice folks around the campfire Sat. night... Just like the old days... I'm planning to go back this coming weekend. In fact, since it's a perfect place for me to take just an overnight, short weekend, type of trip, I'll probably become a regular again now that they are back up and running. Since it's the only one in the garage with luggage capability, my current camping trip bike is my graphitan R1150GS, unless of course I trailer one of my others behind my white Jeep Rubicon, so if you see a guy named Randy with either of those vehicles, stop by and say hi.

Randy screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 06:43 AM
Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
ArmyJoe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783

Check out this thread, and maybe PM Joe.