User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
xtremewlr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Little get off this morning

Managed to chuck the bike down the road this morning on the way onto work.

Completely my fault. Stupid mistake, I was running on autopilot basically. Just got off the freeway and there is a railroad crossing I have to go over that is very rough. I was watching the road/rails, doing 15 to 20mph and looked up at the last second to see a couple fire trucks waiting to turn in front of me, lights going (but no sirens now that I think back on it) and that the intersection lights weren't working. Grabbed front brake instead of squeezing and must have done it right as the front tire went over a bump because it locked up right away and tucked to the left, dumping the bike and me along with it, sliding into the intersection. I sat there for a second and then waved to the firetrucks to indicate I was fine. Picked the bike up and pushed it out of the intersection to asses the damage. I got real lucky that the intersection was empty at the time it happened and me nor the bike got hit by anything.

I'm fine other than some scuffed up gear, a raspberry on my left knee and a slightly sore right shoulder.

Bike is still rideable, in fact I rode it into work still. scuffed up left mirror, scuffed up the left edge of the front fairing pretty good but nothing actually broke. Clutch lever has some rash and the left bar end does too. Tiny little dent in the gas tank from the left switch housing. That pisses me off the most because that is the first bike I've had with a perfect tank until now. Left foot peg is trashed and just flops down useless and the shifter peg broke off. I was still able to put my foot on the edge of the stock rearset footpeg mount and the shift lever isn't bent so I was able to shift still. Slight rash on the left radiator guard and the kickstand. And the frame slider and swingarm spool did their jobs and prevented any other major damage. The tail section wasn't even touched.

A bit pissed at myself as this is my first real crash on the street since I started riding about 10 years ago. I've crashed on the race track before but that doesn't count and had a few drops but no real crashes on the street until today.

Dented the tank:

Rashed up the clutch lever and bar end:

Rashed up the fairing and broke the turn signal:

And the mirror:

And the Radiator guard:

Broke the foot peg and shifter peg:

Bent and rashed the swingarm spool:

Scuffed the paint on the belly pan:

And the Frame slider bent and got chewed up doing it's job:
xtremewlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Bad way to start the day. Glad you're ok........the bike can be fixed.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Vapor_Trails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Ugh! All those little things can add up to a tidy sum. But, like AST said glad you're ok.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
xtremewlr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Thanks guys. The parts do add up but not too much hopefully. My daughter works at Cycle Gear so I can get some of it at a discount. The foot peg, shifter and rearset are the most expensive parts, $167 for new OEM parts. Looking on ebay but haven't found anything yet. I'll have to pull the Woodcraft rearsets off my track bike to use until I get proper replacements.

My gear is in good enough shape still too. Rev'It Sand 2 touring/ADV style jacket, just some rash on the right elbow. Dianese gloves, have some broken stitching on the palm but it didn't wear thru, Dianese boots which are fine and then the only non-moto gear are my pants which are Duluth Trading FireHose stretch pants. One small hole in the left knee and where I got the raspberry. My Kriega R25 backpack help up nicely as well with very minor rash.
xtremewlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Glad the ego is hurt but you are ok!!! Bike has personality now!! But I am sorry about the dented tank.

It could happen to anyone--just a matter of several factors going wrong at once.

Again, glad you are uninjured.

Ride safe brother!
2011 Triumph Speed Triple -- Black
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
Scubadvr
Beer Snob

Oddometer: 42
Welcome to the club! Glad you're OK.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
Litemup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Sorry to hear but glad your not hurt.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
sharkmotorcycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Very Unfortunate, sometimes things doesn't go by your way. Glad to know that you are fine.
Though bike received little bit of bruises, but I am sure that can be fixed without much of a worry.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #9
OnTheWay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
I could understand how sad when you found pieces of damages on your bike.

My new car, brought two months ago got accident, serious damaged, I told to myself everyday, forget car, I should feel lucky I am still alive...
Old 06-12-2015, 03:19 AM   #10
JettPilot
Banned

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheWay View Post
I could understand how sad when you found pieces of damages on your bike.

My new car, brought two months ago got accident, serious damaged, I told to myself everyday, forget car, I should feel lucky I am still alive...
No, do not forget the car, it is important !!! That sucks !!! The best thing is no accident , be alive, and perfect new car

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:25 AM   #11
JettPilot
Banned

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremewlr View Post

Completely my fault. Stupid mistake, I was running on autopilot basically. Just got off the freeway and there is a railroad crossing I have to go over that is very rough.
This is exactly why I always recommend ABS. We are all human, and make mistakes. When you need to stop fast, you will not have the chance to study the surface you are on closely, make practice runs, or even be expecting it. Do not beat yourserlf up over this, this is one of those things that could happen to any of us. No rider can operate at perfection , ESPECIALLY WHEN SUPRISED and not expecting it.

The ABS is never surprised, is always perfect, and is as much a piece of safety equipment as your helmet, headlight, etc. Make sure you get it on your next bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #12
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,632
glad to see you are OK and the bike damage was pretty minimal.

i dumped my DRZ on my way into work once, too. also because of my own stupidity.

worst part was trying to sneak into work without anyone seeing the scuffs on my gear so i didn't have to answer any questions about it and admit to having crashed on the way in.