User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
kicker13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Eek Who here has hit a deer?

This past November I was riding my GS Adventure to Indianapolis from Coon Rapids IA. I started having some problems with one of my plug wires and was delayed for a couple hours. Right at dusk is Champaign IL I hit a deer at 78mph!!! I didn't even see the damn thing. Sliding eighty yards down Interstate 74 with no control over my body I thought I was going to be really fucked up. The ambulance picked me up 30 minutes later and I was rushed to the ER. My adreneline was pumping and I was a "hurtin unit". The doctor took one x-ray and told me I was the luckiest S.O.B he's ever seen. Two hours later my girlfriend picked me up from the hospital. Luckily I was wearing a full face helmet and kilimanjaro riding gear. I had no broken bones just a few bumps and bruises. This was the first time that I had ever worn a helmet. I use to ride a Harley, no helmet, maybe chaps and a leather coat. Becoming a BMW rider was the best decision of my life and I would not be alive today if I would have been on my Harley.
kicker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548

West Viriginia back road in hurricane Ivan. Deer, fence and ditch. Pulled it out with a truck. Limped to Canaan, WV patched it up the next day and rode some more.

Not a scratch. Wearing BMW Savannah II suit and helmet.

Gear works.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,753
You guys are really making the K-Note hemmorhage for my Rallye 2 Suit hurt a bit less.
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
They are spendy, but I have crashed in my Savannah II (the same suit 3 times) never a scratch on me.

It is currently being rebuilt (had some wear and tear for some reason) and all velcro, snaps and zippers being replaced. The last wreck when I totaled my 3 week old KTM 950 did some damage to it. But I did not have a scratch.

Well, other than the torn ACL that is.

Big bucks, but I am worth it.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:27 AM   #5
Frogwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Around 1987 or so I was belting along a back road at night on my Yamaha XS, went round a corner to be presented with maybe around 20 or so Red Deer loitering about on the road.

Luck was on my side that day as I managed to squeeze through the pack with nothing more than a few knocks, bumps and scrapes.

That was back in the day when I thought protective gear was for women and men with blow dried moustaches.

I had no right to be so lucky.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:21 AM   #6
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444

Old 02-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper

Dood, you might want to take up a different hobby!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 948
Deer killa here/ West Virginia, 11AM, at about 50-60MPH. He darted out and ran into me. FF helmet, Alpinestars gloves, Cycloak coat and jeans. Only thing messed up was road rash on my knees and a broken clutch hand. Lucky guy here, but I have Cortech pants now.
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:18 AM   #9
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Dood, you might want to take up a different hobby!
Funny you should mention that.... work'n on it now.... "Cowcatcher" included

Old 02-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,303

KTM 1, Deer 0.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:38 AM   #11
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10

KTM 1, Deer 0.
Me too.....

KTM 1, Deer 0.

Luckily, it was a small doe. Hit her on the hind end and sent her spinning off. The two guys behind me bumped shoulders as they avoided the deer and ... each other.

The deer-sized dog that I hit in ... 1975 ... was a different story. Over the handlebars, took up about 60-yards of dirt road as I "ground" to a halt from 65 mph. Kawasaki dirtbike...125-cc's.

Rode that sucker home, couldn't get off when I got there - too stiff. Did the old Laugh-In dismount if you know what I mean. (Fell over!) Ended up in the ER, nothing broken, a little road rash, missed two basketball games and during the first game that I returned, took a bump or two and then dripped blood all over the hometeam's nice, new, wood court. Man, were they pissed off at me.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:42 AM   #12
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Me too.....

KTM 1, Deer 0.

Luckily, it was a small doe. Hit her on the hind end and sent her spinning off. The two guys behind me bumped shoulders as they avoided the deer and ... each other.

The deer-sized dog that I hit in ... 1975 ... was a different story. Over the handlebars, took up about 60-yards of dirt road as I "ground" to a halt from 65 mph. Kawasaki dirtbike...125-cc's.

Rode that sucker home, couldn't get off when I got there - too stiff. Did the old Laugh-In dismount if you know what I mean. (Fell over!) Ended up in the ER, nothing broken, a little road rash, missed two basketball games and during the first game that I returned, took a bump or two and then dripped blood all over the hometeam's nice, new, wood court. Man, were they pissed off at me.

Doe for me as well. Clipped it in the head with the gas tank, spun it away from me. Nice to be lucky.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:02 AM   #13
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Doe for me as well. Clipped it in the head with the gas tank, spun it away from me. Nice to be lucky.
There are times when I'd rather be lucky than good.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
hiflynbrd
I know that shortcut

Oddometer: 90
Deer strike

On the way to work one morning. A doe came out of a wash on a dead run, trying to catch up with the rest of the herd that had passed before I was within sight. Layed down about 3' of skidmark before impact.

I awoke on my back in some ladies yard. Shortly my boss appeared over me, telling me not to move. He was not too far behind.

Full leathers and Shoei RF200 saved my life. Helmet was totally trashed. Leather jacket has several scuffs and one small hole. Chaps perforated in a few places. Curiously, I peeled skin off of both knees from the impact but my jeans under the chaps had no holes in them. Glad I was unconscious when that happened. Oh yeah, four broken ribs too.

Family was out of town so I had to call a riding buddy to give me a lift home from the ER. Had him take me to the salvage yard to get the bike, XS650, and decided to ride it home. What the hell, I had plenty of painkiller on board.

Home alone I woke up about 4 hrs. later and needing to take a leak. Ever try to get out of bed by yourself with 4 broken ribs and the painkiller worn off? Avoid the experience if possible.

Since then I have dodged several more bambis but there's probably another one out there somewhere.
04 Ducati 999S, 12 Versys, 08 Can-Am Spyder-SOLD, thank God, , 93 ST1100ABS 132K, 99 ST1100ABS project cafe racer, 93 KLR650, 04 XR650R street legal, 04 CRF500R street legal, 98 KTM 620 Supermoto street legal-SOLD at the suggestion of Honolulu PD, 04 DRZ400S, 82 Turbo Seca (x2), -placed in a good home, 04, ~78 Yambulzukisaki hybrid, and oh so many others
hiflynbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #15
Tegan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Only in our minivan...and the thing was already dead laying in the middle of my lane. Car next to me, concreate wall on the other side, no choice but to hit it. A good quarter of the thing got stuck up under the van and we had to pull it off at a rest stop just down the road....you sould have seen the look on the faces of the people stopped there....priceless. Just a matter of time till I hit one on the bike I fear...have had too many close calls in the TRUCK on the way to work...and the truck is a heck of a lot bigger and scarrier then the bike is.
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote