User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Infidel707 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
First minor on road crash, but I have a question

So yeah hit some oil while braking for a stop sign and went down at 15-20 mph. I guess the front locked up and back slid around for a low side. Hip hit first then shoulder and finally a couple smacks on the head that made me black out for 5 secs. Got up moved the bike off the road, checked over everything to make sure everything moved as it should have, and then rode to a parking lot.

My head was throbbing hard, no blurred vision or memory problems, but definitely hurt so I called my fiance to take me to the ER to be on the safe side. So they do their tests and my head is fine, my hip is questionable they were suggesting a ct on the hip but I can walk and it only hurts if I touch it (no bruising even today though, weirdly). Was wearing a helmet, jacket/pants with full d30 armor, and my Forma adventure boots. Today is the day after and I basically only feel like I have a flu coming on with body aches, aside from pain if my hip is pressed on.

So the question I have is whether you can withhold information to a doctor in such a situation where you self register at the ER? The reason being is they say they have to file a claim with my motorcycle insurance before the health insurance will pay out. The bike is fine aside from the shifter and I had no inclination of telling them of the incident. Now I'm worried my rates will jump even though they didn't have to pay anything to the incident and no tickets were involved.

Can you enter and say you fell down at a rate of speed wearing a helmet, and if they ask if you were on a motorcycle say it was a bicycle or just refuse information? Or does this give the health insurance company a reason to deny any payments?
Infidel707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Dirt bikes ridden off-road on private property aren't covered by motor vehicle insurance.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
kennythetiger
Kennythetiger

Oddometer: 53
Let the doctor know what happened

If you withhold information from the doctor, they may miss something. The.
y won 't know what to look for and it could cause you problems down the road
kennythetiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,777
I dropped my bike while I had State Farm and I wasn't going to file a claim for the same reason. But I got along well with my agent and told her about my fears. She *encouraged* me to file my claim and promised that my rates wouldn't change. She was right - nothing changed, even though it was a couple of thousand dollars worth of damage.

I don't know about your company, but it might not be as bad as you fear.

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Dave W.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
What good is insurance if you are afraid to use it?
Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
I'd need some input as to which insurance policy you wish to file against.
But as a disclaimer, I'm can be considered an insurance curmudgeon. I tend to self-insure for as much as possible.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Infidel707 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
There is no insurance to file that's the problem at hand. I have geico and it specifically states they won't cover any health problems resulting from a personal injury (even if its me running into another car) it is plainly for damages to the bike. The shifter was the only thing that took damage and its a 16 dollar part, no way would I submit a claim for that when I have a $500 deductible. My body acted as a bumper for the bike!

What I'm referring to is the fact that the hospital will try to submit a claim against my motorcycle insurance even though I specified they have no claim in the matter of my injury. I'm worried about the incident going on a record which may or may not increase my rates in the future. Perhaps I get to a point where I need to submit a claim in the future, this instance may knock a bean over for the bean counter's risk factor.

I guess the best answer so far is to say I fell on private property on a dirt bike as foxtrapper says. The administration plainly said if I didn't give them my motorcycle insurance, the health insurance doesn't have to pay a dime and they would come for me.
Infidel707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,768
Got some advice since I do have post concussion syndrome . 9 Year on I can alwasy say not tonight dear I have a headache . You may indeed have a concussion so take it easy. Do some read up on them. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20019272 Just working through it etc isn't good for them and can lead to other issues. The issue with your first vist to er is did they automatically active a trauma team ? That ads 3/4 more to bills. More then a few er do this no matter what .
Hope you get better fast
Old 12-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
I had a similar issue after a crash at Sandblast Rally. The hospital kept calling me and bugging me wanting my moto issurance. But I was on a closed race course, not on the street....my health insurance "paid" the bill. But they sure did bug the shit out of me for weeks over that question. I ended up with a concussion.... Insurance is a racket.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel707 View Post
The administration plainly said if I didn't give them my motorcycle insurance, the health insurance doesn't have to pay a dime and they would come for me.
They want it to be motor vehicle insurance because that pays them quickly and generally at a higher dollar rate.

Talk is cheap, ask that administrator to put that threat in writing.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote