Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #241
GHanson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Thanks for sharing your story. It's all too easy to forget that where there's life, there's hope. Good luck!

hansong
GHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #242
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
from 1 brother to another//prayers sent..god heal that up...its all i can do..god speed
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #243
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
You're in my thoughts Brother, wishing the best for you and your family.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 96k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #244
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 888
Praying for you Diesel.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #245
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Man, I have no idea how to even respond, other than to say that I hope things turn out as well as possible. You have an incredible attitude, that makes all the difference in the world!

Best,

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #246
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Sending you best wishes from Oz.

You sound like a strong soul with a positive attitude and a remarkable ability to accept change, love your work.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue) - AUG 14
2015 R1200 GSW White - NOV 14
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #247
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
Assuming facts not in evidence can definitely lead a person to a flawed conclusion. The fact that a speeding violation was noted within a school zone and the fact that an officer on a motorcycle proceeded to give chase does NOT equate to the ability to conclude that any subsequent crash occurred within that same school zone.

The posted speed limit in the area where the accident occurred is 55mph and is approximately 1/3 mile west of where the school zone ended. All vehicles upon the US Highway have right of way over any vehicles sitting on an intersecting city street at a stop sign and awaiting their opportunity to make a left turn or right turn onto the US Highway. A police motorcycle traveling the speed limit and running code 3 (lights and siren) on the US Highway would have even more reason to expect the right of way to be respected.

I would say that I had three choices, once the driver opted to violate the law and proceed onto the highway in front of me:
1. Take an out to the left. Not possible in this case due to oncoming traffic which would have resulted in certain death.
2. Continue in the lane and either t-bone or rear-end the vehicle. Not a good choice as it doesn't show due regard for the safety of that driver and would likely result in my death.
3. Take an out to the right. In this case, the right means an East Texas drainage ditch. This option made the most sense in the split second I had to make a decision. It meant that no one but myself would possibly be injured. THAT's due regard in my book.

Having been an attorney for 21 years, a full-time cop for 15 years, and an EMT for 12 years, I made the best decision I could--essentially, taking the least worst bite of a shit sandwich.

What I can say is that I thank all things holy for Medics who step in and handle the trauma on the street, in the back of the bus, or in the air, and keep all of us safer out there . . . even if they make unfounded assumptions about how we arrived at our current state of disrepair. Cheers.
Damn, guts AND class. A tip o' the hat to you, sir.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #248
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Damn

Diesel, hope it turns out well for you, till recently haven't spent much time on face plant, that is until my gal got whacked by a failure to yield MFer. Your determination in the face of adversity is inspiring. Lets hope you get back on the road again in the not to distant future.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #249
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Your attitude rocks! Keep the positive thoughts rolling.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #250
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Saw two of my orthopedic surgeons yesterday and this afternoon. They each took x-rays and each--independently--came to the same conclusion . . . that my femur appears to be healed. After three debridement surgeries in August, and then eight weeks of IV antibiotics, and another thirty days of oral antibiotics, it appears that maybe, just maybe they have gotten the upper hand on the bone infection. If so, that makes me a happy guy. Here are two x-rays taken today--the first is from the front, and the second is from the medial view

So far, there have been no further drainages from the thigh and I've been off all antibiotics since last Friday. [fingers crossed] The surgeon has ordered me to begin walking in chest-deep water for physical therapy for several weeks and then to begin walking on land. That's going to be interesting, to say the least. If all goes well and the PT continues the healing and the thigh does spew any more fluids, then in the not-too-distant future, I'll be looking at surgery to begin the process of lengthening my leg.

Thanks to all for the encouragement along the way!

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #251
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Great news!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #252
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Great news!

Great news on the femur! I think about your recovery often Diesel. I come to this thread to keep myself on my toes, and not get distracted. You have an amazing constitution, and a heart of gold. Best holiday wishes, and keep going strong.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #253
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
That's great news! Those X-rays of the healed leg really bring home just how badly hurt you were. Fingers crossed that you have the infections beaten and can really start to make progress on your rehab!
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #254
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Congratz!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #255
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
I know it can be 2 steps forward and 1 step back sometimes but it really seems like you are turning the corner on this.

Good luck with your therapy. I hope the worst is behind you.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote