Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #286
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Sweet! That's starting to be real distance!
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #287
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,439
Thumb

So glad to hear this. Dude, you are one tough hombre, and looking like a million bucks.

Congratulations!
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #288
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Fantastic news!

Great to hear man. You are one tough SOB.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #289
snurdle
The name is, Bond.....

Oddometer: 2,414
I just read this whole thread and at one point thought the next post would be "leg removed" .

I'm so pleased to read that the darkest days are behind you.

I am left wondering, throughout all this does the person who caused the accident know of the pain and suffering it has caused? Did they ever contact you in hospital? Make an apology in court?

And on the financial side does their insurance (if only at state minimums) get swallowed in the morass of medical expenses or does some payment directly to you get priority for pain and suffering?
snurdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #290
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
There's still a pretty strong risk of my having to have an above-the-knee amputation. If the infection recurs, if the leg breaks, or if the knee is incapable of regaining any range of motion (or only passive range of motion), then the amputation will happen. There's a lot left to this story and the walking I'm doing now is merely to find whether the femur is truly healed and allows for the next surgical phase.

I have never met the person who caused the crash, nor would I really want to. I don't mean that in a harsh way, just that I don't dwell on him and such. I focus on "eating the elephant one bite at a time."

On the financial side, all my medical needs are covered by worker's comp, and they've been very good to me. The man's insurance (and it was the minimum) was paid out by his insurance company and signed over directly to worker's comp. I will never see a dime of it. But my wife and I have been very fortunate and had signed up for a very good private Long-Term Disability Policy back when I was practicing law for a living. That policy has been a godsend for us. Also, thankfully, my wife is the primary wage-earner in our family, so the impact has been lessened a good bit.

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #291
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Good attitude to have, I know who caused my injury and he is still my friend. When he came to see me in the hospital, he was all torn up, but by the time he left we were all joking around and I told him it was an accident, let it go. Little did I know that in the end, it cost my carreer, he is still my friend, I hold no ill will towards him, because it was an accident. Things happen in life that change our direction, this was one of them. At one time, I did consider amputation, I had a great dr, and it didn't happen. But if it did, it still wouldn't have changed my attitude. Keep rolling diesel.
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #292
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
Went 750 feet today. Stood up three times (with one abortive attempt that nearly saw me go to ground). Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3dy3TL24Hk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLdRrrpg6nk
Hell yes! I wasn't banged up remotely as badly as you, but I remember the painful exhilaration of the first steps I took. One bite at a time, indeed.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #293
baldman1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Just found this thread, wow tough luck. I too am LEO 24 years now and hope you heal up with no ill effects.
I broke my right femur in half on a dirtbike back in 2005. Numerous surgeries and the re-hab was the most painful experience in my life. I almost passed out several times during re-hab due to the pain. The Doctor told me I would probably not walk again without a cane or assistance. I refused to let that happen and through a LOT of hard work and persistance, I am 100% with no side effects and run 3 miles a day to keep in shape. It is just a lot of hard and painful work to get there. I feel for you stay focused.
baldman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #294
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

PT has, for the most part, been going along smoothly. Last wednesday, in the process of walking five laps of the PT area (a total of about 1,500 feet), I felt a sort of "pop" or "crunch" in my right knee. Keep in mind that the right knee hasn't bent in over two years and there is significant calcification by this point. Anyway, I wound up pulling a muscle and it sidelined me. In fact, the process of walking has become nearly impossible for me, as it feels incredibly unstable and when I do walk, I'm using practically all arms to bear the load that my right leg is supposed to carry. Not good. Anyway, due to this development, the head PT read through the notes and asked me to go visit my surgeon to discuss the issue.

This morning, I met with the surgeon and with new x-rays in-hand, he stated that the femur (crooked and hellaciously misshapen as it is) has gained a lot more bone density and is fully healed. We opened the further discussion with where we go from here. Well, where we go is back into surgery on March 11th, at which time he'll put me upon a special table, cut down to the femur, notch it, drill several holes, and then use a special hammer to break the leg again--just above where the old fracture site is--above all the new bone that has been deposited. Then he'll rotate the lower part of my leg to bring the patella to the front once more, and then align the leg to bring the lower portion forward. Then the Ilisarov external fixator ring assembly will be installed. For the following five months or more, I'll have to adjust five or six pieces of hardware every six hours--turning those nuts 1/4 turn. A 1/4 turn equates to forcing the two rings apart a 1/4mm, so a total of 1mm per day of increased separation. All the while, dealing with the pins and rods through my knee and screwed into my femur above and below the new break site.

After five months or so, the hope is that my femur and leg will have regained the proper length again. Then the fun will begin--seeing if my knee is total garbage or if I can actually use it. And, all of this presumes that the upcoming surgery does not reactivate a bone infection in my femur, if it still lurks there. We have no way of knowing whether we totally eradicated it a few months ago. [fingers crossed]

Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #295
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
That sounds tough, but it also sounds very promising. You can do it. It won't feel good, but you can get it back into shape.
Hang in there!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #296
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,158
You got this!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #297
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
You got this!
Yeah! I'm w/ Yeti!
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #298
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 307
Diesel, you have my prayers. In my past is a stint as a Trauma Orthopaedic Nurse at Vanderbilt University Hospital. I am familiar with what you are going to be going through. It takes grit, you have already shown that you have grit so just take this as another step toward recovery.

If you need to talk, just drop me a PM and I will give you my cell number.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #299
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Best wishes bro.
I hope you're using your free time to prepare for Career #2. At least as a "just in case".
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #300
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My wife and I just got the word to report to the hospital at 0630hrs tomorrow morning for surgery. The procedure should last from three to four hours. This will be at Texas Orthopedic Hospital. Ever onward!