Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #121
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
This thread is NOT about theories of traffic stops nor city/county/state revenue, nor ticket quotas, nor why one country's PDs seem to do things this way or that. This thread is about how no matter who you are on two wheels, you are vulnerable and must expect the unexpected. Too much time has been wasted in this thread already about stuff that has very little to do with standing back up on two legs and getting back into life and riding, if that is possible. That's what I'm in for.

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #122
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
This thread is NOT about theories of traffic stops nor city/county/state revenue, nor ticket quotas, nor why one country's PDs seem to do things this way or that. This thread is about how no matter who you are on two wheels, you are vulnerable and must expect the unexpected. Too much time has been wasted in this thread already about stuff that has very little to do with standing back up on two legs and getting back into life and riding, if that is possible. That's what I'm in for.
Glad to hear you are making progress with your recovery- sounds like you still have a very long road ahead of you. And yes, on 2 wheels we are all vulnerable- I have almost been taken out twice this summer by 2 dumbasses turning in front of me AFTER I had made eye contact with them (with my Hi Viz helmet and jacket no less) and my husband almost got taken out by a deer.
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #123
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Diesel,
I'm so sorry to read about your injuries. I recently had a bimalleolar ankle fracture from a motorcycle accident (11/12) and 4 months later had a compound clavicular fracture and 5 broken ribs from a bicycle accident (3/14). In both instances my initial thought was I would never regain normal use of my ankle and shoulder; however, with surgery, a lot of physical therapy and time things are working out pretty well--all things considered. Your injuries are certainly worse than mine, but I believe you will be impressed with the ability of the human body to eventually heal.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #124
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Exactly !

Traffic cops sometimes park in a very conspicuous position and the result is that traffic slows
down as soon as the cop became visible to the drivers. And traffic remains at the slower speed
as long as the cop is there. We've all seen this, and it is by far the most effective way to keep
the speed of all traffic in an area at or even below the posted limit.

But while that might keep motorists from speeding it won't generate revenue like speeding tickets do.
So you know what the cop is going to do. That's right, he is going to hide so he can then zip out of his hiding spot
and nail you with a ticket. And then when he comes out of his hiding spot, surprise surprise, maybe other motorists might not
immediately grasp that he is on the road since he suddenly appeared out of nowhere. This doesn't do much to increase road safety,
not compared to just sitting out in the open so everyone slows down. But it does generate an amazing amount of cash over an eight hour
shift ( do the math ). It calls into question what is really going on though, doesn't it. I mean, a cop sitting in plain sight makes
everyone slow down and straighten up and fly right, but a cop giving speeding tickets only slows a few people down.
So you can choose from A or B, below.

A = Cop parked in a highly visible spot thereby increases motorist compliance with traffic laws
B = Cop makes lots of money giving a few people tickets while most of the rest of them continue speeding.

Now which serves public safety better ? B, of course. It might also be safer for everyone, the cop
included, because he can probably just sit there and talk on his cell phone and drink coffee and
not need to chase anyone. Except for the shortfall in revenue from fewer speeding tickets, it looks like a win-win to
me for sure.
Until everybody figures out no more tickets! Then what do you think happens?
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #125
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:

Get well soon brother. Thank you for your service
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #126
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,486
Quote:
I do PT three times a week, both on land and in the pool. I'm up to walking with the walker for about 300 feet. Still lots of surgeries ahead . . .

Life goes on and we do the best we can. To do any less would be to dishonor that fact that we survived. I say "we" because I'm talking about all those who've been busted up and had to dust off, heal, wait, and come back.

Keep up the hard work, man. It's paying off.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #127
seanfenick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I'm sorry to hear that you had such terrible injuries. I know that the rehab process will be long hard. I hate that you will have to go through that. I understand the statement that you were implying with tis post even without you having to spell it out to those who would rather find fault. I also understand the point that in order to learn to be a better rider that some reconstruction has to be done, but usually what happens to something like that is that fingers start getting pointed.
Unfortunately this post was hijacked long ago in order to bash LEO for some reason. I am a public servant although a federal firefighter. I have served in local municipalities, & my dad for most of my life was a LEO. Please people understand that each state, county, and local jurisdiction has their own specific laws that are up to public servants to serve out. In NC the local jurisdiction doesn't see monies that are posted for speeding violations. The speed limit is enforced because people elect to break that law. That is along the same lines as saying because alot of people rob banks don't do anything to them. It is not up to the LEO to only enforce certain laws, but all.
Another subject each state has its own use of emergency equipment laws and their own right I way laws. In NC they put the worse possible thing in laws for the emergency vehicle driver. The speed is not capped by the state, but sate law says "reasonable and prudent". They also don't state that emergency vehicles has to t stop or slow down at stop lights/ signs. That says "reasonable an prudent" also. In north Carolina laws states that red lights and sirens don't demand right of way but little more than stronger than ask for it. Blue lights and sirens demand right of way. But that doesnt help because the populace is ignorant of the laws, an thanks to the vehicle manufacturers vehicles are being made with more sound deadening equipment with crappy blind spots that demand that they have special blind spot monitoring equipment. So instead of fixing the problem they pawned it off.
I will get off of my soap box. Diesel I hope you have a speedy recovery. I pray you won't have any more pain, and I hope that you will be able to return to a job that you love. Thanks for your service
Sean Fenick
Fellow public lackey!!!!
seanfenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #128
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Hang in there buddy.

I too am on the sidelines, foot elevated, trimalleolar, talas, fibula, tibia all shattered with ridiculous soft tissue damage.

I too just started walking in the pool last Friday (as a result, my foot is so sore, I didn't sleep a wink last night). I am trying to not take Advil / aspirin (inhibits bone growth) and I stopped taking the Percocet because I have this very addictive personality thing. So, this crash is physical, mental, thus emotionally challenging.

All these armchair QBs who are superior masters of the two wheeled arts, good for you and your omnipotent skills. You apparently deserve every priviledge of critiquing, judging and being extremely opinionated.

Be safe, eyes forward, stay alert/stay alive, keep your head on a swivel, the life you save my be your own. (these are all quotes I learned while in he Army! )

Thank you for your service
Thanks for the kind words, and I can feel your pain from right here. The pool therapy time makes me feel human again--yeah, there's pain, but the water seems to buoy the spirit and the body in ways difficult to describe.

As to the pain meds . . . I am prescribed Norco but I opted to take none any more as of last Saturday--cold turkey--so my last week has been sorta like an addict coming down off the junk (nausea, runny nose, fidgety & sleepless, and then even more runny nose). Now, a week later, I'm much better off and just taking Tylenol for pain. Yep, ibuprofen and any NSAIDS are verboten because they shut down bone growth/healing. Life goes on . . . and we put on our big girl panties and deal.

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #129
BADDAD
" Bitter Clinger "

Oddometer: 316
I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see pics of you back in the saddle soon.

PLAN B SUCKS

When you don't know what you are doing you might as well do it quickly
BADDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #130
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Continued best wishes.

Quote:
so my last week has been sorta like an addict coming down off the junk (nausea, runny nose, fidgety & sleepless, and then even more runny nose
If your beat buddies start patting you down looking for your kit, just slap them in the nuts.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #131
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Wednesday, last week, was the first day I've walked using both legs in over seven and a half months. Using an orthotic shoe with a three-inch thick sole, I walked about 30 feet at the parallel bars, including turning around and some walking backwards. A lot of pain and work and tears went into even getting that far, but that's how far I am for now. Other than that, I'm still stuck in a wheelchair or bed. Life goes on . . .
Yay! Progress!!
I broke my leg last December, but that was only ONE leg and I can't imagine having both broken. It was pretty exciting when I was able to walk on my two legs without any aids. You WILL get there....keep up on the PT. It does get better. Best wishes on your continued recovery.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #132
Cruisin'Carolina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, and I can feel your pain from right here. The pool therapy time makes me feel human again--yeah, there's pain, but the water seems to buoy the spirit and the body in ways difficult to describe.

As to the pain meds . . . I am prescribed Norco but I opted to take none any more as of last Saturday--cold turkey--so my last week has been sorta like an addict coming down off the junk (nausea, runny nose, fidgety & sleepless, and then even more runny nose). Now, a week later, I'm much better off and just taking Tylenol for pain. Yep, ibuprofen and any NSAIDS are verboten because they shut down bone growth/healing. Life goes on . . . and we put on our big girl panties and deal.
Hang in there, old buddy
Cruisin'Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #133
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Hang in there and push yourself with that PT.
I know that salty/calcium talc taste of gritty concrete in the mouth...followed by blood and I had a full face helmet on. It sucks.
Think of the progress you have made from that day and keep at it.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #134
jbdesigns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:

Wow, I just read this thread and I wish you the best in your recovery. Very sorry that your "best" choice still ended up with terrible injuries.

I have broken my back in a 4-wheeler accident (my fault) but the meds they were giving me made me so sick and nauseous. I too quit them cold turkey and felt like what I would think an addict would feel coming off of drugs. I was throwing up and just miserable for about a day. then from then on, I took only advill.

god speed your recovery.
JB
Old 08-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #135
Queenie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Hey there Diesel!

Glad to hear you are making progress and still truckin' along at your rehab. It'll be a long road to travel and I can only imagine what obstacles you'll have to overcome mentally but hang in there!
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote