User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
kamanya OP
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,257
2012 Amageza Rally South Africa KTM 950

The 2012 Amageza Sutherland Rally in South Africa.

It was something that I wanted to do and was a selfish holiday of sorts to be totally absorbed in something for myself and forget about the real world for a while.

I was keen but wasn’t so sure that I’d make it. On the business front I was super busy. Added to that I had chosen to refresh my 950. (if you want some background… 2004 950 Refresh ) This was it beginning of Jan

I thought I’d be done by end of March but bad postage and business got me to the point of phoning Mrs Amageza - Marissa with 3 weeks to go and asking if anyone who wanted to go but couldn’t afford to would like my ticket. I wanted to donate it rather than sell it. In a final rush I got the thing almost finished along with a quick 60k jaunt to Macasser to see if anything fell off.

I still was waiting on the brake rotors when I ran out of time. I was going with the old ones on.

The bike was loaded and just as I was putting the final touches on the tie downs, the postman arrived with.

So off the trailer, change rotors and back on with the new ones. Cruiser packed, I just needed some padkos and some odds and ends and I could be on my way.

69k before Maitjiesfontein turn off, happy as Larry! The weather wasn’t. It wasn’t long and it was bucketing down. I knew some would be riding up, glad I didn’t have to do that.

An old memorial to some British general killed in the Boer war caught my eye

It was a quiet place, good for reflective stuff.

Once in Sutherland, a massive cloudburst with lightning and hail – you can see on the bonnet.

It soon cleared and with no one to talk to, I headed out of town to find out how the rivers were doing;

I dislike mud and don’t have a taste for riding in it. Being a semi desert area, I hoped that the route would dry out by the time I had to ride it.

It was here, I found Rickus and Chris coming from the Frazerberg side with stories of flooded rivers and detours. Ha! I had found someone that I could at least talk and drink with. It was not long that I was in the Jupiter Room – a really nice place run by Theo. The inevitables pitched not long after that and a good night was had. At least I had qualified earlier a few months earlier and didn’t have to ride the Friday qualifier so Friday for me would be a lazy one.

Mother and Daughter or were they married?

Theo the owner, it’s him that’s blurred not the camera

I slept in the hostel for the first night – there was a 10pm curfew. I made it in 15 minutes late. It brought back many smiles wandering through the place. I spent my high school in one. Once safely in the hostel a great evening was polished off by a good bottle of red with Wolfmother and Kreef.

I had barely opened my eyes when Johan (Wolfmother) came in, fully dressed to do the qualifier, asking if I knew how to hotwire a 650 X Challenge? Between Lainsberg and Sutherland boys hostel, he’d lost his key. “Of course! I have internet, a hangover, a fertile imagination and have never owned a BM, shouldn’t be too difficult”.

Johan is one of those individuals who when should be and is fully justified in being in a state of huge panic, only looks and sounds mildly challenged. It wasn’t long before we had that BM purring. I had managed to call Alex to tell him of the state of affairs, he said he’d be right over. Johan was given a lightening briefing from Alex. He hadn’t been able to get his GPS to the checkin table and didn’t have the tracks loaded. The instructions were, “go to the end of the town, turn left and follow the tracks.”

Johan made the qualifier, but there is more on his key saga later.

In the meantime I had to relocate to the main parking area

and register and get through scrutineering. Registering was easy. Scrutineering wasn’t. You had to pitch for a full kit inspection; Your weapon of choice had to be suitably marked and legal… ish, with all your riding gear on along with all the safety gear.

Camp Kommandant Alexander the Great.

If you can’t read Kalahari body language then I’ll translate, “Heirdie donerse ronfokkery met all jou klere en goed sonder om erens te ry is snert”, in English it doesn’t translate well, but I’ll try; “I could be drinking”

Mom’s obviously worried, shops at Woolworths and thought sonny would be hungry during the day?!

“Any health issues we should know of?”

“Um… No allergies but a broken neck, pericarditis, 2 broken arms and leg (but that was when I was in school)… oh yes and a vasectomy. Should that do?”

“Ok!”

Kalahari Zen techniques to impress the nurse…

Remember Johans key issue? Well he qualified but now had the problem of getting fuel into his tank. Nothing a KTM mechanic with a big screwdriver can’t fix though. Now all Johan needs to turn his bike on and fill with fuel is a screwdriver.

I wasn’t keen to camp on the rugby field so elected to sleep in the cruiser.

My neighbours and span bestuurder – Bob. None other than Legedema fame sporting a slightly modified leg that was in the process of healing. Weskus, or DeWalt, his nurse.

Once through all the admin and seeing as I was dressed up, I thought I would go for another little shakedown. Since the rebuild, I had the grand total of 60k’s on the clock and zero on the new brakes. Stupidly I hadn’t thought to bring the old rotors with me in case the new ones didn’t work. Fortunately everything seemed sharp and great. Except I was having hassles changing gear.

Fortunately it was just the gear selector bolt coming loose. That it all seemed to work was a great relief. It was also an opportunity to test the accuracy of my trip meters. I rode for 10k’s on gravel by the GPS. My trip meter said 10.1km apparently this was not too bad. The KTM can only set the wheel sizes to change the calibration. As the only options are 18, 19, 20 and 21 inch, the accuracy I had would have to do.

4pm was a mass ride for a photo. I felt good to be on the bike and not watching from the side. I was feeling great and keen.

Sadly the moment overtook one of us and in a highside brought on by a little too much wrist, (something that many of us so easily could have done) one collar bone was done for. His rally was over and he’d not even made the start.

Lot’s of photo’s and music

That’s my beanie and hat in there I swear!

Jeez these look like fun…

The meal and briefing was great. We aslo got given our road books. I’ve never used one so a lot of the symbols and info was a bit of a mystery. I went and sat next to Neil of Bluebull fame and learnt a few things that came in handy.

My palace for 3 nights. It was a fairly early evening. I was sure I had everything loaded and ready. It was plenty cold that night.

Tomorrow, Day 1 waited.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
kamanya OP
Andrew to most

4.30am the music of ACDC Thunder was started up. I had been up since 4, out of nervousness and needing to piss. I thought the townsfolk of Sutherland were good sports to have let us play that, that loud, at that time of the morning. I have to thank my BIL Jim or Bungycool, he’d given me a pair of riding gloves that they use for Scotland in winter. I was pretty toasty in them whilst getting ready.

I had heard the Keihin FCR carbs I’d put into the bike was very hard to start in the cold. I think the temperature was under 5 degrees but with little coaxing and a few throttle squirts it fired up. Once even slightly warm they burst into life no problem.

In the breakfast hall;

I too also had a bit of a panic trying find the start line. I wasn’t the only one, a few of us were riding around Sutherland – all 6 blocks of it – trying to find the start line. I could have thrown a rock from my Cruiser and hit it! I was ready as I’d ever be. I’d eaten, all my gear was done, the bike was purring. But, it’s amazing how just after all the showering and shitting that once all kitted up the urge to shit again is fairly pressing?

Coming to the start line I nearly pushed Neil over trying to get my beast turned around. All the faster guys were lining up to get into the front rows. Apart from last year’s winners who got to start first, it was first come first served for starting positions.

I was ready and felt good. There was going to be a liaison section in the dark to the one timed stage. I couldn’t see my roadbook but as we were all being let off in 30 second intervals I didn’t think I’d have a problem.

My plan for the day was to take it easy, look after the tires, start in the middle of the pack and sort out the roadbook skills and take it from there. I also had a concern for the gearing in the bike. If you’ve followed my refresh thread you’ll know about the Super Duke engine I have in it now. I had a 16/42 on and was worried that it was too high. There were some mean hills apparently (Alex had referred to the “cauldron of hell” in the briefing) and I was worried that my first gear would be too long.

The liaison section was only just long enough to let dawn make its mark.

Once at the start of the special we had about 10 minutes to sort stuff out before we were let off. I had forgotten to put my earplugs in and also wanted to take my thin windcheater off. I have a mountain bike one that works well under a ballistic jacket but can be too hot if the sweating starts.

It was a spectacular dawn. Got a few chats and photo’s in.

Rynett, only lady in the field and only 1200GS.

Pleco and her stayed together for the day…

All too soon, my Amageza proper was about to start. They were letting each guy go off in 20 second intervals. With a pair to go I realised I hadn’t done my helmet up. It was too late, I took my start, left the line and a few meters later pulled over to sort out the issue. My first ever race… er… rally and I make like a chop.

From here I don’t have any photo’s till the end but here’s a video of the stage. Click on it and let it load, whilst you read;

At first I was riding at about 40-50% being both very conservative and trying to work out how to just look at the roadbook, the GPS and the trip meters without crashing. I remembered Neil saying the order in a post somewhere, but had to work it out for myself. The route was made obvious since I was about 20-30 guys back and there was no real other options that what we were following, but I wanted to do it for myself. I found that my GPS’s odometer was very accurate with the road book and that the trip meters, despite me testing them earlier were also pretty bang on. This made for the simplest navigating; Just remember what the next total trip odo number and what kind of obstacle or turn it is and then keep an eye on either Trip 1 or the GPS odometer. It sounds simple but I kept forgetting what I was supposed to be looking for and what mileage it was at. Also I was trying to work Trip 2’s function – it keeps score of the distance between each marking. On the KTM the only way to reset trip 2 is to reach to the dash and push the reset button. This was a pain and dangerous so I just left it and for the rest of the rally worked on total distances.

As I was getting better at this reading whilst riding thing I started to catch guys ahead. The pace was up to 60%, still safe but less total bandwidth. I felt the first pangs of competitiveness but was having more fun with the navigation so let them come to me and just ride my pace.

The route to begin with was twisty, jeep track with lots of rocks and the odd mud puddle thrown in. It soon then started down a !! down which led us into a valley. It was here that I caught Johan (wolfmother) he let me past and then tagged on the back. It was great to ride with someone that I know and have ridden with quite a bit before. He can look after himself and our pace seemed similar.

Camera spots should be marked on the roadbook with a !!!. When camera people appear on the route, they are very dangerous. Either there is something to be careful of right where they are and they are looking for that carnage shot, or worse they cause one to show off. You can imagine doing the latter and not seeing the former. My first brush with them I did exactly that. I saw the guy with a long lens pointed at me. I jumped a small berm and only when I landed did I see the track made a 90 degree turn to the left. I was aimed right and he was in the middle. He gave up shooting and started to move pretty quickly when I tried slide the bike around to go left and was now in opposite lock sliding towards him. I thought he should have had more trust in my skills. But, holding your ground when a loud, 200kg KTM is sliding towards you with a fat 40 year old hanging on takes some guts. I am so sorry that I forgot to push the record button on the video, I would have liked to see his face again.

There was some fairly hectic river bed to deal with, (Sadly the whole river bed section didn’t get filmed, clearly my bandwidth capacity for including operating a camera was exceeded – hopefully others do) then the track went uphill into the mist. It was a bit surreal to be riding along when it suddenly parted and we were going down into another valley. This had a big !! and riverbed in the roadbook. Just after we came through, I saw that Johan had stopped. He’d got a puncture and what’s more, his jerry can had come off. He waved me on and said he’d ride the short way to the checkpoint where he’d change it. For some reason both of us thought that the special stage was only few k’s more, so and it made sense for him to ride at a slower pace to the checkpoint instead of wasting time.. Sadly we were both wrong

As I rode on, it became apparent that “a few k’s” was far off the mark. I rode another 10k’s before the end and this included a huge hill climb. I felt sorry for Johan.

Not far from where I left him though the track turned onto a slightly larger track. This had no warning signs in it so I opened up. Luckily I had my eyes peeled as there were huge trenches cut into the road from the rain. The first one I slowed down for just enough to get through it. I could see the smaller bikes had just jumped them. The second one was much more dangerous as there were multiple other trenches behind it. It looked like some guys had hit the first one and had to deal with nasty swaps with the following ones. Weskus had caught Johan and I when we stopped for his puncture some time back, I knew he can shunt along at pace so waited at the trench for him to appear then waved him slow.

The bigger bikes unless you are fully committed and lucky cannot really deal with stuff like this. The smaller bikes can more easily float over stuff that comes up unexpectedly. I found that I could stay with a faster rider on a smaller bike so long as I could see far enough ahead. As soon as the track turned or for me went blind, I had to open up the emergency response times and slow down. What makes my bike fairly dangerous is that its ability to accelerate far exceeds its ability to slow down maybe by a factor of 2.

From there we just had a really big hill to contend with where I got a cramp in my calf from a near fall and had to stretch it out, then fell a little later on a steep hairpin. I was pissed off as two smaller bikes got past. Yes it’s not a race they say. I was up pretty quick and caught them but passing would be tough as it was tight and they were moving along.

My moment of the day was when we got to a junction. They hesitated and went straight on. My roadbooks motor had a few k’s back packed in so I was trying to learn which way to turn the knob to advance the route and ride technical at the same time. I had up until then been following the roadbook but now was blind. More tracks went straight than went right. I stopped advanced the route to where I knew I had to be. I was sure right was the right way. Another guy stopped, then Weskus stopped behind us. My mind was made up and did a U-turn and took the right. 2k’s later was the end of the special stage where we all had to wait 20 minutes before we could continue with the liaison.

I think I came in about 12th or so and was the second litre class bike in. The other was a chap whose name I don’t know who was on a orange 950 with gold pipes.

What a ride! I really enjoyed it. The bike was brilliant, the route stunning, didn’t get hurt and had tons of fun.

Here’s the route – a bit more than 400 or so k’s;

From there was a long trek back to Sutherland via a refuel. I really enjoyed the liaison. It has some great scenery and great Karoo roads to cruise along on.

At the top of one pass I met some bikers not connected to the Rally, they took this snap.

I had done some low flying and got home 5th. The liaisons are not timed so it was just my pace that I wanted to travel at. I rode for most of the 200k’s on my own. A great bunch of selfish reflective holiday moments!

Nothing had broken or fallen off the bike. Something that amazed me, it’s a tough beast. My roadbook couldn’t say the same

It’s sort of a prototype so Nicklaus the maker is going to have to do some work.

Others had more issues than me,

The rest came back in their own time.

The source of my fascination. They had made a huge difference to the way the bike handled the slow stuff. They just didn’t let the bike stall. They can be ridden from very low revs and it just tractors on with lovely response and feeling. On the video you can often hear where they do this. Also they whistle when opened. It seems much louder on the video that when riding, but that’s because the mic pickup was at waist height. The bike has a lot more power than my old 950 but it is not scary or irritating to use in technical.

We’d heard that incredibly Rynette had made it through the special. She and Pleco made it in at dusk. A massive effort.

After a scrub we wandered off to a really good supper and briefing for tomorrow

Then after loading the roadbook it was time for some fireside racing

And bed

Day two waited.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,195
great thread.... more please!.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
kamanya OP
Andrew to most

Anyway, what I didn’t tell about yesterday was that as I had made it in at about 13:30 I think, I had a lot of time to just indulge myself. It was my holiday after all. So, as I was practicing a deep form of hedonism, to *complement my journey I opened a good bottle of red wine as soon as I arrived and was getting undressed. Partly, to celebrate and I can’t deny, because, hell, why not?!

Just before supper bottle No 2 was opened and off I went to the hostel. Whilst showing my videos on a data projector the media guys had brought along, the bottle decided it too needed liberation and fell out my jacket pocket onto the wooden hostel floor, loudly announcing its presence. A bit embarrassing as no one else seemed to be drinking. Oh well.

Anyway, whether or not this contributed to the following I don’t know, you be the judge.

Remember this picture?

Well, Bob the team manager and coach had deemed it necessary for me to have a beer on top of the bottles that I had so wonderfully nursed through the afternoon. Not long after that I headed off to bed, Stage 2 was calling. That was at 9.30pm.

Sadly Johan’s key jinx seemed to be contagious as for the next hour, I proceeded to look for the lost Cruiser keys. I’d lost them between coming back from supper and then?! What a waste of sleeping time. After unpacking and searching every box and piece of stuff I had brought along, as well as every nook and cranny, I finally found them in the keyhole of the open back tailgate. Jeez that pissed me off.

So I was a bit tired when I awoke. Obviously not from the wine and beer but the key saga. Obviously.

It thankfully wasn’t as cold as the previous two nights but still had a bit of a bite.

I got the feeling that we all were in a way, “old hands” some of the wonderment and tension about the rally had gone. There was a familiarity, expectation and calmness.

Alex had deemed that we were to start an hour later than the previous day so kick off was at 7am. Still it was a fabulous dawn.

Again I parked next to Niel, this time nowhere near enough to knock him over.

I then went and sat on the bank behind to watch the dance. The dance of the start and the dawn. Somehow the point and shoot did us proud;

Hey! Whaddajaknow?! They made it back for round 2!

We were let off in threes this time. My start line budies.

This time the morning liaison was to be to the start of the Ouberg Pass, a little longer than yesterday. There was more dust in the air too. We arrived to the Monster banner looking out over the Karoo.

As it was light we were being ushered directly to the start but I wasn’t keen to go immediately. I wanted to sort out my Mountain bike inner again and also I wasn’t in a rush.

Also, I have a condition that is getting worse over time. I have carpal tunnel so every successive day after the first is terrible. It is incredibly sore in my palm at about 3am and my thumb, fore and middle finger go numb. I usually take an anti-inflammatory and pain tablet and that takes a bit of the edge off. From experience it takes a few hours of riding to come back to any sort of normal. So stopping to get some feeling back before plunging down the pass was also a good motivation for waiting a bit.

Whilst waiting, Johan arrived, he had unexpectedly, another issue. It just wasn’t his weekend. His road books motor wouldn’t work. We agreed to try ride together once his roadbook was fixed. Douw gave a helping hand.

John aka Tau, “Mention BMW one more time my bru, I keel you… Just like this!”

Johan and I were eventually ready and all this ninja stuff was scary so I moved to the start at 7.48am. Locked and loaded for timed section 2.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
kamanya OP
Andrew to most

This is a view of most of the more interesting bits of the timed section

The video of the day, click and let it load whilst you read;

The start this time was a lot more relaxed, just pitch and they take your number and time and off we went. Going down the pass I started slowly passing one HP2 that had started just in front of me and was also taking it easy. Not very far after that, some chap on a Honda had missed one of the hairpins and had a nasty off. Someone else was with him and though his bike was on its side the rider was up and about so I carried on. (see the video). Johan was not on my tail and looking back he was behind a group of 3 and not moving up to stay with me. I should have stopped to ask what was going on but as he hadn’t stopped but just stayed behind the group I thought he had changed his mind and was taking it easier than me.

I decided that once on the flat section I would stick to the speed limit and let him catch me. He never did. I only found out later why.

I love open karoo roads. They are usually very well maintained and have a nice feel to them. In the video it looks pretty quick but on the GPS I never went above 120, although I have to admit I was not often far from it. It was a lovely start to the day. A really great moment was passing one of the smaller bikes around a corner, most of it was in a slide. Yes, it wasn’t absolutely necessary, but shit, its fun.

It wasn’t long before we headed into the farm land. I had a huge moment when just before a muddy bit I shifted weight to avoid whacking a big rock, the front then was into the muddy bit and started to slide out. I was doing about 70, it was going to be sore if the front didn’t catch. Somehow the tire bit and I had the bike back under me, it was the first time in the rally where I had been given a scare. Till then, because I was well within my limits all had been fun. If you look at the vido, you can’t really see what the bike is doing but watch the horizon, it dips much more than it should. That’s because I thought I was heading to the ground.

Not far after that there was a mistake in the roadbook, Intuitively I knew I should take a left but the roadbook said go straight. I was right, it was a 500meter U-turn. It looked like everyone had made the same mistake. I passed a guy coming down the lane as I was riding back.

Alex was not far up the trail directing us onto the Skuurberg climb. It was not especially technical just pretty steep so momentum was key. I soon started to battle with my hands. I was making an effort to stay balanced and use my hands as little as possible to hold on. Even still, with the loss of feeling I was not riding as clean as I like and was coming off the lines that I wanted. I am certain that I do not get my share of punctures as I am pretty deliberate about where I place my wheels. Now without the finesse that the numbness was creating I was getting irritated.

I was feeling less racy this day and found that I could ride at a fair pace for 10 minutes or so then come off a bit and try to stretch my hands or shake them out where I freewheeled and wait for some feeling to return then wind it back up to fun pace. My goal was to stay safe the whole trip so my irritation wasn’t with losing time, it was being less in control.

A chap up ahead had stalled on a section. I stopped on a erosion berm behind him when who should ride up next to me but Dan. He said he too was suffering a little with his hands. We waited for the guy to sort himself out a bit, then Dan rode on as I wanted to take the stopped opportunity to shake a bit more life into my hands and have a drink.

Looking up after getting up a steep section;

Trust me if you look hard enough there’s riders there

The rest of the climb was uneventuful but steeper towards the end.

The Top

Once ontop the track snaked along the escarpment that was flipping pretty. I found a porcupine in a cage trap. I was tempted to free it but another rider came past and suggested that it was not what the farmer was trying to catch but buggering around with his trap might create issues for the organisers of the ride. I was conflicted but he had a point; The porcupine would soon hopefully be set free, the trap wouldn’t be able to catch anything else in the meantime and I was getting to ride his land.

I caught up to Dan, he had stopped to help Gideon with a puncture. Sadly I couldn’t help as I’d stupidly left my axle spanner at home, so unlucky for Gideon but lucky I didn’t get a puncture.

The rest of the track was pretty but riding wise I found it boring. It was just rocky with a never ending succession of erosion prevention berms, so it was first & sometimes second gear stuff till the end. One notable bit was the step up called “Broekskuur”. I have subsequently read that there was a bit of carnage and waiting, but when I got there they were just pulling a local farmer on a 650 BM up over the top so I never stopped. *I think I got lucky.

Some pics from the guys taking shots there;

The only lady and only person on a 1200GS on the rally did exceptionally well. Up the same bit, she was fearless, but put a hole in her sump.

Nothing a bit of liquid steel couldn't handle.

Sadly I have no photo’s of the end and I think I did something with the camera that stopped the recording. I think my time was 2.04 hours at 9:52am. Not bad for shit hands and stopping to take photo’s and help I think. I don’t think that I got many speeding penalties either. It was 80.6km’s @ 42kph average.

Once at the end I found out why Johan had never caught up. He got stuck behind a small group and when he tried to pass, he too followed in the track marks of the guy who went over the edge that you can see on the video. He made it through in *

The afternoon was pretty slow, I was tired and tried to have a snooze but was kept amused by the kids. And Rudi (thanks Rynette) was giving them all a short ride. They had been hanging around the camp for the last two days and had been prevented from coming in by the local security. Now that the event was nearly over, things had loosened up a bit. Maybe some Dual Sport riders in the making?

Not so sure

He couldn’t be tempted on, he had his tire and the that was enough

That evening was a bunch of fun and the awards session was moving. Alex had done a great job and though there were some teething issues, these were nothing in compared to the experience.

Len and Peter? The gyro boys

Trouble

“So, then he said “BMW” one more time and I did like this to his eye…”

“and then I was only cross hey!”

I had gone to fetch Rynette, the amazing bike…

Battered but fixed

The important bit… “Stage 2 End”!

Back at the fun pit…

The prodigal son. This is the chap that went walk about on the qualifier, can’t remember his name but nice chap all the same.

Trouble hoekie

“Here my son, though I might be a cripple, what’s mine is yours…”

Crappy photo, but you get the picture. Alex and Wayne. Thanks to his team big time.

I hope it continues to grow and flourish.

That night I was toast and was in bed pretty early. The Weskus bunch came home much later and were pretty amusing. I didn’t know that Rickus, Bob, Chris and DeWalt have a penchant for opera? Wonders never cease.

Morning!

Guy aka Biscuit, asked me if the weave and headshake that he was having had anything to do with the bike. He’d asked me this the night before in the pub. Being a big mouth I said I’d try his bike out and give him my opinion.

My opinion… it’s him. It rides well.

I think he was hoping I wouldn’t say that.

He has big meaty hands and is a strong guy, I suspect that he hangs on too hard and stiff and this creates a circular feedback that ends in the shakes.

Going home day was for me a great time. I had the cruiser to myself and could be as slow or quick as I liked. A quick breakfast in Maitjiesfontein with Bob and DeWalt and it was homeward bound. Through the beautiful Hex river valley.

It was pissing in the Cape, I felt sorry for those that rode back

Till next year. Thanks for reading.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Duke78
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Thumb

Great Stuff Mate! Thanks for taking the time for the write up! Lookin forward to participate in something like this!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Looks like a good time.. thanks for sharing your ride and pics
Old 05-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
FechFech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Cool !

I like bike rallies, thanks for sharing. I have to admit that I never heard of the Amageza Rally before your report, but that may be because I live a long way from South Africa (in Switzerland, to be specific). Judging from the pictures there were a lot a big bikes like your KTM Adventure, Africa Twins, HP2s, etc. Were there any smaller bikes, like a KTM EXC 450 ? The "Broekskuur" looks tricky to ride on a heavy bike. If you could pick a bike just for that rally, what would it be ?

Cheers,

FechFech
FechFech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 781
SA is hard to beat when it comes to riding....Lekker ride!
Cheers
Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
kamanya OP
Andrew to most

Quote:
Originally Posted by FechFech View Post
Were there any smaller bikes, like a KTM EXC 450 ? The "Broekskuur" looks tricky to ride on a heavy bike. If you could pick a bike just for that rally, what would it be ?

Cheers,

FechFech
The rally was limited to 450cc's and bigger. There were no EXC's but there were 3 KTM 450 RR factory rally bikes.

If money was not an issue I'd have the 450RR.

But realistically the KTM 690 enduro with rally fairing and bigger tanks is the one I'd have.

kamanya screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 03:11 AM
kamanya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
FechFech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
KTM 690 Enduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya View Post
The rally was limited to 450cc's and bigger. There were no EXC's but there were 3 KTM 450 RR factory rally bikes.

If money was not an issue I'd have the 450RR.

But realistically the KTM 690 enduro with rally fairing and bigger tanks is the one I'd have.
The 690E is an excellent bike. I did a 10 day rally-raid on my 690E in Morocco in Spring 2011. Some pictures are here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1089

The bike worked flawlessly for 10 days and 2500 kilometers. However, I found it to be too heavy in deep sand, dunes and mud. Another problem is the steering angle, or rather the lack of it. I dropped the bike more than once in tight hairpins simply because I couldn't make such a tight turn. I did a similar trip in Morocco in April / May this year on a KTM EXC-F 350 and found this bike way easier to ride. The 350 weighs about 125 kg with 13 liters of fuel, the 690 was about 170 kg with 21 liters. I could go a lot faster on the 350 than on the 690 and felt safer and got less tired at the same time. Of course the 690 is more comfortable and quicker on tarmac and on smooth gravel roads, but everything else is easier on the 350.
FechFech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Andrew I just read this again - what a delight! I also looked at the videos....Huge respect to you for manhandling that beast of yours over all of that so well.

All the best for the coming Amageza, and I hope you are able to give us something similar in terms of RR.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote