Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
landscaping
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,200
So I was asked to pretend to be a referee today. Apparently the $180 per kid does not cover league ref's and the home team is responsible for bringing one to the game. I don't want to do it again. Some parents are real pains in the ass. Ferfuxsake, the kids are 7, I'm letting them play unless there is a blatant foul or something that leads to a breakaway. Idjits. Maybe I should have tossed one off the field. "You, go watch from the car!"
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,782
my wife mentionned the intensity of some of the parents...
i honestly don't notice or even hear anything. we coach from the feild lining up behind the play. I'm in the zone...
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
i honestly don't notice or even hear anything. we coach from the feild lining up behind the play. I'm in the zone...
I was more concerned with not running through one of the kids than hearing what the peanut gallery was complaining about. Some of those kids are small and I'm, well, I'm not small. It was funny that some of the bitching was coming from my son's sideline, though.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #21
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,782
we play a game in warm up's called 'coach's keepaway" basically the coaches all run around throwing the ball to each other.

today, i got my legs tangled up with my son and went down (hard)...
all my players started yelling "coach is down"
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #22
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
we play a game in warm up's called 'coach's keepaway" basically the coaches all run around throwing the ball to each other.

today, i got my legs tangled up with my son and went down (hard)...
all my players started yelling "coach is down"
I hope your league provides 1st aid for those occasions.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #23
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,644
Quote:
Yep, I am with you. When I am responsible for defense, my total focus is on those kids only...it is amazing all that goes on that you miss. People will say things, and I have to check with someone else when I was in that zone. Sorry, wasn't paying attention to that.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
So I was asked to pretend to be a referee today. Apparently the $180 per kid does not cover league ref's and the home team is responsible for bringing one to the game. I don't want to do it again. Some parents are real pains in the ass. Ferfuxsake, the kids are 7, I'm letting them play unless there is a blatant foul or something that leads to a breakaway. Idjits. Maybe I should have tossed one off the field. "You, go watch from the car!"
Our refs are 12 year old kids who play in the local elite league. One of the parents from the other team actually started heckling the 12 year old ref on Friday night. He quieted down,luckily for him. He was about to receive a stern talking-to.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
onetravdown OP
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
In our league, the two teams playing have to split the cost for the Refs and pay them at game time. Most of the time they're pretty good. But some of them seem to think they're ref'ing in the World Cup.

This past Saturday we had a Ref that was absolutely terrible. He was blowing calls all over the place...for both teams I might add. My daughter was in goal in the first half. The Ref missed a blatant off sides call and the other team scored. At half time I get all the girls together and talk about what's going on. I then realized my daughter was not among the team and I looked back at the field and there she was, talking a bit loudly to the Ref. I had to pull her away before she got a red card. After the game, I had a parent of one of my players confront the ref about his terrible calls. That's a big no no and we will get fined since I'm responsible for the action(s) of the parents. Luckily, I was able to apologize to the Ref and he let it go. It seems I'm not only a coach but a Ref as well.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #26
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Parents gone wild....

that guy could save himself a lot of grief if he just changes his format.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,760
until you have dealt with youth hockey, you can't complain. Parents get really pissy when they drove in the car for 3 hours to get to some shit hole ice rink at 7am.
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #28
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
until you have dealt with youth hockey, you can't complain. Parents get really pissy when they drove in the car for 3 hours to get to some shit hole ice rink at 7am.
Must be you played Berlin!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #29
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Must be you played Berlin!
Berlin or Conway. Growing up and playing in Baltimore was far worse. Here in NH I have like 8 rinks within 20 minutes of me. In Baltimore it was one rink with in an hour. You would have to drive to PA to fucking play at 5am.
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #30
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,177
We moved from one town to another because of the schools and youth sports.

I really enjoyed watching my boys play baseball and basketball. The difference in coaches was very apparent, some were clueless activity directors, some wanted to teach skills and others just wanted to win but didn't know how.

Regardless my boys had a great time and so did I. I made a vow to never be the obnoxious parent which with few exceptions I was able to do. My gig was to bring a camera and at least one game a season I would take a ton of photos of each kid plus the coaches coaching. It's amazing how far a sumgmug print in a walmart frame will go to making a coach feel appreciated. I also liked running the scoreboard for the baseball games, we'd be in a little shelter right behind home plate.

Basketball not so much, one time I got reamed by a coach because I wasn't tracking fouls properly and he was sure the other team's star fouled out.
Ritalin Boy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: