ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #46
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kamala's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Nashoba Valley
Oddometer: 12,535
I coached Little League for a couple of seasons. Never again will I ever get involved in Kids sports. The kids (for the most part) were fine the parents all sucked. I was OCD about making sure each kid played the same amount of time in each and every game. Far too many parents thought their kid should never ever sit, especially if Grandpa drove up from the Cape to watch the game. The topping on the cake was when I told the kids that they should get together during the summer, go to the park (pronounced Pahhk) and just play ball. The traditional Pick Up Game. That night and for about a week afterwards my phone rang off the wall with irate parents wanting to know if I was planning to be at the Park too to over see the game. What about the child molesters and kidnappers roaming my wealthy snotty suburb? Suppose Little Johnny got hurt? What about the dope smokers that hang at the (completely empty) parks? How would they get there? How would they get home? How dare I tell the children to put themselves in an unsafe and dangerous position. I feel sorry for the kids.
__________________
I survived the Great Folk Music Scare of the 1960s (when it almost caught on) !
Kamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #47
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
I coached Little League for a couple of seasons. Never again will I ever get involved in Kids sports. The kids (for the most part) were fine the parents all sucked. I was OCD about making sure each kid played the same amount of time in each and every game. Far too many parents thought their kid should never ever sit, especially if Grandpa drove up from the Cape to watch the game. The topping on the cake was when I told the kids that they should get together during the summer, go to the park (pronounced Pahhk) and just play ball. The traditional Pick Up Game. That night and for about a week afterwards my phone rang off the wall with irate parents wanting to know if I was planning to be at the Park too to over see the game. What about the child molesters and kidnappers roaming my wealthy snotty suburb? Suppose Little Johnny got hurt? What about the dope smokers that hang at the (completely empty) parks? How would they get there? How would they get home? How dare I tell the children to put themselves in an unsafe and dangerous position. I feel sorry for the kids.
I can't understand what you were thinking. Working on an Audi.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #48
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing
 
doyle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Off Piste
Oddometer: 22,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Did Doyle finally breakdown? Join the hysteria?

Potential link here.
That's great. Not me though.
__________________
Got Smugmug? Use code HWkDUhHwGv5Tc for a discount.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #49
zippy
Hinter dem Feld
 
zippy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: St Pete
Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
.....and the Saga as a U10, soon to be U11, girls soccer coach continues.......

We just finished up tryouts for the upcoming fall U11 girls last week. According to most parents, their daughters are all soccer stars! So just in case you are watching the Olympics this summer and the U.S. women's team looks a bit small, that's because they're all 10 and 11 year old girls from NJ.

Holy crap what a nightmare. I just wish parents would understand that it's OK if your kid isn't the greatest soccer player and just let them play. It's about learning and having fun at this age. But some of them don't seem content until they suck all the fun right out of it.
I feel for you. I was up in Ohio seeing my nephew off to basic training for the air force last weekend. While there I caught my 10 year old nephews soccer game. Even saw one dad giving his kid 5 hour energy prior to the game. I had to tell my pops to calm down it's only kids playing a game. Come on people these are 10 year olds playing soccer in Medina Ohio , the fate of the world is not dependent on the outcome.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #50
p3ga
Rounding Error
 
p3ga's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Home for the Terminally Bored.
Oddometer: 937
If you want to see some f'ed up parents, visit your local motocross track some weekend and watch the 50cc races.......the kids (well, most of them anyway) are there to have fun, but there's always at least one Tony Alessi wannabe screwing up his kid's psyche & killing any desire the kid has in riding.

And the moms are even worse.

Thankfully, we avoided that like the plague. But there were some pretty talented kids that didn't meet their dad's expectations & fell off the face of the earth. Really is a shame.
__________________
Phil
Atlanta GA


p3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #51
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Future ten's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Tampa fl
Oddometer: 205
I've been in the parks and recreation field for 25 years this month. My son and daughter (older by 10 years) ride dirt bikes.
The parents here in fl are nothing short of insane.
__________________
Semper Fi.
Future ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #52
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,612
what the hell.....

the opposing coach pulled his starting pitcher after giving up three runs and only getting one out. there's a six run rule. I've never seen a kid get pulled and not allowed to finish an inning he started.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #53
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra
 
Uncle Pollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Albuquerque, Neue Messico
Oddometer: 47,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I know, Hodag is a little ridiculous in that thread. No big deal though.

Hey, do you guys have a goalie in U10? How do you teach them that? Do you let them all do it, or just a couple of them?
A goalie is born a goalie ... a knack for intercepting the ball no matter how many rebounds and re-strikes he gets. Goalies also are pretty fearless.

Find the goalie in your team.

Usually a kid that does not like to run that much sometimes suffices, but if you want a good goalie a former rugby player will do nicely.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #54
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!
 
NICO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 23,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
A goalie is born a goalie ... a knack for intercepting the ball no matter how many rebounds and re-strikes he gets. Goalies also are pretty fearless.

Find the goalie in your team.

Usually a kid that does not like to run that much sometimes suffices, but if you want a good goalie a former rugby player will do nicely.


My kid loves goal. He's taken shots from 10 feet out right to the chops and didn't complain until after the game when all his buddies weren't around. Then he cried like a little girl.

Everyone seems to think he's got some sort of knack in net. Time will tell, the little shit hates to practice and refuses to go to summer camp to stay sharp on his skills.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #55
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!
 
NICO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 23,805
So LittleNico's baseball team is still undefeated, 9-0.

Opposing coach again told his guys, very loudly, that if our guys were on the base to run through them. On kid tried that on my son. Didn't work out as planned. Poor kid laid on the ground gasping for air while my son tagged him out. In true LittleNico form, he then called time and knelt down to try to help the kid get it together. Asked him if he was OK and apologized for, well I'm not sure what he apologized for. I enjoyed staring at the other coach, shaking my head with that little "You dumb-fuck" look on my face.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #56
onetravdown OP
I can't ride where?
 
onetravdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: The garbage state
Oddometer: 889
A little update since starting this thread........I stopped coaching.

My daughter played on a summer tournament soccer team coached by a couple very good coaches. It was very apparent to me that she responded much better to coaches other than her dad. After the tournament team was done, my daughter was, for lack of a better word, recruited to play by a few teams. So I took her to some practices for those teams and let her choose where she wanted to play. She chose a team with two female coaches and is playing some of the best soccer I've seen from her yet. She's also guest playing for a few teams in tournaments. In fact, she played in a tournament for a team this past weekend and helped them win first place by shutting out every team she faced.

Anyway, since she's now playing with another team, I do not have the time to devote to coaching. I let all of the parents know my daughter would be playing for another team and I would be leaving as well. 70% of the parents understood and were supportive. They thanked me for my efforts and volunteering my time to coach the girls. The rest, took it personally and were downright angry with me. I received lots of hate email. At the end of the day we all do what's best for our kids. That's what I did and I will never apologize for doing so. If someone doesn't like it, tough shit. Now I can focus more on my kid and watch her play her best soccer.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #57
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,612
another update to this thread.....

As bad as baseball was in the spring, football is worse.
Practice two, and sometimes three nights a week, games in the middle of the day on Saturday up to an hour away and needing took be there an hour early means the whole day is shot.
I was happy to see this is the last game on the calender, but then there is a note about playoffs. Four more Weeks of this most likely......
As a side note, the boy likes it and is pretty good.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #58
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,612
Weeee. Super Bowl Saturday. 38 degrees and heavy rain. And just because that's not fun enough, we're on a thirty minute delay due to lightning.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #59
erinbomber
in awe
 
erinbomber's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: going nowhere
Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
A little update since starting this thread........I stopped coaching.

My daughter played on a summer tournament soccer team coached by a couple very good coaches. It was very apparent to me that she responded much better to coaches other than her dad. After the tournament team was done, my daughter was, for lack of a better word, recruited to play by a few teams. So I took her to some practices for those teams and let her choose where she wanted to play. She chose a team with two female coaches and is playing some of the best soccer I've seen from her yet. She's also guest playing for a few teams in tournaments. In fact, she played in a tournament for a team this past weekend and helped them win first place by shutting out every team she faced.

Anyway, since she's now playing with another team, I do not have the time to devote to coaching. I let all of the parents know my daughter would be playing for another team and I would be leaving as well. 70% of the parents understood and were supportive. They thanked me for my efforts and volunteering my time to coach the girls. The rest, took it personally and were downright angry with me. I received lots of hate email. At the end of the day we all do what's best for our kids. That's what I did and I will never apologize for doing so. If someone doesn't like it, tough shit. Now I can focus more on my kid and watch her play her best soccer.
Similar situation with mine. 12 yr. old daughter who plays "club" soccer. She has really developed as a player, it was the best thing for her. Know though that the parents don't get any better. You won't have to deal with them as a coach, but their behaviour on the sidelines is still atrocious. I see parents get ordered off the field almost every weekend. They have a sense of entitlement because of the higher cost and the travel required. Also, all of the "club" parents are convinced that their kid is Mia Hamm or Hope Solo and this team is just a stepping stone to their berth on the Women's National Team. I wear headphones during the game so I don't have to listen to them. I still see girls who obviously don't want to play anymore, but feel like they have to now because their parents shelled out a fortune for them to play. It's sad.
erinbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #60
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,800
Nothing new.....

1977.... Maxwell AFB, told a full bird colonel to get off of my sideline at a youth football Game. I was an airman first class at the time.








(Damn glad only one of us was in uniform. )
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014