Where is the dude

Dude, where is our next read, hey ?
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #47
GoDoMore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
This is great

I have been waiting to read a report on the new TN trail. Sounds like it at least starts off great...Is that Witt Rd? Can't wait to hear more...hey bro its been a couple of days, you didn't get hung up at that strip club did you?
78 Yamaha DT-400 what fun
2008 KLR650
GoDoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #48
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
probably no internet connection. It's kind of hard to keep RR's updated when camping. The only time to do it is when passing through a town and who wants to do a RR when you can ride. Some paid campgrounds will have internet and motels will, but my experience is that internet connections are pretty crappy unless at a good hotel. It takes a lot of time to do picts and writing, not to mention the other important things like, eating, cleaning clothes, doing roll charts...etc
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #49
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrawk View Post
aside from the excessive use of bro, and the bro-ey word/phrases, i think this will be a pretty good ready. I'm in. good luck "bro"
I think maybe we should make it a drinking game. Chug a beer for each "bro".

Only kidding megashred. Your ride, your report. I'm subscribed. Looking forward to the next installment.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #50
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,368
Somebody rescue our hero from the Boobie Bungalow...
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #51
megashred OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Day 4

haha easy bros, you'll get used to it. Thanks for all the support and comments. Just to answer some things...

Yea I know I have a lot of stuff but I need it all. I have full camping supplies, cold weather gear, rain gear and tools to fix pretty much anything on the bike. As for water, I have a 5 liter capacity right now including a camel back. And if all goes to hell, I have my camping backpack and supplies for two days at all times. I also made sure I can run a few miles with a loaded back pack.
As for the "bro" issue, there's really nothing to say other than.....easy bro, its chill. And the drinking game idea is extremely encouraged. I will mess you up.

Yea that was Witt Road...that jerk

Yea I'm riding within my limits and I think I know them, I know the risks I'm at and I don't push it. I also have a Find-me-spot gps thing so I'll just S.O.S. that shit if I can't flex something out.

Yes the Boobie Bungalo was everything I dreamed it could be....

Anyway lets get to the TAT

DAY 4

With the sun rising over the Bungalo, I said my last goodbyes and headed out. It was drizzling a little but I checked the weather and it looked solid to the south west, so I decided to tough it out.

Next thing you know, a little blue sky came out and the road started to dry out so I could start cruising

You guys had me all worried about these water crossings. I knew they might be slippery so I walked across this one to check it out. It was fine...thanks for the wet feet bros.....haha na I'm kidding...but seriously..not cool.

The next one was real wide but only a foot deep. No problems there either

The morning was pretty stress free. It looked like it was gonna rain the entire time and I had my electronics all bagged up and rain gear ready to go. Fortunately only a few light showers passed by and I could stay on the road.

This one looked like it might be slippery too so I decided to test it. I dipped the front tire in and had enough grip to ride out a wheelie through it....come one guys don't make me worry for no reason.

After throwing down some miles, I finally got offroad. These gravel roads are real cool.

Then I hit my first major obstacle of the trip. This river crossing was flooded out the day before and looked like it brought all the silt to the banks of it. From my experience in Maryland, this stuff is awful and the bike just sinks in it. I wasn't about to get 475 lbs of bike stuck in mud so I was tempted to reroute.

Next thing I know, A tractor rolls up and the most southern dude I've ever met gets out. He got out and shouted, "eh boy why don't you just jump it!" I was like....what language is that....I guess Mississippi. Anyway, his name was Junior Kon and he was a real solid dude. I told him if he dug me a ramp I'll jump the shit out of it. After talking about all his friends from Maryland...and how they were in jail now, I decided to watch him roll through and see how the tractor sank in it.

No problem, I guess Mississippi mud doesn't sink like Maryland. It was slippery as hell but no biggie. I helped ol Junior tow a tree out of the way, and then took off. What a guy...

I picked out an area I wanted to camp and tried to make it there in time. It ended up being way farther than I thought it was but I was on a roll

I got there right as the sun was setting

I started getting all my stuff together for tomorrow

The owners of the campground invited this other biker and I in for dinner. I guess we looked that cool. He was an army guy road cruising trying to find a good college. I obviously told him to stop by VT. Solid dude and solid campground bros. It was the frog hollow campground near coffeeville Miss.

Anyway, This was the first real day of offroad riding and it was real chill. Finally throwing the bike sideways is always a good time. Even better when you get to shred for over 11 hours.

Day 4 total mileage: 356.5 miles
megashred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #52
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
don't do what I did with having a chain too tight. I'm used to running shaft drives and had the chain too tight and just outside of Gunnison Co, is when the CS sprocket lost all it's bite and the chain broke. Guess what in this case I needed two links to fix a busted chain, oh well got towed 20 miles ON PAVEMENT luckily. Just make sure the chain isn't too tight. I didn't know any better so if there is any question in your mind you better double check, better to loose.

What's the story on Witt Road??? Is it bag good or what??

Get ready for Arkansas gravel and you'll love OK. Don't get to used to covering that kind of miles/day, FURTHER WEST YOU GO YOUNG MAN THE FEWER MILES.

Get used to the bitching and moaning when there aren't any updates, we're like leaches for a good TAT report. Humor is good and leaving the audience hanging usually result in some crying by the arm chair warriors.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #53
megashred OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Day 5

This day turned it all around for me. Definitely the chillest day so far.

I got up at sunrise and packed the bike up. It was a little cold so I idled the bike for a while...pretty sure everyone in the campground hates me...sorry bros. I was instantly thrown back into the dirt roads of Mississippi but the sunrise was showing clear signs of my favorite thing...Bluebird skies

I think I got overstoked on sunshine and was totally ripping. The Honda was tossing roost for days and I quickly had a 100 miles down by mid morning.

And then the roads got flat

Legit flat

I was seeing more and more pavement so I knew I was getting close to the river. These roads were straight for days. Ive never seen anything like this before. 650l's go 103 with a tailwind....not that I would know....

Welcome to Arkansas bros.....Drink!

It's weird how each state has a different vibe. Arkansas is desolate.

I stopped here for a solid twenty min to load the next chart. I didn't even hear a car.

After chilling way too hard, I did my high-kick move to get on the bike and it fell over. I was always kinda worried that I wouldn't be able to pick it up...but it's no issue. I definitely need to stretch.

I'm definitely glad I got here a few days after the rain. The ruts in the road looked like the road was really sloppy when wet. Luckily most of it was hard and brittle. Some of it wasn't.......

When I hit 200 miles, I really eased up and started to cruise. I put some headphones in and chilled in 3rd for a few hours. The roads were monotonous but the scenery was epic

The roads definitely have a learning curve. The bike tends to swerve the entire time and I really had to control. To turn, I would normally gas it and slide it sideways, but with all the gear, the rear end doesnt budge. Instead, I just slowed down a lot and both tires would tend to just slide through the turn. The whole thing is mad sketch but it gets to be second nature.

I ended up putting in another long day of tearing up the midwest and covered a lot of westward ground. This bridge was towards the end of the day. There's an easy way and hard way for everything right? I went the hard way...what the hell

Anyway, I'm doing the hotel thing tonight again. Whatever....but i want to camp more. I plan to map out all the state park campgrounds along the way tonight. Those tend to be better than just finding stuff on the gps. I'll figure it out. and oh yea, since I shred hard, I'm gonna need a new d606 on the rear.

It's going a lot faster than I thought. Anybody got any good shop suggestions? probably end of oklahoma to early Utah would be good. Any place is a big help...thanks bros.

So here we are 5 days out and I'm really starting to get the whole TAT vibe. Sure I miss hanging out with the crew back home but this is definitely an experience I will never forget. I feel like I'm making a lot of progress too. Am I doing this fast? Whatever, I guess its a live hard shred hard thing. Thanks for keeping up and wish me luck over the next few days. Tread lightly bros....

-Kevin

Day 5 total mileage 350.2
megashred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #54
NVcrash
n00b

Oddometer: 9
[QUOTE] If the bike takes a shit in the middle of Nevada.....[QUOTE] call me. I'll provide you with a way out and cold beer! If it doesn't take a shit.....call me anyway! I will stash some beer and steaks at the cabin (not far from the TAT) and ride there with you.

Nice RR.....Bro!
NVcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #55
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,267
This thread needs to be renamed. Transamerica Trail Bro

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #56
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetuss10 View Post
This thread needs to be renamed. Transamerica Trail Bro

Transamerica Trail Bro Livin It Up
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #57
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,267
Transamerica Trail Bro Livin It Up Like A Broseph

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #58
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,575
Transamerica shredasurous Trail?

Looks like you are having a great time. From what I have heard of the TAT, these are the easy days.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #59
MP5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Good RR bro. Keep it up.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #60
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
It's weird how each state has a different vibe. Arkansas is desolate.
If you think Arkansas is desolate,I can't wait to see your reaction when you get farther west..

Nice report,keep it up
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote