Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 748
Got caught in some fairly large hail going up through the mountains on 81 in VA last year. Saw a few that almost looked cherry sized hit the front of the bike, I was worried my visor would get cracked (which it thankfully didn't). I would have pulled over under an overpass but cars had already begun stopping on the shoulder and even in the right hand lane to shield themselves . I knew I was moving perpendicular to the direction of the storm so I just pinned it and got out after a few miles. All in all not horrible, especially considering I was in my summer gear and the temp dropped to about 50 (far too cold for the gear I was wearing).
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
Does the 1/4 inch of snow you guys get down south even count?

Usually does because it never comes without a 1/2" of ice underneath it.

I have ridden through snow because thats the only way I could get where I was going, but as little as we get here I prefer to stay out of it.

As for rains, wind and lightning, I try to stay out of the lightning but again, sometimes you just got to ride because theres no other option.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Glasscock View Post
Ice and snow is what will keep me off the roads. Luckily, where I live, it doesn't really happen. I learned riding in the snow on my Shadow 750 doesn't handle to well. A snow storm came while at work and I rode home with the bike in first gear and my legs hanging out for 13 miles. Looked and felt like an idiot.
The mental visual of this is awesome

But, its what I would do if stuck in a snow storm. Guess I need to get better at winter/snow riding.

Lost Rider....YOU ARE THE MAN!
Great pics. I bet there are some great stories to go along with them.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #19
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
Sandia peak, NM

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I don't ride on ice and snow if I can help it. I did ride all day (450 miles) on the interstate in a full gale, with winds in the 40 mph range most of the day, gusting to 50-60. Some of the gusts were strong enough that me and my bike were lifted and moved sideways into the other lane, so I tried not to ride near other vehicles. It was strange to be riding in a staightish line while leaned way over into the wind. The only way to do it was by lying flat on the tank, curled up behind the fairing as much as possible. Of course, there was also torrential rain off and on that flooded the highway inches deep. Another time I rode only about 30 miles in a rain/hailstorm that had most of the cars pulling off the road. The main problem I had was that the engine cooled down so much that it lost a bit of power. The hail was thick enough to accumulate like snow on the road.

My rule is to avoid bad weather if possible by observing forecasts and skirting around whatever I can, but if I do get caught my inclination is to plod on no matter what. I've never been stopped yet.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #21
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,954
It finally cleared up.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Like Lost Rider, I use to think riding in thunderstorms was exhilarating. Wind, heavy rain, crashing thunder, and flashes of lightening have a way of getting ones adrenaline pumping. Then a friend told me that the cage protects the driver in a car and not the insulation of the tires. He had to go and ruin it for me.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Lost Rider....
Great pics. I bet there are some great stories to go along with them.
Thanks!

It's true, there's some good stories to go along with those photos I made while riding in challenging weather.
Some of it was fun, some of it disturbing and stressful, (riding on ice in the mountains coming down 3000 feet comes to mind) some of it was downright painful at times and in serious situations riding while alone, especially when way out there depending on electric gear to keep me alive.... zero room for mechanical failures.
But in the end, those photos where myself and my bikes where deeply challenged and overcame the weather are one's that stick out the most and will always be remembered clearly in my head as great riding moments in my life.
Riding in extreme weather is risky no doubt, but life without risks or challenges to overcome is no life at all, at least for me.

Sometimes though choosing to ride in shit weather can make for good memories and be pretty fun!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 04:50 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
D R
----

Oddometer: 460
I headed out on a trip with a weather forecast of only rain showers. By the time I reached my destination for the day it was evident the weather forecasters under-estimated it. The evening news stated the weather actually turned into a tropical storm.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
SiouxsieCat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Snow, ice, and sub-teen temperatures stop me. Lightning makes me nervous, but not enough to take the cage.
Disclosure: business casual dress at work; if it's a downpour when I leave for work, I'll take the car.
SiouxsieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
jstark47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Out touring with my wife in sunmmer 2008, I had a lightning bolt hit a field about 150 feet away from me. I was looking right at the field when the bolt struck. Very impressive and very frightening. Since then I've tried to avoid situations with a high probability for lightning. One near miss was enough.

Oh, and I won't ride on snow and ice!
jstark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,777
Turn your volume down first....

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #28
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I lived in Maine for four years. I made it a point to get out and ride at least once (usually more) every month of the four winters I was there. The weather really wasn't all that extreme, (usually low 30s but as low as around 15), but I almost never saw anyone else out riding......and here I was with Florida tags on my bikes
Four years in Maine also, but it must have been further north, or maybe it was colder in the 70's.

Saw down to 26 below, but only rode down to 5 below. Had a gas line freeze up on my Z1 on I-95 outside Bangor. For an idea of the conditions, I got picked up by a road grader, fortunate because he was one of the few vehicles out that day.

Only dropped it once in the winter, and that was at 2 mph on hard-pack ice.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #29
oldspice1972
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370

Can't really tell, but up ahead here, near Nashville last spring, the sky opened up with torrential rain and hail. Had to pull over under a tree (brilliant, right?) about 10 minutes later. Rained most of the rest of the day, but the hail quit, so I hit the road. Next day, tornadoes near Joplin, Missouri and I got to ride through that system too. Didn't even know there was a huge twister in Joplin until I got home that night and saw the news. Tree branches were flying horizontally across I-70 so I pulled it over near STL and waited out the worst of it. Then, headed north back home to Iowa. The trip down south, two days, rain and in the 50s the whole way. Then, the same thing the two days back. Good thing was, the few days I spent riding down in TN, NC, and GA was sun, sun, sun!

2012 BMW R1200RT
oldspice1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #30
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
what stops me, not much
looks like a decent day for a ride to me

path shoveled to the road and ready to go

or another similar day

99 SV650
82 XV920R