Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #91
Rsquared
Echo

Oddometer: 99
Interesting thread. I’ve been riding for over 40 years, dirt, touring, and sport bikes. For me, the true test of a motorcycle is after you get off, does it make you say “What a Hoot”... If not, time to move along.
My current rides all have an orange lineage for that reason, and one of my favorites is the 990 Adventure. Would I buy it again, Oh Yes…

Rsquared screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 06:22 AM
Rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #92
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
2011 Ducati Multistrada Touring

Nope
Really? Care to elaborate?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #93
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
Really? Care to elaborate?
While there is certainly lots to love about the MS my peeves are it's just about impossible to do your own valve services, I'm not the kind of guy that likes to let others work on my bikes.

The electronic trickery is too much (my suspension failed when changing modes) to be fair it was under warranty and it just required a reflash of the ECU but in years to come I don't ever want to shell out what it will require to replace any of those components let alone trouble shoot them.

I am perfectly capable of adjusting my own suspension like we did in days of yore, also I really don't need to dial down my horsepower (god gave me a wrist for this) it's the self restraint thats the hard part

My next bike will be something more back to basics like a R1200R with no computers after they liquid cool the heads and get the HP up over 120.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #94
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
While there is certainly lots to love about the MS my peeves are it's just about impossible to do your own valve services, I'm not the kind of guy that likes to let others work on my bikes.

The electronic trickery is too much (my suspension failed when changing modes) to be fair it was under warranty and it just required a reflash of the ECU but in years to come I don't ever want to shell out what it will require to replace any of those components let alone trouble shoot them.

I am perfectly capable of adjusting my own suspension like we did in days of yore, also I really don't need to dial down my horsepower (god gave me a wrist for this) it's the self restraint thats the hard part

My next bike will be something more back to basics like a R1200R with no computers after they liquid cool the heads and get the HP up over 120.

Ah, yeah I hear you. My wife fell in love with and bought a Ducati Sport Classic. It's a beautiful bike, fun to ride, sounded great with the open clutch and aftermarket pipes, but...

Expensive, and touchy. It came with a closed ECU, so no fiddling with it to set up the new pipes. You could buy the $1K "race" ECU... and on and on.

So that bike is gone. I would buy it again, if money were no object.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #95
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 420
only 380 miles on it so far but I absolutely love my new 2012 vstrom DL 650 Adventure, can't wait to head out on a several day road trip and also interested to see what I have when I can start increasing my post break-in RPM's.....
Im in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And its difficult to analyze love when youre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #96
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 202
I'd buy either of them again in a heartbeat. Plan on keeping both for a long time.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #97
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
'09 Wee ABS

Definitely. I've had a lot of bikes over the last 50 years, but this little bike does everything I need: I commute everyday (if it's not snowing), I tour on it weeks at a time (back to back 1000 mile days when it's necessary to just git home) and off-road stuff the Alpine Loop and Black Bear in Colorado are easily doable. I travel solo much of the time spend a lot of time primitive camping off this bike up in the mountains and it's nice to be able to rely on it to get me there and back home.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #98
dustoffdax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
93 Honda VFR -- Yes, Great bike.

95 Triumph Thunderbird -- Yes, Great motor

00 HD Road King -- No, heavy and slow

03 Yamaha V-Max -- HELL YEA!! just don't try and turn it

07 KLR -- Yes, cheap and easy to ride around town

11 Husky TE310 -- Yes, unless I kill myself on it!
dustoffdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #99
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
As far as my beasts go:

'10 Multi 1200 -- Probably not. Just too many small things, and not very exciting. I think in making it appeal to all, Ducati lost a lot of character. Resonably fast but just bland. Local dealership is a big part of why I wouldn't buy another as well. Electronics and rear brake are annoying. Cushy 2-up tourer though, (if you can get the luggage to work/stay on). Of course at the time, the choice was pretty much it or the much spendier BMW. Now with the Super T and Tiger 800/1200, I think there are better options at the same price point. That being said, I will probably keep it since there is so much depreciation on it. 11500 miles with no break downs other then a flat tire. (Lots of repairs at the service intervals though).

'07 Super Enduro -- Yep. Awesome so far. Only had it for a few months. My favorite of all time to just take out of the garage. The smile is there before I get down 30' of driveway. Will see if the maintenance is a downside but so far it works really nice.

'02 Super Hawk -- Yep. Great value, best ownership experience of any bike I've had. Wish i kept it for a track bike.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #100
BudCAD
Zen Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 82
'05 DL650 V-Strom. I think I would if my riding stays the same (commuting mostly 2 lane country road, some highway), although I am itching to try something bigger and more powerful. Someone said boring... I think that's what I may be getting...
BudCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #101
Weekend_warrior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
In terms of the bike yes.... 07 DL650. Great bike. With mostly 2 up and pavement I'll be looking for something a little bigger. For me it does just fine and takes the maintainted dirt roads that I fairly well. Deep sand still sucks, but it will in anything more than 300 pounds! Hell it sucks close to 300.

My KTM abosultey yes. That little 450 RFS mill is very soild and still very fun.

I will be looking to switch both soon as I can stomach the bill. Just time for something different in both areas.

Motorcycling is great
Weekend_warrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #102
bikefree
misadventurer

Oddometer: 276
07 DL650 Without a doubt. Love it more every time I ride it.

Bart Simpson

bikefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #103
Golyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
2005 Kawasaki Z750: yes, I would buy it again. Great bike, handles well and I loved the engine. Do not miss the rattling rear suspension though.

2006 Honda CBR1100XX (Blackbird) : No , I would not buy again. Good bike, but waaay too heavy and for me it was not very comfortable for a sports tourer.

2007 Triumph Tiger 1050: Absolutely yes! I love this bike. Probably one of the most underrated bikes out there.
Golyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #104
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 246
Currently riding an '03 Tiger 955i, don't think I would buy it again. While I love the bike and have that excitement aspect to riding it, my sense is it is too big for me and what I want to do.

While I have only had this 3.5 months, I am putting on over 1K a month, so I have had a good feel for it. It is actually running through my mind to sell it and get something else - not sure what yet, thinking Ural, something totally out of the ordinary.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #105
Wfowade
n00b

Oddometer: 6
2000 Honda RC51 Still have it but would not buy another
2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R-on my third one
2004 ZX10R Not likely
KTM EXC530 Yes-though I might go for the newer chassis and single oil of the current 500
KTM LC4 640E Yes
Ducati S4R Once is enough though the bike is still in the collection
1999 Kawasaki ZX9R Yes, and one of the bikes I regret selling. It is reasonable for a track capable street bike, better all around vs the ZX10R though the 10R is faster.
1200GS-Yes
Wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote