Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #1396
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Oldrodie,
I have seen the hooks on each of my side pieces and it makes sense that the way yours is, is about all you can do. I will find something stretchy to make that happen. Thanks for the suggestion. Bob
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #1397
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,931

This is the OEM rubber band, part #4. They will only last for a couple of months in most environments because they are common rubber. When they break the right side battery cover is lost. The left cover is held in place by the lift handle.

The permanent fix for this problem that I like is to drill a small hole in the cover and use a small wire tie to attach it to the frame. It can be done so the wire tie is least visible.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 07-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #1398
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

mufflers

One other little challenge is mufflers for this 72 R75/5. The mufflers on it were terrible. Looked like cheap mufflers to begin with and were rusted big time. So, I need a pair of decent ones. This bike only has a little over 19K miles on it and doesn't look great by any means, but is a good one. I'm just wanting a nice looking daily rider. If anyone has a good pair of mufflers for sale, let me know. I also wouldn't mind buying a new set, but don't really want to spend $700 right now. Let me know your suggestions.
Bob
Old 07-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #1399
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Thanks Disston, sounds like a good solid fix that won't break and can be removed when needed......Bob
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #1400
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 850
If you don't want to drill holes in the chrome panels (not my favorite), I have seen small-hooked, short length bungie cords that work real good for that. Course, if you want to keep them good, just take them off and leave them at home. I think the bike looks just fine without them but they are kind of expensive to replace when you lose the right one. You always lose the right one because the left one is trapped by the chrome lift loop, where-as the right one is only heald by the hooks on the subframe and the chintzy rubber band (by the way, they came doubled from the factory). When the rubber band breaks, the right chrome panel is left to flap in the wind.

The best (and most expensive) alternative to muffler rot is to buy stainless. The next best thing is to never let them cool down. Our mufflers rot from the inside out, this is caused by not keeping them hot enough to burn out condensation and exhaust acids. If you ride your bike occationally or every day only a few miles, your mufflers will rot REALLY quickly. It only takes having to buy mufflers more than once to be able to afford stainless ones.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #1401
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Good thoughts on both problems Pokie. Those bungie's should be a good fix. They usually last a long time and are cheap too. My headers don't look very good but are good and solid. I may try cleaning them, but will use them for now regardless. Probably be better off just getting good stainless mufflers and being done with it. I don't want anything noisy, just a good sound that is pretty original sounding. Lots of people like Keihan. Seem like good quality but don't know about the sound. Will let you know how it goes.....Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #1402
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorrev View Post
Good thoughts on both problems Pokie. Those bungie's should be a good fix. They usually last a long time and are cheap too. My headers don't look very good but are good and solid. I may try cleaning them, but will use them for now regardless. Probably be better off just getting good stainless mufflers and being done with it. I don't want anything noisy, just a good sound that is pretty original sounding. Lots of people like Keihan. Seem like good quality but don't know about the sound. Will let you know how it goes.....Thanks again.
Keihans are quiet like stock. I can sneak out of the house at 0500 on the Airhead, but not in my Kombi.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #1403
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Mel,
Good news on the sound with the Keihans. Any other particular brands you like?
Bob
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #1404
stucknarut
Uh oh...

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorrev View Post
Oldrodie,
I have seen the hooks on each of my side pieces and it makes sense that the way yours is, is about all you can do. I will find something stretchy to make that happen. Thanks for the suggestion. Bob
On my slash 5 after snapping the stock one and almost losing a cover I used a bungee ball cord (some people call them tarp tie downs. Work the same way the stock rubber band does butmuch stronger, lasted for many many miles before I just quit running with side covers.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #1405
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Stucknarut----Thanks! I've got some of those ball bungees. We used them to wrap around the door pulls on our RV when we were traveling to insure they didn't open during the road trip. Good idea. Now if I could just locate a complete headlight and some used mufflers I'd be in pretty good shape. Bob
Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #1406
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,235
Holy shit you guys!!!! Read the thread TITLE!!!!! They made a thread specific for this crap just 2 down from this one!!!
Please be courteous to others looking to buy and sell and take it there

Albert mirror. Chipping around the glass, and the chrome is a bit pitted. 100 obo

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Old 07-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #1407
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
holy shit you guys!!!! Read the thread title!!!!! They made a thread specific for this crap just 2 down from this one!!!
Please be courteous to others looking to buy and sell and take it there
+1

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #1408
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Sorry about that. I'm new at this and didn't know exactly where to post.
Bob
Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #1409
Leadnuts
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
for the cafe or customizers

I have 2 sets of vintage mics that I was going to turn into some turn signals for my cafe build, one of which I did and it works nicely. Signals aren't needed here so I thought I'd see if someone else might want them. 75 per pair shipped.

[IMG]WP_001065[/IMG]

[IMG]WP_001067[/IMG]

also have some other really nice ones, saw them on a Ritmo Serano so I got some from Japan. I have two pair. 30 shipped per pair.

[IMG]WP_001056[/IMG]

cheers,
j
Old 07-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #1410
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 581
Leadnuts, sending you a PM about the Ritmo signals
Closed Thread