User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
Century Link internet....how much does it REALLY cost?

I've been a Qwest customer pretty loyally since 2005. Decent service, less decent bandwidth but it worked fine for me. Ever since the change over to Century Link my stupid internet has gotten slower and slower. I had the 1.5Mbs service the whole time and it's been fine until the last month or so where it seems slower every day. A speed test last night revealed my download speed to be 0.50Mbs. I swear these assholes are slowing it down on purpose to force me to upgrade and that really pisses me off. It's now gotten to the point where I can't even stream NetFlix over it anymore -- it stops to buffer every 10 minutes. Extremely annoying and it NEVER used to do that.

Anyway, I have to have a landline phone for my alarm system -- otherwise I don't use it at all.

What I simply cannot figure out in their stupid pricing/promotional structure is how much the 7Mbs service plus basic phone (no long distance or any frills) costs. Anyone have this who can tell me the REAL monthly cost? Even calling them is no help because in my previous experience they tell you one thing on the phone repeatedly and then your bill shows up and it's completely different (much higher).

I wish I had other options for phone + internet, but the land line thing is tying me down pretty badly.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,468
Century Link has been pretty aggressive in my area advertising their service. I don't know much about it, other than them claiming $20/mo for service, and locked in pricing forever. If it's basically DSL and you need a land line, then that really blows. Not like you can get a basic phone anymore cheap. Might as well just suck it up and pay the cable company for service, or someone else. The few times I've had DSL, no matter who it was through, have all sucked.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,628
I too used Qwest DSL for several years before it changed to Centurylink but I never noticed any change in speed. This was internet only, no phone, for $19.95 per month. It was much cheaper and more reliable than cable internet from our local provider. Last summer I switched over to a Virgin Mobile wireless 3g device attached to my netbook. Works great.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
We are going through the same thing with Century Link right now. Starting last week we can no longer stream Netflix without it stopping every 5-10 minutes. It had previously worked fine for the past several years. Wea are also tied to the land line since we have poor cell reception at home.
OLD GREEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,577
We canceled our land line recently, when we found out we could get a "cell phone" device for the alarm system.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
We canceled our land line recently, when we found out we could get a "cell phone" device for the alarm system.
This sounds interesting. Perhaps a call to my alarm monitoring company is in order. If I can ditch the land line and have stand-alone DSL, I'll do it quick.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 05-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 794
I am in Vegas. I have Century Link's $30/month for 10mb/down. It is just ok. Download is fine, but on weekends and nights it goes noticeably slower. There are times where I can't play video games because of the lag. Upload is particularly bad, but that doesn't affect me all that often.

For what it's worth, I don't have a land line. It is DSL, but at least here they don't require me to have phone service.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,961
Century Link just took over here as well. I decided to upgrade for what was claimed to be a lower cost and combine Verison Wireless and Direct TV in the same service. Since cutting over to the upgraded services my service keeps dropping out. The wireless DSL modems they use for higher speed links are shit. Been calling them a couple of times a week and they cannot resolve the problem. They sent me new hardware in an attempt to shotgun the problem. No change. Not only that but my combined bill for bundling was $30 dollars higher than it was paying seperatly. It may have been a half month of Direct TV while the billing cut over. If I see the same thing on the next bill I'll be canceling everything and looking for another solution. Not a happy customer at this point.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I've been a Qwest customer pretty loyally since 2005. Decent service, less decent bandwidth but it worked fine for me. Ever since the change over to Century Link my stupid internet has gotten slower and slower. I had the 1.5Mbs service the whole time and it's been fine until the last month or so where it seems slower every day. A speed test last night revealed my download speed to be 0.50Mbs. I swear these assholes are slowing it down on purpose to force me to upgrade and that really pisses me off. It's now gotten to the point where I can't even stream NetFlix over it anymore -- it stops to buffer every 10 minutes. Extremely annoying and it NEVER used to do that.

Anyway, I have to have a landline phone for my alarm system -- otherwise I don't use it at all.

What I simply cannot figure out in their stupid pricing/promotional structure is how much the 7Mbs service plus basic phone (no long distance or any frills) costs. Anyone have this who can tell me the REAL monthly cost? Even calling them is no help because in my previous experience they tell you one thing on the phone repeatedly and then your bill shows up and it's completely different (much higher).

I wish I had other options for phone + internet, but the land line thing is tying me down pretty badly.
What about a CDMA option of the alarm. Allows monitoring and gets you out of the antiquated landline deal.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
This sounds interesting. Perhaps a call to my alarm monitoring company is in order. If I can ditch the land line and have stand-alone DSL, I'll do it quick.
Yeah, those are CDMA options, a very basic cell phone built into the device for nothing other than monitoring. Did some looking around at one time, I think i was seeing that option for $20 or less per month. Beats heck out of a landline.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,183
Centurylink sucks...always has....speeds are nowhere near advertised...need to put in a service request every few months...only option at my home..(other than a cell service for internet)
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
I have Century-Link, local only land line (for the alarm) and the 5 Mb/sec download package.

$86.23 a month!

I would drop them in a heartbeat if I could, but they are the only option for "high" speed internet where I live. In the afternoons I only get half the advertised speed on a good day. Ping in consistently over 100 ms, and often in the 300 ms range which makes anything other than browsing a futile attempt. Also, about once every 30 minutes the modem just randomly looses connection to the DSL service. It has done this ever since I moved here, doesn't matter if I am plugged into my router or the DSL modem itself. If I happen to be playing an online game I instantly get kicked out. The outage will last about 30 seconds then I can rejoin or start another game. I have pretty much stopped playing online games due to this (not entirely a bad thing I admit, but still something I would like to do on occasion).

I have called several times, and keep geting told "Sorry sir, there is nothing wrong with our service, it is common for all types of internet to have "slow-downs" during peak times." Seems like that is there out for the lousy service. What they don't mention is that there are reports out there that say they are pretty much the lousiest.

Anyway, $86.23 a month is what I pay. I think that breaks down to around $40 a month for the internet, and $25 or so for the local land line. The rest is all the "taxes" and other fees you have to pay on telephone service.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I have Century-Link, local only land line (for the alarm) and the 5 Mb/sec download package.

$86.23 a month!

I would drop them in a heartbeat if I could, but they are the only option for "high" speed internet where I live. In the afternoons I only get half the advertised speed on a good day. Ping in consistently over 100 ms, and often in the 300 ms range which makes anything other than browsing a futile attempt. Also, about once every 30 minutes the modem just randomly looses connection to the DSL service. It has done this ever since I moved here, doesn't matter if I am plugged into my router or the DSL modem itself. If I happen to be playing an online game I instantly get kicked out. The outage will last about 30 seconds then I can rejoin or start another game. I have pretty much stopped playing online games due to this (not entirely a bad thing I admit, but still something I would like to do on occasion).

I have called several times, and keep geting told "Sorry sir, there is nothing wrong with our service, it is common for all types of internet to have "slow-downs" during peak times." Seems like that is there out for the lousy service. What they don't mention is that there are reports out there that say they are pretty much the lousiest.

Anyway, $86.23 a month is what I pay. I think that breaks down to around $40 a month for the internet, and $25 or so for the local land line. The rest is all the "taxes" and other fees you have to pay on telephone service.
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. That's what I was afraid of. I'm paying $64/month for my 1.5Mbs and local phone. The local phone is ridiculously expensive,even "bundled." Pisses me off. Fuck Century link.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,577
I live in the country and Internet service was a big problem for me. Then I found Grande Communications, which sell wifi based internet to the countryside. They prob cover an area over 500 sq miles.

Companies like these have found a successful biz model selling 5 mbps speeds at approx $40 per month.

Sure, they're at risk should 4g take off, but maybe something like this would work for you.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. That's what I was afraid of. I'm paying $64/month for my 1.5Mbs and local phone. The local phone is ridiculously expensive,even "bundled." Pisses me off. Fuck Century link.
I would hope that since part of their business model for growth was to buy up smaller regional carriers that maybe CenturyLink in your area would be of better quality. Sounds like from this thread though that it may be a company wide issue?

Here is a speed test result I did about 5 minutes ago. 9:18 PM central time. I would not be able to play any online games with this result, and the quality of online streaming like Netflix or MLB.tv really suffers. Oh, I have the 5 Mb/sec download plan for reference.

RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: