Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #181
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
No problem I told Frank there might be some interest in the Mk2 Pivot adaptors, so providing the new design works out ok and the costing is reasonable it shouldn't be a problem to make up a few extra sets. I'll post up the progress in couple of weeks.

+1 on the call for photo's of your build up GSD4Me
Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #182
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,062
Bugger. Had a look at my bike today and those footpeg extensions won`t work as I will be using an after market side stand which will foul on them.

I`ve given up trying to put photos on this site, but if you have a look at the below link you will see the bike as of today. Anyone interested in joining the group is welcome, after all, if they let me join, anyone else should have no trouble. There will be regular updates of the build as things progress.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/AirheadsAustralia/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 12:15 AM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #183
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar83 View Post
No problem I told Frank there might be some interest in the Mk2 Pivot adaptors, so providing the new design works out ok and the costing is reasonable it shouldn't be a problem to make up a few extra sets. I'll post up the progress in couple of weeks.
That's good news - thanks.

Not sure if there is a difference in the mounting but when I ordered a couple of months ago the piece was PP-12MK3.

Side and center stands are oem, bike is 84 R80gspd.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #184
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Been tinkering with the setup as one does. Adjusting the lights in the Britannia Composites fairing as they were pointing skyward after the front suspension was fixed. I'll get the bike out one night this weekend and see how the lights perform.
Also need to have a play with the front suspension settings, WR450 cartridges have been fitted with Compression adjustment on the right fork and rebound on the left. Its certainly much firmer since the work was done and possibly needs easing off a little as I am not riding fully loaded (fuel 43L or panniers spec'd at 30Kg fully loaded).

I have also been meaning to weigh the beast. I heard from a couple of sources that a set of bathroom scales can be used to weigh each end alternately, then add the 2 weights together and you have a fairly accurate measure. So I gave it a try, I used my own weight as a reference to test the scales and they were good. The combined front/back weight came in at 195kg dry without tools and tail bag thats ok!

I looked up the specs for the R80g/s and was surprised to see its dry weight listed at 186Kg without tools
So i searched up the weights for HPN's and found the listed dry weight to be 190Kg so 195Kg for the beastie was not so bad, though I am wondering where that extra 5kg is squirreled away perhaps its the Bosch starter motor (thats on its way out) I believe the Valeo is half the weight but not as reliable? I have a Valeo in my parts bin so I am contemplating giving it a go.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #185
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
I looked up the specs for the R80g/s and was surprised to see its dry weight listed at 186Kg without tools
So i searched up the weights for HPN's and found the listed dry weight to be 190Kg so 195Kg for the beastie was not so bad, though I am wondering where that extra 5kg is squirreled away perhaps its the Bosch starter motor (thats on its way out) I believe the Valeo is half the weight but not as reliable? I have a Valeo in my parts bin so I am contemplating giving it a go.
Fit a Nippondenso starter, a lot more reliable than a failure prone Valeo and lighter.
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #186
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Been tinkering with the setup as one does. Adjusting the lights in the Britannia Composites fairing as they were pointing skyward after the front suspension was fixed. I'll get the bike out one night this weekend and see how the lights perform.
Also need to have a play with the front suspension settings, WR450 cartridges have been fitted with Compression adjustment on the right fork and rebound on the left. Its certainly much firmer since the work was done and possibly needs easing off a little as I am not riding fully loaded (fuel 43L or panniers spec'd at 30Kg fully loaded).

I have also been meaning to weigh the beast. I heard from a couple of sources that a set of bathroom scales can be used to weigh each end alternately, then add the 2 weights together and you have a fairly accurate measure. So I gave it a try, I used my own weight as a reference to test the scales and they were good. The combined front/back weight came in at 195kg dry without tools and tail bag thats ok!

I was only 2kg off with my guess, 225kg - 32kg (43lt fuel) = 193kg
I don't know where numbers for HPN are coming from.
My bike scales 198kg -32kg (43lt fuel) - 2 kg tools incl. tank wallet - 1kg tailbag = 163.kg
Startermotor
Bosch 5kg verified
Valeo 3.6kg verified
Nippondenso 2.8kg vendor data
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #187
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Bulldust, the new Nippondenso starter arrived yesterday. It was easy to fit, so much easier than maneuvering the Bosch starter in and out of place.

Being lighter and shorter than the Bosch I assume it doesn't require the triangular bracket that was in place for the rear of the Bosch unit?, so it's only secured by the two main 10mm mounting bolts.

Time for the test and it spun the motor easily, nice and quiet after the rattling cans sound of the old Bosch

That's the Bosch top of picture next to a Valero which is only slightly heavier than the Nippondenso. I should have taken a photo of the Bosch and Nippondenso side by side before fitting but I was just too excited to get installed and fire up the beast again! So the photo was an after thought.

Now roll on Sunday so I can go for a ride!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #188
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Being lighter and shorter than the Bosch I assume it doesn't require the triangular bracket that was in place for the rear of the Bosch unit?, so it's only secured by the two main 10mm mounting bolts.
The valeo doesn't use that plate either.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #189
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today I had the footpegs off to do some more thinking about the design for the Pivot Pegz hangers.
I knew the current Pivot Pegz system was a bit on the heavy side, but decided to weigh them while they were off.

Here is the PP setup, with Mk3 Pegz

Weight 758gms !!! each side

By comparison the SWT pegs

No pivot action but only 248gms per side

So changing the Pegs back to SWT's saves 1 kg

To be fair most of the weight is in the Pivot Pegz themselves and not he hangers.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #190
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 582
Pivot Peg Hangers

just picked up on this dialogue for peg hangers.

Had been living with 30mm lowered OEMs, which give more legroom when sitting but suck when standing because they are too narrow.

Now have some Touratech 20mm lowered wide pegs which are far better on the trail.

Have bought some pivot pegs, but did not put them on yet as I did not want to be pushed back up to stock, and then have to go an rethink through things like extending further the handlebar risers to compensate.

Have you managed to sort out a rear folding mechanism?

The pivot looks really offset in the photo, was this out of deliberate choice, or space necessity?

Ras Thurlo screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 05:08 AM
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #191
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Ras

The pivots sit in the same position as the SWT pegs, that is set back and down
Its enough to make room for size 11 offload boots to fit clear of carbs and without needing to adjust the length of the stock brake and gear levers. It also makes for a more comfortable riding position.

Above photo not my bike, will take some pics in the daytime to show distances from SWT pegs to controls.

I am working on a revised Pivot Pegz hanger just haven't had time to get to the fabricators. I will post up some picks as soon as Mk2 hangers are tested.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #192
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not sure how well these pics will come out. But here is the MKII pivot Pegz hanger
It allows the peg to fold back and of course pivot. It can be adjusted for height through 4 positions due to the use of 2 unequal spacers per side. Currently set down 8mm per side (not 8mm from stock, just from this designs highest point)

I have not made up return springs for the Pegz yet, just trying them out first.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #193
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Should have added, the peg hanger is made from a single strip of stainless pressed into an S shape, then drilled to allow one high tensile 8mm bolt to pass through the whole assembly. The weight is carried on the stainless hanger pressing down on the original peg mounts. So is does not modify the original mounts and I can return to using original pegs or the SWT's

The only problem for anyone else wanting to try this is that the space between the outside edges of original peg mount needs to be measured and used to set the gap of the stainless hanger top bend. My frame had reinforced brackets so the gap is slightly wider than stock.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #194
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Good Stuff!

I want one!
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #195
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,597
Quote:
Here are a couple more pictures of the white HPM

Oh man....beautiful...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)