Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #31
Hulked Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
I saw one of these bikes recently and fell in love with it. I know virtually nothing about Airheads, but I'm eager to follow this build-up. Subscribed.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #32
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Thanks for subscribing folks,

Next tyre choice: Mitas Dakar E09D's, here is the pitch from the distributors site
E-09 'Adventure' and E-09 'Dakar': Tough cross-ply construction and an aggressive block tread make it supremely capable in difficult terrains like sand, mud and loose rock. Already a superb high-performance off-road rally tyre, Mitas recently reinforced the carcass and upgraded the compound to produce the (almost indestructible) Dakar version. Choose the regular ('Adventure') version where easy fitting & removal or minimal unsprung weight are important, while the beefier 'Dakar' version offers improved puncture and chip resistance and is a better choice for serious riding in Australian off-road conditions. To help reduce confusion, we use the designations E09A and E09D to differentiate between the two. Telling them apart when new is easy: the Dakar version has a yellow stripe on the tread.

Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #33
ontic

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar83 View Post
Here is the standard caliper and adaptor pictured next to the new rotor

Here is the Spacer plate on order

Great project!

Are those forks really WP50's? I haven't seen those fork lowers before- they look quite different to any I have seen online before.
I've seen two different fork lowers that differ in their caliper bracket lugs only, the forks like mine that came with 260mm rotors, and forks from other ktms that came with 300mm rotors.
You can see both in a post I made from the Unholy Union II thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=192
basically the 300mm equipped forks had lugs that stuck out further. Yours have entirely different fork lowers (with a little KTM logo and all). I'm just interested as these are the forks I've gone with and intend to keep for a very long time so I want to know everything I can about them.

I also thought those HE relocation brackets were to move the stock bracket for a 260mm rotor out in order to fit a 320mm rotor? Maybe they make one for 260-300 as well. As I never actually had a stock caliper bracket on hand, I've knocked together my own caliper bracket thing (out of two later brackets for USD forks) for a 320mm rotor that I am using with the KTM brembo master cylinder.
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...5042012277.jpg
Seems very 'responsive' on the road but no time on the dirt yet. It seemed to handle a full knobby on wet bitumen without being too sensitive, so I think it should be OK for the dirt too. Hardwaregrrl who posted before is running a 320mm rotor (with G/S master cylinder I think) and has a fair bit of time in the dirt with it.

Anyway, love your work. It is looking fantastic. I've been subscribed since your first post, but it was time for a post.
Cheers,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #34
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Ontic

To the best of my knowledge they are WP50 extremes. They are date stamped June 98 on the casting and came off a 98 LC4 640 Adventure or possibly a 620 see pic from the KTM parts catalogue below.

Here is a pic of the only information cast onto the sliders.

Good to hear that your bike handles the 320 rotor well, that may be the way I have to go. I think the standard 260mm rotor just won't be enough.

So far I have seen 3 variations on the WP50 fork caliper mountings.
The type depicted below that I think ran to 1997, it has 60mm spaced caliper mounting points. I have these

The later 1998 onwards version that is by far the most common with a 90mm spacing between the caliper mounting points

What looks like an older ie pre 97 version that I have only seen once, posted somewhere on this forum.

Dakar83 screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 02:56 AM
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #35
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The gear box off the donor bike, a 1983 plate was actually stamped 1989 so it must have been changed out in the past. Decided to use this one and leave the 85 PD's gear box for its restoration but use its non matching motor (hope that wasn't too confusing)

Dave cleaned up and reconditioned the box which was actually in really good shape. Dropped in a 5% lower 1st gear and a 5% higher 5th. Here it is..

Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #36
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Time to take the donor motor out of the 85PD

Dave opens her up and checks it out
The bottom end is all new, as are the pots and high compression pistons. It just needs a new timing chain and gaskets. Will also add twin sparked gas flowed heads and a sump extension and oil cooler. It gets hot out here!

Oh also installed stainless push rod tubes and new rubbers. A heavy duty clutch spring and oil resistant clutch plate.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #37
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice new paint job and boxes of shiny new bits!

Time to put the engine into the frame.

Dave had to modify the center stand spring hangers to clear the sump extension. He did a really neat job!

Then fitted the enduralast alternator and the oil cooler

Moving along well now and up to date with progress. I'll post again when there is more to report.

PS excuse typos this is all posted from my phone and the keyboard is a wee bit small

Dakar83 screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 04:31 AM
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #38
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,659
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #39
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,716
I'm with her! Nicely done!

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #40
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not much more to report Dave's flat out with work

New switches and desert colored grips, complete with finger prints!
I am not sure about the grip color, still easy enough to change if they don't work out.

The bean can replacement cover arrived, nice looking piece and fits well.

Also been looking for a fender extender for the rear baja guard, something to shield the battery. HPN advertise an under seat 4.5L water tank made of polyethylene. It also acts as a battery guard so this would be the go and also allow water to be carried down low rather than in a bottle in the soft bags.

Hope to get a few hours in this weekend
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #41
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
nice
subscribed
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #42
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A little progress...

The Baja fenders have been mounted

and the stainless Zach's exhaust system has been fitted.

Next
I want to use the Aluminum air box off an R90S, with the rear drilled for extra airflow. I like the way it looks and I think it will breathe better than the plastic snorkel box that is normally used on the G/S

The headlight and cockpit assembly is a Lynx unit from Britannia Composites in Canada which will get a Vapour digital speedo.

The rear Baja fender does not extend down to protect the battery area from Roost, so may have to make something up for this area until I can get a longer term solution like the HPN Water tank
Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #43
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
Looks great.

I like your 'impulsive' style.

hardwaregrrl - I'm guessing the pics are showing up now.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #44
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone, I can't wait for the first ride!
In fact I can't wait to hear her running!! It's been year or more in the making and hopefully only another 2-3 weeks away.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #45
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Looks great.

I like your 'impulsive' style.

hardwaregrrl - I'm guessing the pics are showing up now.
Me too!!! And oh yes....I can see them.!!!! Must've been a photo site error.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote