Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #76
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Saturday morning at the BMR Workshop

Showing the clours

The owner of the 223 genuine miles R80g/s was there, Steve from Boyup Brook.

He plans to put a 43L tank on it for range, some knobbies and then head off outback. Sounds like great ride Youanmi mine, Sandstone, goldfields etc. This bike is going to see a lot of red dirt!

The other HPN in the picture belongs to Mike, it has the single headlight and the Paris Dakar decals

This is Dave next to the subject of this thread the 1st HPM, Kudos to Dave for an amazing job!

Next shot is the Happy customer about to ride off....

Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #77
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
Mike:

Quote:
The other HPN in the picture belongs to Mike, it has the single headlight and the Paris Dakar decals
the "HPN" has written Perth Darwin on the 43lt tank and the one with Paris Dakar on the standard tank is your bike you came to Daves work shop this morning, but we all understand you are drunk on emotions picking up your new baby after 18 months of anticipation with 75 hours labour.
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #78
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You got me there Mike !
Old 06-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #79
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-oz View Post
as soon BJ's bike is finished we three should take a ride down south and catch up with him, I never met the bloke but some older club members know him in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar83 View Post
Sounds like a great idea, let's do it!

Fred`s brother Andreas is a good bloke, If you`re going to make the effort, you may as well look him up as well.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #80
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Went for a ride today!

Its been a bit quiet on the update front, been busy.....riding

Took the HPM out today, so far its been all bitumen while we get used to each other, sort out any differences etc. You know that feeling you get when you ride a different bike for the first time?, it just feels different and it takes a while to get used to how it feels. Well the first ride on the HPM had a bit of that but no where near as much as I would have expected. It was really easy to ride and get a feel for. Apart from the very limited turning circle (only a problem in the garage) and very leaky front forks it rides beautifully. The front forks probably need a rebuild, I think they are the only component on the whole bike that hasn't already had that treatment. They probably need stiffer springs too for the extra weight, of the bike of course

So having a few 100km under our belt today felt like a good day to introduce a bit of dirt. Take note all those who thought it would never see a dirt road!
I planned an easy half day route through some nice country side that by memory would involve a relatively short gravel and sand section that I have ridden once before a few years back. My thinking is to take it easy and not just jump in for a full day on dirt especially knowing the front shocks still need work.

Well when I arrived at the said sandy section I found it pretty chewed up, looks like the 4wd's and the Quads have been playing out that way (Warbrook Rd out the back of Gnangarra). The road surface varied considerably from relatively hard packed gravel to very chewed up soft sand with wheel ruts and whoops in between. I started a little cautiously not really knowing what to expect. My first impression was the bike is amazingly stable at low speed in these conditions. My R1200GSA tends to feel unstable under about 80km in this sort of dirt it likes a bit more speed. The HPM by contrast was very stable and manageable all the way through from start to 80 (told you I was going to take it easy day one). So off we went quickly becoming more comfortable and confident. I stopped to take some photos but my Iphone camera wouldn't work with gloved fingers and these gloves were a pain to get on an off, it was cooold this morning so I was wearing gloves that fit under sleeve and have a gauntlet that zip over as well. Was having too much fun to stop and undo them for a photo-sorry!

When I came across the first deep sandy section I was thinking ok what feedback am I going to get, will the sand try and wrestle the bike off course will I need to wind on the power to keep things tidy. To my surprise it tracked perfectly, there was no wrestling with the bars no need to apply more than a modest bit of throttle. It tracked through with absolute stability and minimum of fuss. Hey I like!
A few more sandy sections and the same results. The engine was effortless I left it in third most of the way and had no need to change gear the engine just pulled smoothly and felt really relaxed.

Later through the bitumen twisty's it performed just as well purring along at 100km/h doing 3900rpm in 5th and just flowing through the bends. I'm really pleased so far, had a great morning out and everything felt good.
Its running a lower 1st and higher 5th hear which I am really pleased with. In first I can let the clutch out and apply no throttle and the bike will chug along like a land rover at a fast walking pace even up a gentle slope with no sign of stalling or straining.

Based on today's experience I am looking forward to taking the HPM on a longer dirt ride, it could do with slightly lower and rear set foot pegs so that standing on the pegs is more comfortable. I have already fitted 25mm risers and cant go higher without messing with the cables. Dave is going to investigate some new springs and seals for the forks which can be done when the bike goes back for its 1000km service.

BJ's HPM (the white one in my earlier photo's) is now coming along quickly and should be on the road later this month. He has the additional 7.5L fuel tank mounted in place of a pillion seat, so it looks a little different, but good!
I'll make an effort to get some pictures for the next post.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #81
Reklaw59
Softroader

Oddometer: 184
Cool2 Perth/Darwin HPN

(slight thread hijack)

Got to work this morning, and there was the Perth/Darwin HPN in the carpark.
drool, drool slobber!
Reklaw59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #82
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I called in at the BMR workshop today BJ's HPM is nearing completion, it's going off to the exhaust shop to have a collector manufactured

(pic to be replaced)

It's different in Many ways to HPM01, this one HPM02 has the auxiliary fuel tank (another 7.5l) a Magura hydraulic clutch, customized wiring harness, twin sparked 800cc motor. The sub frame upper supports have been slightly shortened to lift the auxiliary tank slightly. Mainly to align the auxiliary tank with the main tank.

I like this mod to the carburettor float bowls. Just incase they come loose!

I have been riding HPM01 a fair bit over the last 2 weeks, it's just compelling. On Saturday I dropped it off at an alloy fabricators to have some pannier frames made up. So on Sunday I was back on the R1200GSA, I love the big GSA and for some time have maintained if I could only have one bike it would be that one. Well after 2 weeks on the HPM the GSA felt big and heavy. I was sitting in the bike not on it. The HPM is so much lighter and more agile, you look at a line and your already turned/tuned into it. On the GSA more input and weight adjustment is required. On the HPM it feels like you are sitting up on the bike, much like the DR650, with it's Seargent seat and bulk the GSA is feeling more like a tourer not sitting up on it but sitting within it. It took a few km to get used to the extra weight again.

I still love the GSA it's super comfortable, powerful and smooth, the HPM is just a completely different yet familiar beast. At the outset I hoped the HPM would sit between the GSA and the DR650, hopefully closer to the DR off road but more comfortable on the long bitumen hauls.

So far it's certainly lighter and more off road capable than the GSA, and definitely better on road than the DR :-) by miles!
This weekend I will get back on the DR and see how it feels in comparison.

I called into the fabricators today, the pannier frames and a new side stand are done and I am really pleased with the outcome. I took the pannier frames from the GSA along and asked Frank if he could replicate them but to fit the HPM. That way I could transfer my GSA panniers between the bikes if wanted. I also wanted to be able to fit a set of Steel Pony soft bags, which I anticipate using more often. But they would need some additional support points. Franks work is amazing the panniers fit beautifully and yet when they are off the frames don't look bulky and awkward. I'll put up some pictures this weekend.

Next I want to get the bike over a weigh bridge. Then get the soft and leaky front forks overhauled. Even with the front suspension out of sorts it's still great to ride and puts a smile on my face. I can't wait to get them overhauled and see how it handles when correctly set up.

I suppose it's still early days but the ergonomics, performance and handling of this bike have already exceeded my hopes. I totally understand why so many others have gone down this path and raved about it.

Dakar83 screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 01:31 AM Reason: remove rego number iin pic
Old 07-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #83
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar83 View Post
a Magura hydraulic clutch
Any idea what make/model the magura clutch master/slave combo came off of? I looked into the available retrofit kits they sell a while back, but couldn't find one with enough pull length to work on an airhead.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #84
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,473
Do you HPN-istas know if its possible to just acquire an HPN centerstand?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #85
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Do you HPN-istas know if its possible to just acquire an HPN centerstand?
Boxer Supplies does a 345mm one.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #86
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Boxer Supplies does a 345mm one.
260 euro? Holy madone!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #87
Beater
Breakin' Somethin'

Oddometer: 2,737
Wow .... I don't think I've ever SEEN one .. let alone have three lined up next to each other. Does Australia simply have more HPN's than the rest ot the world?

Bravo, of course ... but holy crap that's cool.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:05 AM   #88
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello AW, I don't know the information on that clutch off hand but I am calling in to BMR later this week and I will find out for you. I know dave had to make an extension for the actuator end though I think it was quite easy, I'll try and get a picture of it.

Stagehand the center stand on HPM01 & 02 was made by a fabricator in Perth, but I did see one offered on a German site http://www.swt-sports.de, it was pricey though.259 Euro. they also offer the HPN frame reinforcing kit
Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #89
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,855
Both those prices include German taxes at 19%, which would not be charged for export. So EUR209.25.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #90
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
260 euro? Holy madone!
Get a new one from here and mod it to suit. look under special offers. 24 pounds
http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote