User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
aeholton OP
R100S

Oddometer: 55
Question R100S cylinder gasket/seal kits

I have a 1987 R80S w/ 1000 cc jugs. Have some oil beginning to weep around the right side cylinder base and the bottom of the pushrod tubes. Anyone know of any gasket/seal kits available online (preferably here in the USA)? Thanks for any links you can provide.

Also, the 1000cc upgrade was done before I bought the bike. I don't have any experience removing the heads, cylinders and pushrods. I would appreciate any hints or tips before I tear into this.
aeholton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,286
I'm doubly confused by this. There never was an R80S, but there was an R100S, but they stopped making them in 1979. That said, they all share the same cylinder base o-rings and pushrod tube seals. Get them online at Maxbmw.com or any BMW dealership should have them or at least be able to order them for you. Be sure the o-rings don't get pinched when you slide the cylinders on. A light smear of grease will keep them in place during assembly. It's pretty straightforward work, but a copy of Oak's top end manual is a good read if you've never done it before. Head stud nuts are easy to over torque if you use the factory spec. Read up.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 02:02 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
aeholton OP
R100S

Sorry. Originally an R80RT. Has S fairing now. Previous owner installed 1000cc Nikasil jugs.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
Be sure to distinguish between weeping and leaking. Weeping is normal, just wash it off and ride on. Leaking needs to be addressed before it gets significant.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Moto-bins in the UK has kits. Not bad prices and shipping is faster than here in the states.

http://www.motobins.co.uk/

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
I still don't see the big attraction on buying items from England when they're available new right here in the USA.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
No attraction buying from England. I usually buy local, or mail order in the US. But I couldn't find gasket kits along with all the other stuff I needed here (piston sets, timing chain sets, valve sets, etc.), and the dealer is 90 miles away ( I was sure to forget something). So if I'm going to mail order any way, the convenience of ordering them with a few clicks of the mouse, vs piecing it out from a dealer's site.......well.

I have always had good service from Max's and order almost all of my parts through them. Again, it's convenience, They have the Fiche. So you could try them.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

And they send M&M's!

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.

batoutoflahonda screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 09:45 AM
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
I still don't see the big attraction on buying items from England when they're available new right here in the USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
No attraction buying from England. I usually buy local, or mail order in the US. But I couldn't find gasket kits along with all the other stuff I needed here (piston sets, timing chain sets, valve sets, etc.), and the dealer is 90 miles away ( I was sure to forget something). So if I'm going to mail order any way, the convenience of ordering them with a few clicks of the mouse, vs piecing it out from a dealer's site.......well.

I have always had good service from Max's and order almost all of my parts through them. Again, it's convenience, They have the Fiche. So you could try them.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

And they send M&M's!

Support your US based companies. You will bitch and moan when there gone. As far as a gasket kit just get the individual gaskets. If you need help figuring out what you need just ask for help
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,340
Quote:
The big attraction is that many of us have tight household budgets and children and the like. I wish I was wealthy and could give a shit if I spent 50% more for a part, but that's just not the world I live in. Congratulations to you if $50 here and a $100 there doesn't matter, but that's just not the case for most people. Never mind that we're talking about foreign made parts for a foreign made motorcycle.

Hell, most of us are assholes for working on our own bikes. Better men would pay someone to do the work. Every time you change the oil yourself, you're depriving someone of a chance to feed their family. Don't even think about how many mortgages and health insurance bills a good engine overhaul or restoration might cover. Think of the children!

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
If you use a very light smear of BMW Dreibond, or Yamabond type sealant on the cylinder crankcase join, then you are much less likely to have further leakage. I would also suggest replacing the pushrod tube rubbers at the same time as they also deteriorate with time.

As always be very careful with the seal around the upper crankcase bolts.

Depending one how you do the job you will need head gaskets as well.

Charles
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
aeholton OP
R100S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
If you use a very light smear of BMW Dreibond, or Yamabond type sealant on the cylinder crankcase join, then you are much less likely to have further leakage. I would also suggest replacing the pushrod tube rubbers at the same time as they also deteriorate with time.

As always be very careful with the seal around the upper crankcase bolts.

Depending one how you do the job you will need head gaskets as well.

Charles
Thank you. I've decided to buy the parts individually since I wasn't able to find a kit that looked like it had what I needed.

I think I need to order the following parts:

Nikasil Cylinder base O-ring (x2)
Pushrod seals (x4)
Head gasket (x2)
Valve cover gasket (x2)

Am I forgetting anything?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
The list looks good to me, a torque wrench and a piston ring compressor will make getting pistons back into the cylinders easier.

Charles

PS I also use a smear of the sealing compound around on the pushrod rubbers helps
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary View Post
The big attraction is that many of us have tight household budgets and children and the like. I wish I was wealthy and could give a shit if I spent 50% more for a part, but that's just not the world I live in. Congratulations to you if $50 here and a $100 there doesn't matter, but that's just not the case for most people. Never mind that we're talking about foreign made parts for a foreign made motorcycle.

Hell, most of us are assholes for working on our own bikes. Better men would pay someone to do the work. Every time you change the oil yourself, you're depriving someone of a chance to feed their family. Don't even think about how many mortgages and health insurance bills a good engine overhaul or restoration might cover. Think of the children!
Yeah, well I made a whopping 12K last year. Selling parts. In America.
If you consider that "wealthy" then good for you.
I only order overseas when I absolutely have to. Which almost never happens. The point being stressed here, which I think you missed, is that buying in your own country doesn't mean you have to buy at the dealership. There are plenty of independent shops (like mine) eager to meet the needs of customers at sometimes better prices.
The noobs look to others for guidance and too often I see an automatic response of " Motobins" or "Uli's" spouted off to the new person.
If you compare prices, you'll often see that parts can be had for the same or less right here in our own backyard.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
outfit
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
Moto-bins in the UK has kits. Not bad prices and shipping is faster than here in the states.

http://www.motobins.co.uk/
Perhap's some of the blame game can be laid at the door's of your postal service.
outfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,340
Quote:
Yeah, well I made a whopping 12K last year. Selling parts. In America.
If you consider that "wealthy" then good for you.
I only order overseas when I absolutely have to. Which almost never happens. The point being stressed here, which I think you missed, is that buying in your own country doesn't mean you have to buy at the dealership. There are plenty of independent shops (like mine) eager to meet the needs of customers at sometimes better prices.
The noobs look to others for guidance and too often I see an automatic response of " Motobins" or "Uli's" spouted off to the new person.
If you compare prices, you'll often see that parts can be had for the same or less right here in our own backyard.
That's wealthy compared to someone. Somewhere.

That point wasn't missed but you've repeatedly stated that you don't understand why people would buy from motobins. On many things, there's a savings in money and time. What's hard to understand about that?

But I'll bite. WHERE should we be ordering from?
I priced things at the seeming usual places (e.g. Hucky's), but it still made a good bit more sense for my wallet and clock to just go to Motobins.

FWIW, I live in what might be the buy local capital of the USA. We buy locally made and produced products when we can. We buy from brick and mortar when we can. Hell, we've just about stopped eating eggs that didn't come out of a friend's backyard. But that's not always possible or reasonable.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote