Old 05-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
GSFREEK OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Pissed F800GS vs Renault Espace

http://imageshack.us/g/191/img0061rge.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/g/717/img0089px.jpg/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBGHhCo-f8&feature=plcp

This is me and my bike before and after some complete moron decided to make a U-turn and put his car over the complete width of my driving lane.... god i'm pissed !!!!

There was no way to avoid the hit, all there was to do was damage control. Aimed for the lowest point (the hood)
and prepared myself for an impressive flight. half a meter more to the right would have been a pretty certain death.

- bike = wasted
- body feels like it has been run over by a truck.....10 times
- shoulder dislocated for fu+++++ 6 hours when they finally put me to sleep for surgery!
- wrist is internally smashed into pieces with e realistic chance on permanent damage! : 1 emergency surgery done last monday, next monday more metal works on it, just_great
- all planned bike trips down the drain, maybe forever.. !

The worst i find in all this is the seemingly complete uninterest of the car driver. i have been in hospital for the past week, without hearing a word from him. All i know is that when i would practically kill somebody by my own stupidity, i would at least check up on my 'victim' and apologies..... sad world...

Riding my bike every day was the thing i loved the most! It made me feel free and took me to nice places.
I still don't know if i will be able to ever ride again and buy another bike, for now i'm just pretty sad, angry,bored, in pain and needed to ventilate. ;)

DRIVE SAFE GUYS ! THRUST NOBODY IN TRAFFIC !

GSFREEK screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 07:13 AM
GSFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Damn I'm sorry to hear about your injuries. From the looks of the bike and car it could have been a lot worse.

I wish you a full recovery.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
katanarama
riding > posting

Oddometer: 182
Very sorry to read about your injuries and smashed up bike.

I would not expect that driver to come and visit you. As much as it was traumatic for you, that person is probably not feeling that good about what happened either. Probably too worried to visit you I would say.

get well brother, start planning your next trips and which bike you will get next.

katanarama screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 03:11 PM Reason: to should be too
katanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Get well soon! It sounds like the type of accident we all dread--a car doing something completely unexpected out of the blue.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,293
Hope it works out.
Its amazing what they can fix these days, so keep up hope.
One of the really annoying things about my bad dirt crash was having a LOT of time off and not being able to ride.

The accident seems a common one, quite a few reports here of people on the side of the road making a U turn just when a bike is passing.
When I see someone on the side of the road without a reason, I slow down and expect trouble.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
exotesthrasouden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Spirts

Keep your spirits up brother, you gotta believe that you'll heal up, so start planning your next trip!

Those are some narly pictures from the crash.

Get well soon.

Ryan

- 2009 BMW F800GS
exotesthrasouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
stay positive bro!
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
pfloydgad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Keep a stiff upper lip

And I hope your Attorney has come and visited you. I would hang that asshat by the nearest No U-Turn sign.
Heal-up, take it slow and sue him for everything he has had, has, and will have.
Good luck.
Ride safe all.
Greg
pfloydgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Rakthi
mopetista

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloydgad View Post
And I hope your Attorney has come and visited you. I would hang that asshat by the nearest No U-Turn sign.
Heal-up, take it slow and sue him for everything he has had, has, and will have.
Good luck.
Ride safe all.
Greg
He's in Belgium ... no attorney, no court case ... can't sue for everything they have ... Will be sorted out by insurance companies.
At least they have excellent and affordable healthcare.
Rakthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
The police may charge the driver with dangerous driving or similar, maybe even causing injury through reckless driving. He may get a fine of a few thousand 's, unlikely to go to jail unfortunately.

The victim will get money for his injuries but assuming that Belgian insurers conform to the standard they'll do everything possible to wriggle out of paying, at least minimising what they pay due to "the riders contributory negligence" i.e. he failed to psychically devine that the driver was a total incompetent arse.

Shame you couldn't go straight through the drivers door and cause him/her some pain as well!!!!

I hope that you heal fully GSFreek.
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
GSFREEK OP
Adventurer

thanks guys.

Accidents happen and i will not say i'm perfect. I don't blame the guy for what he did, he made a mistake wich is human, I only blame him for not having contacted me in some way.
I have no idea what statement he made to the cops, If i find out he twisted the story, it will get personal and i will sue him for whatever reason possible.

@packer: I would feel better if i had hurt him...just a little bit..
Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
sorry to hear man. Anything you could have done to avoid it?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
GSFREEK OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
sorry to hear man. Anything you could have done to avoid it?
I could have gambled to go on the opposit lane, with a chance of him turning further onto that lane, and an head-on collision as result. I chose not to.
I also didn't feel like planting my face in the side of his car, so the hood was the only option. I would do just the same again.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
skag
ResistsEnlightenment

Oddometer: 350
You are alive to tell about it. From the looks of things you could have come out a lot worse. Concentrate on healing, physicaly and emotionaly. The injuries I have accrued over the years (non riding ironicaly) make riding painful. The endorphine realease form riding over rides the pain. You will get back. Heal up man.
skag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
RydRy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
so sorry to hear about this and yes Id be ticked off too no word from the driver- makes it clear you arent a human to him
RydRy is offline   Reply With Quote