Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Trying to push a semi back into it's lane.

this morning on the commute in, an oncoming semi tractor trailer turned left at the last minute. I managed to slow the bike down somewhat but nailed the right front corner or sdemi. vstrom is totalled, and my arm was dislocated from elbow. Gear did what it was supposed to, but need a new helmet, jacket, pants, and boots. arm should be better in one month, in a sling currently typing with right hand. driver said he did not see me! what a day. be careful out there.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
glad you're still around typing.

he didn't see you? really? nobody's ever said that before.
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 398
Sounds like the reply of our "professional CDL drivers" of America. I would get a lawyer and make them feel it just like you did. I'm not big on ambulance chasers, but damn I'm sick of this excuse. The only way they learn is thru financial methods...

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,083
Too bad that we can't carry Hellfire missiles as a countermeasure. That might serve as a deterrent after being used a few times.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 712
Glad you are alive and intact.

"I didn't see them," is in reality nothing more than an admittance of being inattentive while operating a vehicle on public roads. Could that be called negligent vehicular homicide?

Why has that excuse not been used as direct evidence in court as negligence? I can see a catipillar crossing the highway when I am traveling at 55mph, because when I drive, I am focusing on driving. I am under the impression that peoples lives are at risk when a person is not paying attention while driving. That is why they give large fines for DWI's isn't it?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 264
Find an attorney to translate for the Judge. I did not see you means I was not looking hard enough before I turned into you.

Glad you a still with us.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

sore all over today

It was hard to get out of bed this morning, and am very sore all over. Placed claim with insurance co, and got police report #. I do not know if other driver cited or not. Bike was towed to a nearby shop, and they said it is totalled. Fork, frame, and bars bent. Frame may be cracked. Gonna try and get over there to get my fusebox, bag mounts, and airhorn off bike. Insurance co said they will file the claim with other insurance co.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,326
Semis are big. Glad you are around to talk about it.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Too bad that we can't carry Hellfire missiles as a countermeasure. That might serve as a deterrent after being used a few times.

I hear ya!
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
SteelRain
Beer Cooled

Oddometer: 301
Dude glad to hear you are OK!

A few years back I had a VSP officer say he didn't see me when he did the same thing... in a school zone! Getting appropriately compensated (you deserve it) and healed are important, but you will be riding a new bike long before you get blood out of that trunip...but it will bleed.

Good luck and heal up quick!
XR650R (plated) - Disaster is falling in love with me; maybe I should stop flirting.
SteelRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 712
Hang in there. I couldn't walk without a cane for a couple weeks or I would fall over. Mine happened 9-2 of this year and it will still be a few more weeks before the doctor fully releases me and the lawyers can get things rolling, then who knows how long.

Your bike and gear will be replaced long before you get compensated. Just hang in there.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
This "accident" was totally avoidable.

If the truck driver had been paying attention.

Glad to hear that you're still with the living and not banged up too badly.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

a little freaked right now

About a month ago i bought the kindle version of proficient motorcycling, and started to read it. Work and life intervened and i forgot about it. Tonight I went back to it. The kindle app remembers where you left off. opened the book and the first sentence on last page read stunned me. "Like it or not, there are some situations in which you have no escape path should another driver wander into your lane."

Guess i should have read on last month. the paragraph following talks about inattentional blindness. Freaked me out a bit.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
WrenNH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
My own adolescent biker revenge fantasy revolves around each motorcycle possessing a disintegration field which would utterly destroy any solid matter coming within a distance of one foot of the motorcycle or its rider (excluding road surface).

I know it's stupid.
WrenNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #15
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
Glad you are alive and intact.

"I didn't see them," is in reality nothing more than an admittance of being inattentive while operating a vehicle on public roads. Could that be called negligent vehicular homicide?

Why has that excuse not been used as direct evidence in court as negligence? I can see a catipillar crossing the highway when I am traveling at 55mph, because when I drive, I am focusing on driving. I am under the impression that peoples lives are at risk when a person is not paying attention while driving. That is why they give large fines for DWI's isn't it?
Big +1
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote