Question Tire change in Tok?

Hi.
Doing the Taylor and Dempster in June.
I've found four 'automotive and gas' retail outlets in Tok:
  • Northern Energy Corporation
  • Young's Chevron
  • Toklat Napa Auto
  • Village Gas
Before I call them all, does anyone know if any of them do motorcycle (1200GS) tire changes and balancing?
Thanks
Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
The Dick
CFDVN/BRICK

Oddometer: 455
Why are you changing tires in Tok and nobody balances tires on a GS unless you are putting on slicks for the street.
The Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
XXMe
Geezer on the road

Oddometer: 1,076
I'm sure the locals will be along but from my knowledge, no. Tok is really just a scattered few businesses but really good food at Fast Eddies!

Back in Whitehorse, YT you have Yukon Honda who are really good folks! Most likely have to buy from them.

Then there's Adventure Cycle Works in Fairbanks, a small operation that's open 24hrs during the season. Dan is a great BMW mechanic and a great guy!

There's also The Dick in Dawson City! You can find him in here or he'll be along soon! Hi Dick! You can ship to Dick.

Hope this helps... Enjoy the ride!

Edit: Wow Dick! Getting so old you can't sleep???
XXMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,959
The person to ask is Vanessa, owner of Thompson's Eagle Claw Motorcycle Campground in Tok.

http://www.thompsonseaglesclaw.com
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
The Dick
CFDVN/BRICK

Oddometer: 455
Have to get up early to make sure the east coast has not sold us all out!
The Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
TravellingTartar OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thanks all.

You're probably right about the balancing on the TKCs, no major need, but nice nonetheless for whatever asphalt riding I do.

Why Tok? Because I want to change to my TKCs and it's the last stop before taking the Taylor and the Dempster to which I'll be riding in Tourance Next.

I emailed Young's Chevron and got a very quick and nice email reply saying that Bryce Conrad at Polar Equipment does bike tire changes. I'm going to call him and will repost.

Obviously, I can change in Whitehorse or Fairbanks or Anchorage, but if I can hit the gravel with fresh TKCs, why not?

Last but not least, thanks for the Vanessa tip at Eagle Claw. I didn't know about it. Will connect and see.

Thanks again all.
Jim
Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,957
Why not change in Whitehorse, ride up the Klondike to Dawson, do the Dempster, then ride over the Taylor to Tok? Just a thought...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
TravellingTartar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Why not change in Whitehorse, ride up the Klondike to Dawson, do the Dempster, then ride over the Taylor to Tok? Just a thought...
Hi. I actually was thinking of doing the Klondike on the way down. The reason I wasn't going to do it up is that if I change tires in WH I still have several hundred miles of asphalt on the Klondike which I wanted to avoid.

To be clear, I can change my tires myself so I could even do it in Tok or Dawson City alone but I'd rather save my tire changing energy for when I actually need it.

Emailed Vanessa; hoping for a response.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
XXMe
Geezer on the road

Hey TT take no offense, none meant but the 300 or so miles from Whitehorse to the Dempster won't mean crap to the TKCs... I put a used one on the front of my bike in Dawson City last year. Did Top of the World to Taylor to Tok, Glenn to Eagle River, Parks to Denali Hwy to Richardson. Down to Slana to Meet Alcan Rider. Slana to Homer. Homer to Talkeetna to Fairbanks then down to Valdez, back up to Delta Junction, over through Tok, down the Cassiar to Dease Lake, out to Telegraph Creek...... I'm getting tired of typing here!

Anyway, I changed my tires out in Denver! If I were you I'd just do what's easy instead of worrying about a few hundred miles... Strictly my opinion of course!
Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #10
TravellingTartar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXMe View Post
Hey TT take no offense, none meant but the 300 or so miles from Whitehorse to the Dempster won't mean crap to the TKCs... I put a used one on the front of my bike in Dawson City last year. Did Top of the World to Taylor to Tok, Glenn to Eagle River, Parks to Denali Hwy to Richardson. Down to Slana to Meet Alcan Rider. Slana to Homer. Homer to Talkeetna to Fairbanks then down to Valdez, back up to Delta Junction, over through Tok, down the Cassiar to Dease Lake, out to Telegraph Creek...... I'm getting tired of typing here!

Anyway, I changed my tires out in Denver! If I were you I'd just do what's easy instead of worrying about a few hundred miles... Strictly my opinion of course!
Hey, no offense whatsoever and, ultimately, you're right. What I'll likely do is aim for Tok, if I can't there, then I'll likely change in Anchorage on my way up and just drive the few hundred up to Tok. What can I say, I'm a vet military pilot so sometimes I overthink it
Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #11
AKTREADs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
XXMe,
A front tire ,even a Conti TKC80 lasts quite a bit longer than a rear tire,especially when steering w/ the rear wheel,,,,as one should,,,,in the dirt,,,, of course!

note;
A clutch -who needs/uses it,,,,,,just blip it,,,,,,up & down.
AKTREADs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #12
XXMe
Geezer on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTREADs View Post
XXMe,
A front tire ,even a Conti TKC80 lasts quite a bit longer than a rear tire,especially when steering w/ the rear wheel,,,,as one should,,,,in the dirt,,,, of course!

note;
Trust me Dan, I understand that! Main point was it was a used tire when The Dick and I dug it up out of the bottom of his shed! It had already seen a lot of miles but was far better than the mostly worn Scorpion that came off the bike! Plus I was trying to keep up with our mutual friend Ricardo! He likes to fly low!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #13
TravellingTartar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTREADs View Post
XXMe,

note;
Duh, option three: do the loop Tok->Anchorage->Fairbanks->Tok and change my tires in Fairbanks at... Adventure Cycleworks! Might just do that
Old 04-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,754
Dawson

Has anyone mentioned that Dawson Dick has tire machine to do tire changes. No charge but he does like a nice bottle of red wine.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #15
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider View Post
Has anyone mentioned that Dawson Dick has tire machine to do tire changes. No charge but he does like a nice bottle of French red wine.
Tidied that up for ya.