User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
BikerBill OP
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 163
Alaska From Kentucky July 2015

I'm planning to depart Kentucky July 10 for Alaska. Anyone else from the area headed that way? I'm solo so far but I'd like to meet up with another rider for all or part of the ride.

I'm a camper most of the time. I usually ride a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited, but I recently bought a nice used BMW R1200GSA for this trip. No chrome, and it's 300 pounds lighter than my beloved Harley.

I'm planning to stay in the university dorms in Fairbanks prior to and after my return from Deadhorse. I'm not really doing too much planning, but spending time getting my bike and other gear sorted out. I've read just about everything Alcanrider has posted on riding in Alaska. Best source of information I've found anywhere. His photo essay "Lure of the Haul Road" is inspiring to Noobs like me. Thanks!

Still undecided about what route to take to Canadian border then to the Alcan. I'd like to reach Fairbanks in 8-9 days then have about 8-10 days to explore a little bit of Alaska.

If the weather is really bad up north, I'll just go explore some other very interesting places. I'll take a Jetboil or some other camp stove and Mountain House camp food for times I don't want to go to restaurants, but usually I find a Mom&Pop cafe someplace along the way.

Bill
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
aufevermike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
That's funny, I'm leaving Alaska for Kentucky on July 10th. Don't forget to wave. Maybe we can set up a thread for our adventure??
Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
BikerBill OP
Motorcycle Addict

Alaska July 2015

We'll pass each other near the Canadian Border. What's your route south?
Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
aufevermike
Gnarly Adventurer

Route 16 yellowed to Winnipeg then south to the border
Old 05-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
BikerBill OP
Motorcycle Addict

How long will you be in Kentucky? What part of Kentucky will you visit?
Old 05-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
aufevermike
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope to be there by the 20th ( Lexington). At which time I need to fly back to Alaska. Then I'll fly back to lexington, ky on the 10 of August and hook up with a buddy of mine for a 3 day ride to the blue ridge and the Dragon. After that I need to head north east to new York.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
BikerBill OP
Motorcycle Addict

Ten Days to Lexington shouldn't be too difficult if the weather is good. I work in Lexington. Still planning to leave on July 10 for Alaska. So far I'm a solo rider. My plan is to ride to Fairbanks then to Dead Horse with a possible overnight each way in Cold Foot. Then TOW to Dawson City for ride up the Dempster.

Probably going to push straight to Fairbanks on the way up from Kentucky and slow down once I arrive in AK. Plan to stop for lots of photos and enjoy as much as I can.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #8
Herkjerk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Where'd you get your profile pic? I see people all the time with that one!
Herkjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
BikerBill OP
Motorcycle Addict

Herk,

It's a stock one off the ADV site. I dont have any custom avitars to use so I picked that one.

Bill
Old 05-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #10
vette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Alaska from Kentucky in July Too!

Interesting...leaving on the 5th of July...along the way will be first going to Yellowknife, NWT... back down to the ALCAN then up to Dawson City and over the Top.....will eventually hit Valdez, Homer...will take ferry from Haines over to Juneau then a ferry to Prince Rupert.. will ride down to Vancouver then head East... was up in AK. in 2009 up to the Arctic Circle..
vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
BikerBill OP
Motorcycle Addict

Vette,

You going to Alaska from Kentucky alone? I've been there before but not on a motorcycle. I plan to ride to Fairbanks then on to Dead Horse. If time permits I will ride the Dempster Highway too.

I've got 35 days to get there and back. Not planning any ferry travel. Might see you on the road.

Bill
Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #12
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,559
I'll be departing Ga on June 5. But will trailer to Co then ride.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995605

From Puerto Rico to Georgia and beyond...
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #13
mwarnick1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
My wife and I are riding two up in the Alcan, Cassiar, Jasper area in early July. Keep an eye out for us to say Hi. We'll be camping:

I hope to see you out on the road or around a campfire.
mwarnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #14
BikerBill OP
Motorcycle Addict

mwarnick,

Where are you departing from? We'll most likely cross paths some where. I'm a camper too. There is a rider from BC that I plan to join forces with in Fairbanks then ride north. He's leaving in late June then hitting southeast AK.

Have you ridden the Haul Road before? Do you plan to cook at camp or depend on restaurants and cafes? I'll probably do some of both. Still lots of preparations for me to complete.

Bill
Old 05-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
mwarnick1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I sent you a PM, Bill. If you drop me an email I'll send some itinerary info. We're leaving out of and returning to Alaska. Basically we're doing the Alcan/Cassiar loop to see if my wife and I can survive long(er) distance riding together. I think most of that comes down to negotiating the right number of miles per day and rest days?

I'm on the fence about riding to Deadhorse. It definitely won't be part of this trip. While the ride on the Haul Rd would be awesome, I work on the slope. During the whole ride I'd be thinking "Why am I riding back to work?"
mwarnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote